Disadvantage of being over weight limit of snowboard - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
female Disadvantage of being over weight limit of snowboard

Wonder of any of you gurus on here can answer a question for me. What actually is the disadvantage of riding a snowboard if you are over the top limit weight in the weight size chart for that particular snowboard. I really love the board I have now, and being rather short and my hip problems, I cannot have a wide center stance. I am using a board with a weight limit of 90-130 pounds on a 148 board. I hate to say, but I am OVER that 130 weight limit. I am wondering how that is affecting the board? Being over the weight limit, how is that affecting the board? Even if I get the next size up, 152, that top out weight is 140 and I am about 8 pound over that. Plus with the 152 the closest I can get the bindings is still too wide for my short legs to handle.

What are your comments as to what I am missing by riding a board over the weight size chart limit?

Thanks,

I learned to snowboard at 50! woo hoo!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
It'll just make it ride softer.

"People say that marijuana smoking is going to get in the way of my career. I say to them that on the contrary, my fighting career is getting in the way of my marijuana smoking." -Nick Diaz
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 11:57 PM
The Swiss Miss

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Three things: flex, lb/edge cm, lb/surface area. You flex the board more, could possibly overflex or break it IF you'd do butters, land on the nose. You also put more pressure on the edge, if you carve at higher speeds, the edge wouldn't hold cos you have too much force on it. And if in pow the board lacks surface to float with your weight. IF.

But for simply having fun cruising on the groomers, it's no harm to have a short board, especially as beginner/intermediate.

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

I only ride groomed runs - no powder, last time I rode powder was probably 3 years ago. I don't do park or butters, etc. I am going a little faster on this board than my other board and am enjoying this board. Fast to me is still probably pretty slow for most of you guys. I don't actually carve, just skidded turns most of the time due to the conditions, but I can make turns on the black diamond runs. I think for what I do, this isn't hurting the board with my "style of riding" and I actually found a board I like on the flats too! I've never ridden the flats so fast as I did today. So, I will continue on! Thanks!

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 12:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
You may be generalizing a little bit on the weight range. All 148s for example don't have the same range. I think you can find plenty of 148s for your weight. OR a 152 that won't require be too wide stance. Also, take a look at a Burton with a channel (or whatever other company has licensed it), that may allow you the most range for your legs.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by f00bar View Post
You may be generalizing a little bit on the weight range. All 148s for example don't have the same range. I think you can find plenty of 148s for your weight. OR a 152 that won't require be too wide stance. Also, take a look at a Burton with a channel (or whatever other company has licensed it), that may allow you the most range for your legs.
Actually the weight I listed are for the specific boards I am/was using. The Rossignol Frenemy 150 weight range is 100-140 - this is the board I was riding. The Rossignol Diva Magtek 148 (2011 year) weight range is 90-130 which is what I've been using the past 2 weeks.

I really want to keep with the Rossignol line as I like the RCR profile with the magnetraction for here with the icy conditions we have. The Frenemy has 40%camber and the Diva has 60% camber and I really REALLY liked the Diva with more camber. So, if keeping with the Diva 148 I was just wondering what I might be losing by being over the weight limit that they specify for that specific board. At this point, since I'm not an advanced bombing rider, it may be okay for me.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 01:40 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Obviously it's best to be within the weight range for a board. Being towards the higher end of the range will let you ride the board in a more playful way. Being at the lower end of the range will make the deck ride more aggressively.

As mentioned, if powder is in the mix, it's hard to ride a board that's too small. I would recommend finding the board you like in the size that suits your weight.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 01:48 AM
The Swiss Miss

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstx1017 View Post
I only ride groomed runs - no powder, last time I rode powder was probably 3 years ago. I don't do park or butters, etc. I am going a little faster on this board than my other board and am enjoying this board. Fast to me is still probably pretty slow for most of you guys. I don't actually carve, just skidded turns most of the time due to the conditions, but I can make turns on the black diamond runs. I think for what I do, this isn't hurting the board with my "style of riding" and I actually found a board I like on the flats too! I've never ridden the flats so fast as I did today. So, I will continue on! Thanks!
Yeah, you'll be fine with the board with that riding style. Have fun!
BTW: Bend your knees . Riding flats is a balance thing. You're better balanced if you ride low.

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 03:21 AM
Banned!

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
As a short dude with a decent amount of mass, I'll bite.

Started riding 155's about 20 years ago, have always stuck to that size give or take 3cm, always twin.

As I've gained weight (+/- 25lbs) these are the 2 biggest things I notice when I'm too big for the board:

-it will fold when riding critically in steep and deep conditions

-it is much easier to find yourself "over the handlebars" when sending (I get about as much air around the mountain as I can find)

Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 04:21 AM
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
As a short dude with a decent amount of mass, I'll bite.

Started riding 155's about 20 years ago, have always stuck to that size give or take 3cm, always twin.

As I've gained weight (+/- 25lbs) these are the 2 biggest things I notice when I'm too big for the board:

-it will fold when riding critically in steep and deep conditions

-it is much easier to find yourself "over the handlebars" when sending (I get about as much air around the mountain as I can find)
Haha no offense there Klangdawg, but you're the first thing I thought of when I started reading this thread, haha

But that size to weight scale seems a bit off, 130lb max for a 148cm?

That's a fine board, you should be able to chuck everything you got @ it.

TT

If whatever doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger.

Then I am so close to immortality

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode