Burton Custom X Riding Problem - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Cool Burton Custom X Riding Problem

Hi guys I'm currently riding a 2014 Burton Custom X 162W. It's a directional twin board with 25mm setback. My bindings are 2014 Cartel EST bindings and my boots are 2014 Driver X Boots(size 12). My height is 6'3 and I'm about 230 pounds.
I have some questions about this board even though I've had it since 2014/2015 season. I first bought this board because it was advertised as one of the best carving boards out there(I started snowboarding in 2013 and currently my focus is on speed and carving)However, besides the lack of my ability to fully control this board, I deeply feel that I'm also doing something wrong with the setup thus not putting this board up its potential. I would say my skill level is currently intermediate - advanced, I can go down black runs and blues and try to do S turns at a lower speed, I can do it with full speed on green runes but I can feel that I'm not leaving just a single line behind me, def glide each time I try to switch edges.

#1 problem, binding setups. I"ve tried multiple setups of bindings, initially I tried to have a centered stance(the center of bindings to tip & tail with equal distance) however after riding for a whole season without much improvements, I decided to give it a different setup today when i went on the runs. I went with the reference stance on the board(+15, -9 duck stand), when i measured the tip and tail, the distance of the front binding to the tip is much longer than the distance of the rear binding to the tail. I noticed a significant difference in riding style as I feel my center of weight is always in the back, no matter how much i try to put weight on the front leg. I also noticed that turn initiation is easier than if i were having centered stance, but it is harder to control the board at a higher speed. I wash out all the time whenever there's an icy spot and the board just doesn't feel comfortable going at higher speed on toe edge. My front leg muscle was also getting a lot of stress than normal, while on the runs I couldn't stop the board because my leg muscle was so sore. Right now as I'm typing this I also feel like i just did weighted squats single legged, its ridiculous.

#2 problem, heel drag. I centered my bindings side wise to make sure it didn't hang over the board, however whenever i try to do a nice heel edge carving, i would lose all contact and just wash off right there. Should i push my bindings all the way up to the toe edge side? From my understanding having heel drag is worth than having toe drag.

#3 problem of the runs. I did more research on this board and apparently its designed for powder and backcountry. I live in east coast and all we have is crappy manmade snow and the weather this season haven't really been helpful. If i'm doing groomed/hard packed snow most time, will I be able to ever take this snowboard to its full potential? And with that situation, am i better off with centered stance even it has a setback of 25mm? If not, please just let me know I fucked up and waste 1,000 dollars for this setup , thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Custom X it's not a powder board. Freeride charger, groomer carver. In regards to your stance, your lg cartels and size 12 boots will/should be evenly centered between edges already, if I'm wrong then there's probably very little disparity from one side to the other. And regarding your angles, I always recommend to people struggling to figure out stance to hop on a skateboard, ride around and see where your feet are at angle wise. The custom x is a good choice fit the east coast, it's a bomber not a pow stick. Also if it's set back and directional, it's definitely not a twin. Do your best to center yourself between the binding instead so your weight is distributed equally on the boards sidecut.Cheers.

Quote:
Snowboarding, the pure awesomeness of it trumps all possible injuries.

TT

Last edited by ridinbend; 01-07-2016 at 11:11 PM.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Custom X is more suited to groomers than powder, you're fine with your board choice. As far as stance and set back, just go with whats comfortable. I also find that turn initiation is easier when set back, but not sure about the other issues you describe. That board should also be plenty wide to avoid any drag, strap your boots into the bindings and check to make sure you have even toe and heel overhang.
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 11:11 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
2013, unless you have been riding 100 or more days a year your not an advanced rider. Ride more
neni and BINGO like this.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argo View Post
Ride more
My thoughts exactly.

Hill time is your friend, spend as much time with it as possible.

Trace Snow User Name: Rain K
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
This thread should be stickied, for all those 'advanced' dudes who think they really really need, just gotta have, nothing else will do, a Custom X.
snowklinger and neni like this.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 11:48 PM
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Hound View Post
This thread should be stickied, for all those 'advanced' dudes who think they really really need, just gotta have, nothing else will do, a Custom X.
You go into a shop knowing little about boards. Say you're intermediate-advanced, 6+ft 230lbs guy, ride on the East coast and interested in speed and carving groomers..... the Custom X is in fact, quite possibly the best board to get for that and pretty much a perfect match. Kudos to whoever sold the guy this board.

OP: go get a couple of lessons and ride as much as you can. Also, learn how to setup your gear. You can ask here if you have any questions, or look in youtube.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
the custom x is a directional board, not directional twin. don't put any extra pressure on your front leg. your weight should be evenly distributed. i don't know about the 2014 but this year's 162w has a 26.0 waist and that should be enough for a size 12 boot. post some pics with your boots strapped into your board so we can see if there's anything off. and no, you did not waste your money. the custom x is a great board.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 12:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1EA View Post
You go into a shop knowing little about boards. Say you're intermediate-advanced, 6+ft 230lbs guy, ride on the East coast and interested in speed and carving groomers..... the Custom X is in fact, quite possibly the best board to get for that and pretty much a perfect match. Kudos to whoever sold the guy this board.

OP: go get a couple of lessons and ride as much as you can. Also, learn how to setup your gear. You can ask here if you have any questions, or look in youtube.
Hmm... now we've even got you lying to yourself. Kudos to the salesperson for pocketing all that commission - why no Diodes though? Must've been out of stock.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Hound View Post
Hmm... now we've even got you lying to yourself. Kudos to the salesperson for pocketing all that commission - why no Diodes though? Must've been out of stock.
Snow Hound I picked the entire setup myself bought them on discount online under 900. The amount of money I spend for something I like doing is none of your business. So yeah, here's that, thanks.

Tags
binding placement, burton custom x

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode