Help choose my board (newbie) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2009, 12:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
ah6tyfour

Default Help choose my board (newbie)

Hi everyone,

Been snowboarding around 7 times now through two seasons and am probably going to go much more this season since all my friends have their own gear now. I'm sick of renting and handing over ~$40 each time to stand in line and use crappy equipment. And so I come to ask for your help in finding the right board. I'm listing three, but feel free to recommend something that is not on the list.

I went to a Ski and Snowboard show this weekend and the guys there recommended three boards (all 2009 I think):
-K2 Podium ($250)
-Burton Deuce* ($220)
-Rome Crail ($180)

*Not sure it was a Burton Deuce or even if it was a Burton. It was a black board with lots of designing all over the board with skulls in a single color per size (red or green or blue). I spent the last hour online looking for it and am about 95% sure it was Burton Deuce.

Here's my info:
Weight: 165
Boot size: 10
Board size: 156-158cm
Riding style: Freeriding
budget: $400ish for boots/bindings/board
Your location of riding: Heavenly Tahoe, Northstar at Tahoe

I purchased a pair of 2009 Burton Moto boots ($80) and am planning to go with either Burton Freestyle, Mission, or Custom for bindings.

I was leaning towards the K2 Podium because it was relatively light and the design was not crazy. It was just a simple gray board and didn't have the craziness that the Burton board had. There were two guys helping me and one liked the K2 over the Burton and the other liked the Burton over the K2...they both agreed that either would be just fine. They both also agreed that I would grow out of the Rome Crail after a few more sessions.

So I come to you guys to help me. I trust whole forum of snowboarders more than a couple salespeople working a snowboard show at the convention center.

Thanks!

Oh, I also ride goofy.

Last edited by ah6tyfour; 11-16-2009 at 12:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2009, 12:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah6tyfour View Post
Hi everyone,

budget: $400ish for boots/bindings/board

Go earn some more money..
(Im serious btw)
sse9011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
ah6tyfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by sse9011 View Post
Go earn some more money..
(Im serious btw)
haha...I earn plenty, it's a matter of how I'm choosing to allocate those funds. =)
Old 11-16-2009, 01:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
haha...I earn plenty, it's a matter of how I'm choosing to allocate those funds. =)
Well put more money into it if you are SERIOUS about snowboarding. If you arent, just go rent.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
ah6tyfour

$400ish on last year's equipment should be the equivalent of $600ish of new equipment, right?

I'm just trying to get decent equipment to go hang out with my friends. I like snowboarding, but it's not my first priority. For example, I also need a bed...which seems a lot more important since I need a good night's sleep. I can easily drop $1,000 on a bed.

Anyway, I'd just looking for suggestions on a board that I can purchase for around $250-$300. That doesn't have to be the retail price, just the going rate online. Doesn't matter if it's a board from 2007. As long as it lets me have fun on the slopes.

Thanks!
Old 11-16-2009, 01:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

400 is enuff for a decent set up.

Ive heard good things about the podium as a solid all mountain board. Not sure about the burton deuce or rome crail.
If ur looking for a stiffer freeride board, few other boards u can check out:
rome anthem, burton custom x, NS premier

As far as bindings go....dont get anything lower then the customs in burton bindings. They are absolutely garbage. The customs or the cartels are good bindings if u can find it for a good price.
Id also suggest u to look into other brands such as union or ride bindings. The union force is a highly recommended all mountain binding on this forum. For a stiffer free ride binding u can check out ride CAD or Rome Targa all solid bindings.

its really not a bad idea to get ur own set up if u plan on hitting the slopes more in the season. Its a waste keep spending money on rentals and getting used to shitty boards and dull edges riding at 0/0 stance angle. I learned this the hard way after renting it for over 10+ days

Good luck with hunting down ur boards and bindings.
________
Washington marijuana dispensaries

Last edited by w3iiipu; 08-21-2011 at 08:55 AM.
w3iiipu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
$400ish on last year's equipment should be the equivalent of $600ish of new equipment, right?

I'm just trying to get decent equipment to go hang out with my friends. I like snowboarding, but it's not my first priority. For example, I also need a bed...which seems a lot more important since I need a good night's sleep. I can easily drop $1,000 on a bed.

Anyway, I'd just looking for suggestions on a board that I can purchase for around $250-$300. That doesn't have to be the retail price, just the going rate online. Doesn't matter if it's a board from 2007. As long as it lets me have fun on the slopes.

Thanks!

Hmm.. you are too late to buy a decent last year's equipment. If i were you, i'd just rent this year, and buy gear at the end of the season when it's the cheapest than you can get a decent gear.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
ah6tyfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3iiipu View Post
400 is enuff for a decent set up.

Ive heard good things about the podium as a solid all mountain board. Not sure about the burton deuce or rome crail.
If ur looking for a stiffer freeride board, few other boards u can check out:
rome anthem, burton custom x, NS premier

As far as bindings go....dont get anything lower then the customs in burton bindings. They are absolutely garbage. The customs or the cartels are good bindings if u can find it for a good price.
Id also suggest u to look into other brands such as union or ride bindings. The union force is a highly recommended all mountain binding on this forum. For a stiffer free ride binding u can check out ride CAD or Rome Targa all solid bindings.

its really not a bad idea to get ur own set up if u plan on hitting the slopes more in the season. Its a waste keep spending money on rentals and getting used to shitty boards and dull edges riding at 0/0 stance angle. I learned this the hard way after renting it for over 10+ days

Good luck with hunting down ur boards and bindings.
Thanks so much! Your response is exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to look into the boards you suggested.

Sierra Snowboard is having a 50% off sale right now. What do you think of these bindings?
-2009 Ride EX ($75)
-2009 Ride RX ($90)
-2009 Ride SPI ($110)

I wasn't focusing on that company so once you suggested it, they caught my eye on the site.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks so much! Your response is exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to look into the boards you suggested.

Sierra Snowboard is having a 50% off sale right now. What do you think of these bindings?
-2009 Ride EX ($75)
-2009 Ride RX ($90)
-2009 Ride SPI ($110)

I wasn't focusing on that company so once you suggested it, they caught my eye on the site.
lol i happened to ride all 3 bindings before all on my buddy's board. Its just difference in stiffness. I like the SPIs as they are responsive. But i think the RX will be a good option for ya.
IMO ride bindings are pretty well made or at least the construction seem durable.
my 2 cents.

If u do a search u might find some older review on these bindings.
________
KORNY live

Last edited by w3iiipu; 08-21-2011 at 08:55 AM.
w3iiipu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

$320 is about enough for board + bindings. And looking at last year's gear is the way to go for a nice discount.

My friend had the 2008 K2 Podium and he really loved it. He was 5'9 165 and rode the 156 and it's a great freeriding board. I tried it out as well. We don't have as good as snow as you guys so we are in the park more and this year he stepped down to a softer 152 board.

There are still deals at this point in the year. Sierrasnowboard is a good place to look for 50% off deals. My friend just ordered Union Force DLX bindings (I think 09) for $85 no tax and no s&h and there are still some in stock. The K2 Podium 2009 you can get for 259.90 from evogear with additional 20% off (20off coupon). There are other decent deals in the evogear outlet btw after you use the coupon. expires 11/18!

Last edited by sumo28; 11-16-2009 at 04:23 AM.
sumo28 is offline   Reply With Quote