Possible to have Too Stiff of a Board Setup? Custom X and CO2's - Ions or Driver Xs? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2009, 07:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
bluefish

Default Possible to have Too Stiff of a Board Setup? Custom X and CO2's - Ions or Driver Xs?

Hey Guys,

First post here, but certainly not my first time riding. I have been riding for ~7 years mainly in the Northeast. I love going to Vermont when I can, but I find that most of my riding is done on some of the smaller (icy) mountains of New York. I would classify myself as a Free Rider; I love bombing down black diamonds and blue squares at or near full speed with my skier friends.

While I may hit a jump or two, it is rather rare. I don't do much grinding.

This is my last setup (used for three years):
Burton Canyon Wide 162
Burton Cartel's
Burton Moto's (Size 12)

The Board

Last winter, I was fortunate enough to go to Aspen and stay a few days with some friends. I boarded Buttermilk for the three days I was there on a rented Custom X wide with Cartel bindings. (Can't remember which boots I had) Long story short, the setup (and great conditions) put my Canyon to shame and I felt that it was time to upgrade.

This summer I was given some stuff from a Ski shop that I was able to return and in return I got a great deal on a new Burton 08/09 Custom X Wide 159. (Reduced Tag said $600, I Paid $440, which I know was not the ultimate deal, but its a great shop and carries a great warranty (Hickory and Tweed)) It just so happens that it was the same exact board, so I was totally sold. I probably would have gotten the 162, but all that was left in stock was the 159.

I know that this board is stiff, it certainly has the reputation for it. Burton rates it an 8 out of 10 on this scale. Burton (on their website) describes it as an "All Mountian Freestyle" board, but from what I have read, (using google and such) The board's stiffness prevents it from being too good in the park. Any feedback on this would be helpful.

The Bindings

For a while, I debated between getting the Cartels and the CO2's. I know that the Cartels work well with it (because I tested the board with them).

I ended up getting the 08/09 Burton CO2's. Using Craigslist, I found a guy selling a black pair in relatively good condition. New (09/10), they would cost $430, Price paid - $240

Lets just say these things are HOT. They are flat black and have a nice logo that complements my board as well. I got them because they are pretty much the same price as new Cartels and I have only heard good things about them.

Burton gives these an 8 for response and say that they are their stiffest bindings (at least EST-wise)

Which Boots?

And now for my final decision, I must pick a pair of boots to complement my setup. By no means are my choices limited to the Ion's and Driver X's, so if anyone has another idea for a good boot, feel free to chime in. (Although I do have to say that I am a big fan of the quick lacing system featured in both)

Driver X's
It looks as though the path my board is taking is that of having the stiffest possible. Therefore, it seems that these may be logical, as they are one of the stiffest boots on the market. (I may be able to get a pair of 08/09's for ~$170)

Ion's
These are Burton's idealized version of an All Mountain boot. Perks are that they would be good for any setup. I could use them in the park if I took out my old board (not the canyon) for a bit of fun.

So, The Big Question

I know that I am mostly a Free Ride type snowboarder. This setup will see lots of snowy (and probably even more icy) runs. If I don't plan on grinding, what would be the biggest drawbacks of having such a stiff setup? This question, from what I can tell, isn't very well answered (from google searches). Any input you guys have for my situation would be helpful and much appreciated.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2009, 09:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

I ride a 08/09 custom X 159W as well (with same year triad bindings and sabbath boots) and I don't think you can get too stiff of a set up. The custom X isn't UBER stiff, but personally I can't press it comfortably for my life (tail is alright, but I'm not centered on the board and I can't seem to nose press it for long). It rides/carves great, has sweet pop to it, but it remains an all mountain freestyle board that is more oriented to big jumps/pipe riding and just plain old going fast. I'm no freestyle genius, but this board does not forgive a false manoeuver.

6'2" 155kg regular foot +- 12 duck stance. Been riding for 10 years mainly Quebec mountains and trips out west every year.

(I just pulled the trigger on a Never summer Revolver-R 156... I've never dropped that much cash at a distance. )
Kingscare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefish View Post
Hey Guys,

First post here, but certainly not my first time riding. I have been riding for ~7 years mainly in the Northeast. I love going to Vermont when I can, but I find that most of my riding is done on some of the smaller (icy) mountains of New York. I would classify myself as a Free Rider; I love bombing down black diamonds and blue squares at or near full speed with my skier friends.

While I may hit a jump or two, it is rather rare. I don't do much grinding.

This is my last setup (used for three years):
Burton Canyon Wide 162
Burton Cartel's
Burton Moto's (Size 12)

The Board

Last winter, I was fortunate enough to go to Aspen and stay a few days with some friends. I boarded Buttermilk for the three days I was there on a rented Custom X wide with Cartel bindings. (Can't remember which boots I had) Long story short, the setup (and great conditions) put my Canyon to shame and I felt that it was time to upgrade.

This summer I was given some stuff from a Ski shop that I was able to return and in return I got a great deal on a new Burton 08/09 Custom X Wide 159. (Reduced Tag said $600, I Paid $440, which I know was not the ultimate deal, but its a great shop and carries a great warranty (Hickory and Tweed)) It just so happens that it was the same exact board, so I was totally sold. I probably would have gotten the 162, but all that was left in stock was the 159.

I know that this board is stiff, it certainly has the reputation for it. Burton rates it an 8 out of 10 on this scale. Burton (on their website) describes it as an "All Mountian Freestyle" board, but from what I have read, (using google and such) The board's stiffness prevents it from being too good in the park. Any feedback on this would be helpful.

The Bindings

For a while, I debated between getting the Cartels and the CO2's. I know that the Cartels work well with it (because I tested the board with them).

I ended up getting the 08/09 Burton CO2's. Using Craigslist, I found a guy selling a black pair in relatively good condition. New (09/10), they would cost $430, Price paid - $240

Lets just say these things are HOT. They are flat black and have a nice logo that complements my board as well. I got them because they are pretty much the same price as new Cartels and I have only heard good things about them.

Burton gives these an 8 for response and say that they are their stiffest bindings (at least EST-wise)

Which Boots?

And now for my final decision, I must pick a pair of boots to complement my setup. By no means are my choices limited to the Ion's and Driver X's, so if anyone has another idea for a good boot, feel free to chime in. (Although I do have to say that I am a big fan of the quick lacing system featured in both)

Driver X's
It looks as though the path my board is taking is that of having the stiffest possible. Therefore, it seems that these may be logical, as they are one of the stiffest boots on the market. (I may be able to get a pair of 08/09's for ~$170)

Ion's
These are Burton's idealized version of an All Mountain boot. Perks are that they would be good for any setup. I could use them in the park if I took out my old board (not the canyon) for a bit of fun.

So, The Big Question

I know that I am mostly a Free Ride type snowboarder. This setup will see lots of snowy (and probably even more icy) runs. If I don't plan on grinding, what would be the biggest drawbacks of having such a stiff setup? This question, from what I can tell, isn't very well answered (from google searches). Any input you guys have for my situation would be helpful and much appreciated.

Mike
i think it would be fine. 32 lashed boots are pretty good boots, maybe check them out if you dont want burton boots.
avenged1985 is offline   Reply With Quote