Saving a goggle lense! Help - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2009, 10:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Saving a goggle lense! Help

So, i have a set of Oakley A-Frames with hi-yellow and another with Persimmon. The issue i am having with the Hi-Yellow(my favorite) is that they now have condensation in between the lenses so when they heat up they fog and you cant fix it.

Is there a way i could try fixing this?? I was thinking of removing the lense and putting it near my heater vent to evaporate it out? Or removing a bit of the foam between the two lenses and wiping out the moisture and gluing the foam back in place? Since the lense is like 80 dollars i'd like to TRY to save it, to use myself or loan/give to friends new to the sport as i have new Feenoms incoming...

Also, what can i do to PREVENT this from happening in the future? I dont understand how water got in between the lenses...

Last edited by arsenic0; 11-18-2009 at 10:16 PM.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2009, 10:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

put it on top of a dehumidifier maybe?
sumo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Your best bet is to contact Oakley and try to get them to warranty the lense. It's jacked at this point.

I've heard very mixed reviews on dealing with Oakley's warranty department.
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

yea, got them slightly used off here..so no receipt...so no warranty..
Old 11-19-2009, 12:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenic0 View Post
yea, got them slightly used off here..so no receipt...so no warranty..
Well then, you're probably screwed. Ah hell, I'd give them a call anyway and see if I could get lucky and get in touch with someone who was willing to help me out. You never know what you can get until you ask for it. It's worth a shot. It's free to call and ask.
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Looking at the goggles i dont see what is so complex about fixing this issue myself...its literally just two lenses with a bit of double sticky side foam between them...assuming I can get the humidity out, by either seperating them slightly or some other means...i dont see the issue putting it back together...then like running a bead of superglue or something around the outside edge of the foam to seal it from any water being able to get in the future.

The issue with the design i think is that theres just foam between the lenses..if you get water in that foam from a crash or however you get snow caked on your goggles and it melted it could seep through the foam easily...

This is all assuming that there isnt a vacuum or something thats supposed to be between the lenses...but i dont see how thats possible with the construction they use. What's the purpose of having the two lenses anyways? Lol i just had a thought of removing the inner lense all together...

I guess theres no harm in trying...even ripping the lenses apart myself and going to buy a small thin strip double sided foam myself for a few dollars and putting it back together lol. So many ideas...

Honestly looking at it now as you can see in this picture its a pretty shoddy construction in general...like up there at the top of the lense there is like 1-2mm of contact between the inner lense and the foam...and the other side is way up high..so the inner lense was put on all crooked which could have caused this issue..and maybe get me a warranty...hmmm..
*edit* Hell as i look at it closer theres even more wrong..the foam isnt even centered on the main lense..on 1 side its bumping up over the notch that the goggles hold onto and the other side its a good 2-3mm or more above the notch...

Last edited by arsenic0; 11-19-2009 at 01:42 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would try baking it in the oven like people do with headlights. Put it on top of a piece of cardboard or dry towel, on top of a cooking sheet, on the middle rack. For something like this, maybe 200deg for 10min or something? For headlights we usually do something like 250deg for 20min.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Are you sure it's a dry towel? I've done this exact thing with headlights using a damp towel. The concern about a dry towel is the transfer of heat.
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

yea, id say damp, lenses are thin, not nearly as beefy as a headlight mold, i would use a space heater and a fan .... go easy on them
snoeboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenic0 View Post
So, i have a set of Oakley A-Frames with hi-yellow and another with Persimmon. The issue i am having with the Hi-Yellow(my favorite) is that they now have condensation in between the lenses so when they heat up they fog and you cant fix it.

Is there a way i could try fixing this?? I was thinking of removing the lense and putting it near my heater vent to evaporate it out? Or removing a bit of the foam between the two lenses and wiping out the moisture and gluing the foam back in place? Since the lense is like 80 dollars i'd like to TRY to save it, to use myself or loan/give to friends new to the sport as i have new Feenoms incoming...

Also, what can i do to PREVENT this from happening in the future? I dont understand how water got in between the lenses...
just aim your space heater fan at the ceiling and put the lens on top so the air/heat can rise through the foam

simple fix and is a lot easier than sitting there with a blowdryer

and yes it is an oakley-being-cheap defect

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote