Thread lock! Or not? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2009, 09:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
SpiderEternal
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Thread lock! Or not?

I didn't have any luck with search and the current topics don't really address it, so if I missed a huge "OMG LOOK HERE FOR THREAD LOCK" thread then I fail. XD

That said, what brands do you recommend? I see Vibra-tite, loctite, Permatex, in colors of red, blue, happy tie dye...you get the idea.

From what I've gathered on the boards I avoid max strength, so stick with blue? What of those who oppose its use altogether? I read in a few places it wears out your screws and can cause damage to the board over time, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

I ask because I was encountering issues the last 2-3 times I went. Couldn't carve, was losing balance all over the place; it was like I had completely forgotten how to ride. Well, turns out my screws were getting loose (surprise!) in a single run and my bindings shifted in opposite directions as a result. So I had my left heel over the edge, and my right toes over the over. :P

I did use tape on my screws from the start but it didn't seem to stop things from vibrating loose. Help?

Also, would you recommend sticking with the stock plates and screws or are there better alternatives out there 'sides the manufacturer?

A few quips about myself:
Last season was my first; I hope to conquer whatever blue square trails I find by the end of this one.
I'm pretty hooked on the sport...I'm hoping this forum will provide me good information and maybe I'll even get to meet a few folks...who knows.

I'll be lurking. ^_^

~Spider
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-18-2009, 09:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
xxfinnellxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Seattle Washington
Posts: 270
Default

i have a question about this stuff too. I know people who use super glue, but thats only beacause they know their stance is down to perfection. Im always experimenting.

So far i use plumbers tape. Works really well. probably kills the vibration because of its elasticity. But when it comes to thread locking supplies...i have no idea. Id like to know more about this too
xxfinnellxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
arsenic0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Posts: 2,106
Default

Small(and i do mean small) application of Blue Loctite. Not Red under all circumstances or it may never come out.

Most binding manufacturers do not recommend it, and sometimes using it can void your warranty(assuming they could tell?)...so just use very small amounts..its really strong.
__________________
'09 151 Never Summer SL-R
'10 K2 T1 DB Bots
'09 Burton Cartel Bindings
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,042
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenic0 View Post
Small(and i do mean small) application of Blue Loctite. Not Red under all circumstances or it may never come out.

Most binding manufacturers do not recommend it, and sometimes using it can void your warranty(assuming they could tell?)...so just use very small amounts..its really strong.
The blue does the trick...just a drop is all you need.

Funny about the warranty, my old rossignol bindings had blue loctite on some bolts that I didn't put there.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
john doe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,388
Default

Blue Loctite or Blue Permatex what ever is at you local autozone. Only use it on screw that thread into metal. This stuff can eat plastics.
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
avenged1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: canada
Posts: 323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderEternal View Post
I didn't have any luck with search and the current topics don't really address it, so if I missed a huge "OMG LOOK HERE FOR THREAD LOCK" thread then I fail. XD

That said, what brands do you recommend? I see Vibra-tite, loctite, Permatex, in colors of red, blue, happy tie dye...you get the idea.

From what I've gathered on the boards I avoid max strength, so stick with blue? What of those who oppose its use altogether? I read in a few places it wears out your screws and can cause damage to the board over time, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

I ask because I was encountering issues the last 2-3 times I went. Couldn't carve, was losing balance all over the place; it was like I had completely forgotten how to ride. Well, turns out my screws were getting loose (surprise!) in a single run and my bindings shifted in opposite directions as a result. So I had my left heel over the edge, and my right toes over the over. :P

I did use tape on my screws from the start but it didn't seem to stop things from vibrating loose. Help?

Also, would you recommend sticking with the stock plates and screws or are there better alternatives out there 'sides the manufacturer?

A few quips about myself:
Last season was my first; I hope to conquer whatever blue square trails I find by the end of this one.
I'm pretty hooked on the sport...I'm hoping this forum will provide me good information and maybe I'll even get to meet a few folks...who knows.

I'll be lurking. ^_^

~Spider
DO NOT USE. it corrodes your baseplates. I broke both mine in my bindings. just carry a screwdriver with you and check your screws everytime your gonna strap in.
avenged1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
arsenic0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Posts: 2,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenged1985 View Post
DO NOT USE. it corrodes your baseplates. I broke both mine in my bindings. just carry a screwdriver with you and check your screws everytime your gonna strap in.
Installed improperly yes...just dont let it touch the plastic and your fine..if you put enough on that it oozes out you failed at glue usage.

Check your screws every time you strap in? Are you crazy? LOL.

I would break a board over my knee and quit the sport before i would do something so dumb every time..
__________________
'09 151 Never Summer SL-R
'10 K2 T1 DB Bots
'09 Burton Cartel Bindings
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
avenged1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: canada
Posts: 323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenic0 View Post
Installed improperly yes...just dont let it touch the plastic and your fine..if you put enough on that it oozes out you failed at glue usage.

Check your screws every time you strap in? Are you crazy? LOL.

I would break a board over my knee and quit the sport before i would do something so dumb every time..
use teflon tape i think its called. its like thread lock but in tape form. and its not fuckin hard to check 8 screws you lazy fuck
avenged1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mountains
Posts: 9,924
Default

Fuck all that noise 3 dollar clear nail polish works wonders fellas. I swear people over analyze the simplest things ever.
__________________
Angry Snowboarder Because someone has to call it how they see it!
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
snowvols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 1,402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenic0 View Post
I would break a board over my knee and quit the sport before i would do something so dumb every time..
YES!!! That would be awesome to see someone do that. I could actually picture someone doing that with a long stream of cuss words about how they hate their life.

Just add a small drop to the screw and screw it in. That should do the trick.
snowvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums