Questions about buying a board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2009, 10:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
andyp

Default Questions about buying a board

I haven't boarded in like 8 years & I'm trying to get back into it now, so I need to buy new equipment. I have 2 questions about buying a board:

1) I'm a 151-152 length-wise. How much leeway do i have? I love the 2009 Burton Love 155, but would I be able to get away with that or would it be too big for me?

2) The Love seems to be geared toward the park. I don't do tricks or anything & don't really go to the park, so would getting a park-oriented board make a noticeable difference for regular riding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2009, 10:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
NZ_Josh

Do it - 155 would be good - dont buy a love - ab heard it called boring and lifeless. get a rome or a Never Summer or a couple others
Old 11-19-2009, 10:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
pythagorous

You chose that board and also want to size up because of the sexy graphic? not sure if that's the best idea but what's your size/weight?
Old 11-19-2009, 11:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
andyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythagorous View Post
You chose that board and also want to size up because of the sexy graphic? not sure if that's the best idea but what's your size/weight?
I'm 5'5 & about 160.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
andyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ_Josh View Post
Do it - 155 would be good - dont buy a love - ab heard it called boring and lifeless. get a rome or a Never Summer or a couple others
Another one I like is the Rome Artifact.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

I'm about the same weight and I'd say 155 works for 160 lbs, but if you feel at home on 151-152 just stay there. Don't change for the graphic. I started at 155 and i've gone up 4cm to 159 and i've gone down to 151 and for me those few cm both ways is a noticeable change.
sumo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
andyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumo28 View Post
I'm about the same weight and I'd say 155 works for 160 lbs, but if you feel at home on 151-152 just stay there. Don't change for the graphic. I started at 155 and i've gone up 4cm to 159 and i've gone down to 151 and for me those few cm both ways is a noticeable change.
Well I haven't gone snowboarding in about 8 years, I just went to a snowboard shop yesterday & they stood a board up in front of me & told me I'm a 151-152 based on that. I haven't actually ridden a board to be able to judge what's best for me in almost a decade when I was much shorter & lighter than I am now.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Oh ok it sounded like you were positive when you said you are a 151-152. But yeah they sized you up based on your height and 152cm for your average 5'5" guy makes sense. But weight is a better determining factor and someone around 160 would probably be more comfortable around 154-157cm.

That rome artifact is also a soft park board by the way.
sumo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
andyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumo28 View Post
Oh ok it sounded like you were positive when you said you are a 151-152. But yeah they sized you up based on your height and 152cm for your average 5'5" guy makes sense. But weight is a better determining factor and someone around 160 would probably be more comfortable around 154-157cm.

That rome artifact is also a soft park board by the way.
Awesome, good to know I've got a little more leeway with size. Does a park board make a big difference in ride quality if I take it out of the park?
Old 11-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyp View Post
Awesome, good to know I've got a little more leeway with size. Does a park board make a big difference in ride quality if I take it out of the park?
Yeah, most park boards are pretty soft outside of the park. Soft boards at high speeds are less stable and less responsive while carving. They do, however, preform fine in soft snow and powder if they are the right size. Last season I rode a Ride Kink everywhere. It's a park board, but I do ride park as well. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for someone that doesn't ride park at all. You should be looking at a Never Summer Legacy or SL-r maybe. Buying a board for it's looks won't get you very far in terms of progression. But don't go buying something super stiff right off the bat either, you might warm up to freestyle a bit and want something that can take it all like the NS SL-r. I recommend the SL-r because it's known for killing at everything. It's great for freeride, pipe, park and cruising.

And the Artifact has Bronze edges that suck (and I do mean SUCK) outside of the park. It's not a good all round ride.
Anor is offline   Reply With Quote