Need board advice! EMERGENCY!! Too lazy to use search!!! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2009, 09:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
MunkySpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Berkshires
Posts: 3,212
Default Need board advice! EMERGENCY!! Too lazy to use search!!!

HAHAHAHA!! I'M NOT USING THE SEARCH!!!!!

Actually, it's not an emergency either.

Seriously tho, I've got a question about progression and board flex. My wife boards. Not very well - she can tentatively make it down blues but feels much more comfortable on greens. She's not too interested in getting air or breaking land speed records... she just likes to have a nice chillaxin' cruise.

At any rate, I started her out on a NS Infinity (regular camber). She had a difficult time but stuck with it and conquered, going from beginner to novice. Last year we got her an Arbor Push and she was in heaven. It became apparent to me that the Infinity was just too much board for her too soon. She loved the ease of the Push, how easy it was to transition, and generally just felt a lot more secure on it.

She's been eyeing the NS RC boards however. Santa Claus is hesitantly thinking of leaving one under the Xmas tree this year, but I'm thinking may I should get her a Pandora and not an Infinity. The Pandora is a park board, and even tho she wouldn't step into the park for anything short of a date with Brad Pitt (lucky me, huh?), it's a much softer and flexy board than the Infinity, and I think she'd appreciate the easier time of a softer board. Given her low speed cruising, I don't think she'd even need any dampening from a stiffer board.

Advice? Thoughts? Most importantly, experiences?
__________________
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

10/11 - 24, Smote on Feb 13
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-18-2009, 09:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
mjd
Senior Member
 
mjd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: neverbored RI
Posts: 375
Default

Capita Space Metal Fantasy. It has unicorn on it.
mjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Wiredsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,186
Default

At last years Vegas show, I met with a group of long time instructors. What they had to say was really interesting.

The concensus was that the new breed of beginner boards (raised edeges, rocker-for-beginner, or heavy bevel) can make it easier for new riders to have immediate fun sliding down the hill, but they cripple advancement and teach bad technique.

In other word, these boards all reduce the chance of snagging an edge, but they do that by reducing true effective edge. Well...the correct amount of effective edge is required for hold on hardpack, ice, etc. Get rid of it and you may not be catching unexpectedly, but you have a whole new gen of riders slowly silding gutless turns.

The best riders out there right now can easily rip on reduced edge boards (the various rocker forms) because they learned how to edge on regular camber boards (full effective edge boards).
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
MunkySpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Berkshires
Posts: 3,212
Default

So your opinion is to let her stick with the normal cambered Push for a bit longer?
__________________
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

10/11 - 24, Smote on Feb 13
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkySpunk View Post
HAHAHAHA!! I'M NOT USING THE SEARCH!!!!!

Actually, it's not an emergency either.

Seriously tho, I've got a question about progression and board flex. My wife boards. Not very well - she can tentatively make it down blues but feels much more comfortable on greens. She's not too interested in getting air or breaking land speed records... she just likes to have a nice chillaxin' cruise.

At any rate, I started her out on a NS Infinity (regular camber). She had a difficult time but stuck with it and conquered, going from beginner to novice. Last year we got her an Arbor Push and she was in heaven. It became apparent to me that the Infinity was just too much board for her too soon. She loved the ease of the Push, how easy it was to transition, and generally just felt a lot more secure on it.

She's been eyeing the NS RC boards however. Santa Claus is hesitantly thinking of leaving one under the Xmas tree this year, but I'm thinking may I should get her a Pandora and not an Infinity. The Pandora is a park board, and even tho she wouldn't step into the park for anything short of a date with Brad Pitt (lucky me, huh?), it's a much softer and flexy board than the Infinity, and I think she'd appreciate the easier time of a softer board. Given her low speed cruising, I don't think she'd even need any dampening from a stiffer board.

Advice? Thoughts? Most importantly, experiences?

Thanks for bringing this question up Munky because I too have the same dilemna. My wife has a very simliar riding style and mindset which is "I'm out there to cruise" with the family. I bought the NS Legacy-R last year and have been loving it and starting wondering if one of the NS R's would be a good fit for her. Originally I was thinking about the Lotus or even Infinity but your point about being too much board got me thinking maybe a park board would be a better fit.

Sorry I couldn't provide much insight but I'm curious as to what others have to say.
coffeenirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Wiredsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkySpunk View Post
So your opinion is to let her stick with the normal cambered Push for a bit longer?
Hi Spunky,

Yes. Assuming that the board fits her, I would. Getting comfortable on one setup of well sized gear helps a lot. This is even more true when you are potentially swithching between camber and rocker. Big mistakes are being made in these swithches for a number of reasons. When you switch to rocker (yup, all variations) you lose at least some "real" effective edge, and some "real" running length. That changes things a lot. Eperienced riders can usually adjust pretty quickly, but for newbs this can mess them up big time.

If you want an opinion on here current setup, post up her weight, shoe size, stance angles, stance width and the size of her current Push.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
legallyillegal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: fuck Snowboarding
Posts: 4,477
Default

she found the infinity to be too much, but the push was just right? interesting...
__________________
THERE ARE SPECIFIC REASONS AS TO WHY I AM MORE LOCAL THAN YOU

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
MunkySpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Berkshires
Posts: 3,212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
If you want an opinion on here current setup, post up her weight, shoe size, stance angles, stance width and the size of her current Push.
5'8" 155lbs, 10, -6 +15, stance width beats me - default probably high teens low twenties, and 152.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legallyillegal View Post
she found the infinity to be too much, but the push was just right? interesting...
Why? Did you have the opposite experience when you rode them?

Point to specs and mfg recommendations all day, there's no arguing with real world experience.
__________________
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

10/11 - 24, Smote on Feb 13
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Wiredsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,186
Default

Quote:
5'8" 155lbs, 10, -6 +15, stance width beats me - default probably high teens low twenties, and 152.
The Push 152 is awesome for her.

The weight range on that board is 90-170 lbs, but that (common for most manufacturers) is too large a range for any board. If you shave the top 15 and bottom 15 lbs, that puts her at the high side of the real (typically 50 lb) weight range. That will leave the board feeling a bit on the softer side for her (while still being in it's range). Nice forgiving ride.

Her shoe size (10 women's) = 26 cm. Our internal specs have the Arbor Push 152 at 24.7 cm at the center inserts. That gives a barefoot overhang of 1.3 cm total or .65 cm for each toe and heel. Factor in her -6 and 15 degree angles and you are at under .5 cm overhang for toe an heel. It don't get any better than that

I say buy her a nice set of bindings or better yet, if you found a girl that wants to hit the slopes, get her a ring
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 96
Default

I find with my gf if you toss her on any males board it's a little to stiff and therefore aggressive for her. I'm putting her on my old Ride Kink 147 this year and if she likes it I'm looking into getting her a Signal Vita or Calliope because of how crazy soft they are. I too like to cruise and jibbing around runs, and my Park Series is very soft for that. I think for those reasons Signal makes some of the best beginner boards for females. They are incredibly soft and forgiving.
I have a Burton Jussi 153 that's so stiff I can't put anyone on it. It's far too aggressive and hard to control.
Anor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums