My "predicament" - Gnu AG vs. Burton Custom V or... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2009, 02:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
CommonSense

Default My "predicament" - Gnu AG vs. Burton Custom V or...

I have access to prodeal on Gnu, Burton, K2, Ride, and Rome, and I'm going to get a new board/binding combo.

I'm looking for a good all-mountain reverse camber board, I live in Portland and spend a majority of my time at Mt. Hood, but I goto Bachelor, Baker and BC mountains from time to time. I live for Powder/Trees/Freeride but I goto park on bad days and want a board that's capable in the park.

I'm on a Ride TMS with Burton Mission bindings currently, I like it but looking to add a more park/powder-capable board to the quiver.

I'm liking the Custom V because I can get it for 250 vs 360 for the Gnu, and because I've been wanting to try EST to easily change my stance based on daily conditions, but the Altered Genetics artwork is astoundingly dope and I love Gnu boards.

Basically, looking for a fair comparison (ie I don't give a fuck about your opinion on Burton, but actually evaluating the board based on my interests). Also, good Burton binding recommendations, I like the Missions okay but looking for an upgrade (C60, P1.1, or another good freeride binding).

Other reverse cambered boards from those companies are welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2009, 11:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Don't buy a board based on the artwork. With that said, buy the Gnu!
---NT--- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonSense View Post
I have access to prodeal on Gnu, Burton, K2, Ride, and Rome, and I'm going to get a new board/binding combo.

I'm looking for a good all-mountain reverse camber board, I live in Portland and spend a majority of my time at Mt. Hood, but I goto Bachelor, Baker and BC mountains from time to time. I live for Powder/Trees/Freeride but I goto park on bad days and want a board that's capable in the park.

I'm on a Ride TMS with Burton Mission bindings currently, I like it but looking to add a more park/powder-capable board to the quiver.

I'm liking the Custom V because I can get it for 250 vs 360 for the Gnu, and because I've been wanting to try EST to easily change my stance based on daily conditions, but the Altered Genetics artwork is astoundingly dope and I love Gnu boards.

Basically, looking for a fair comparison (ie I don't give a fuck about your opinion on Burton, but actually evaluating the board based on my interests). Also, good Burton binding recommendations, I like the Missions okay but looking for an upgrade (C60, P1.1, or another good freeride binding).

Other reverse cambered boards from those companies are welcome.
hey whats up man. the alterd gen has a sick graphic every year. if you have proforms i would def get the gnu. and if you have a ride proform get alpha movements they are like 120 bucks proformed. i proformed them last years and love them.
CaRMaNiA666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

GNU! they make great boards, ridden many companies only ever owned gnu.
zacm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
CommonSense

I've been leaning Gnu the whole time but I've also heard some good things about the Custom V-rocker and I kinda wanna try out EST just to see how well it works and whatnot.

Also, I heard those Ride bindings are great, but more for freestyle. I'm really looking for freeride-first bindings that can go in the park on offdays.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Try 'em both out on a demo day.
---NT--- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
SMS1977

I was thinking about getting the Altered Genetics, but the smallest size it comes in was a 155 (so I opted for the GNU Kass with c2 in a 153). I agree with you about the graphic on the Alt. Gen., but make sure you see it in person before you buy it because it looks "different" (to me it wasn't as clear and kinda looked dirty/messy).

Anyway I still would have bought it if it came in a 153. Also don't go by the flex ratings on the GNU website. It says that the Alt Gen is a 7, but me and other guys in the shop where they had it for sale found the RC 154.5 (listed as having a 5.5 flex) to be stiffer than the Alt Gen.

As for the Burton...I always hear good things about the Custom, but I actually didn't want a Burton, in part, because of the EST "system". I don't trust those clips or the fact that there are 2 less screws holding my bindings to the board. Also it would mean that you'd have to get new bindings if you decided to switchto a non-Burton board.

If it helps, a bunch of people working at shops have told me that they prefer GNU's/Lib's reverse camber to Burton's. Also it depends if you ride on the East Coast or not...if you do you may want to consider a board that has magnetraction/vario sidecut or something like that on it.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
CommonSense

I ride in the Pac NW. Mt Hood mostly, which generally has lots of snow, but can get very wet in the powder, and icy at night.

I'm most def leaning towards the Gnu, now would be help with non-Burton bindings. Looking for some stiff free-riding bindings. I like the Rome Tergas, I can't prodeal unions...
Old 01-25-2010, 11:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
kungfuujew

i just signed up for this form so i can answer this question. i have the alter gen from 07/08 with normal camber and i love it to death. it is a little stiff to be in the park on boxes and rails but for back country booters and big jumps it kills it. i worked at chicks before it became dicks and i demod the the 09/10 board the reverse camber is awesome in the powder since you dont have to lean back as far. and if you tare thinking about the c2btx board like the dark series that is the way to go. it rides like a regular camber board does but is able to do all the bananas can, so thats the way to go. as far as compared to the custom with is an "all mountain" board which would be better in the park i think it might not hold up in the powder. as far as binding i would look into the new gnu like the AG's they are sick i am looking into buying a pair for myself this year i am burton CO2 from a few years back and i dont really like them and i am normally killing the backside of the mountain so i would look into another binding company, and those tergas were my first choice in binding till i tryed to the GNU AG's. hope this helps if you havent gotten the setup yet and if you did could you let me know what you got and how you like it?

Last edited by kungfuujew; 01-25-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
CommonSense

I ended up getting a Lib TRS (they were out of the AltGen) and Burton CO2s due to the hideous color of Targas and the fact that I got Driver Xs. I love the set-up, but I'm currently selling my Ride Custom TMS/Burton Missions/Burton Sabbaths so I can fund a new Burton Malolo. I tried it on a powder day, and it's amazing. I'll use the TRS as my daily and the Malolo for pure powder days and a chunky day board.