Never Summer Freeride Indecision - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2009, 05:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
sweetgrassb

Default Never Summer Freeride Indecision

Yo Never Summer gurus! I'm psyched on picking up a NS for this season but am having a hard time deciding what would work best for my needs. I'm planning on riding some big steep AK lines this season, as well as some smaller heavysnow Northwest freeride terrain, drops, pillows, etc... and probably a fair amount of concrete resort chop-pow. I'm looking for a pretty specific board: wide, RC, and advanced freeride oriented. But I'm feeling a bit like I've fallen through the cracks in their line-up...
-The Titan TX isn't RC, which I want for float in pow... hear its a bit slow in pow until you pick up some speed? Definitely stoked on rocker for pow, and think it'd be hard to go back to straight camber from my banana Lib
-The Premier isn't wide, which is a must for my massive lower man-paws. Not looking for toe-drag on a 50 degree face.
-The Heritage XR seems to be edging out of the freeride zone a bit too much? I don't want to worry about losing control in the middle of a big line or while trying to cut through some chop.

The ideal dream board for me sounds like either the Titan TX with RC (coming out next year, I hear...) or a wide Premier... any thoughts on whether the Heritage XR can stand up to some serious freeride punishment? I've just heard mixed thoughts on it's closer-to-freestyle tendencies and am having a hard time placing it. Basically, could it handle steep AK freeride comfortably? Alternatively, am I worrying too much about the regular cambered Titan's pow potential? I'd kill to have RC on that monster but I just can't wait a year. So basically, any thoughts on Titan vs. Heritage? Much thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2009, 09:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i've been on the old legacy which is now the heritage and is a meaty board, and should be up for most serious terrain, if you want all out pow domination look into the summit R, i think you might have to order it directly from neversummer this year. Its their tapered pow board and from what i've read from BA they have kept it stiff enough to handle what ever you throw at it. As for how tapered boards do turning on hard pack, i spent a lot of days looking for stashes on my lib snowmullet and it can rail turns. Race boards have a little taper, and most skis do too and they have no problem turning. Only down side with a tapered board is riding switch in pow, i found with the help of the rocker switch landings and takeoffs are doable and thats most of the switch riding i do in powder.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

weight, boot size, etc...

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Don't get too caught up in the RC pow thing. Plenty of people rode pow before RC came about.
roremc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
sweetgrassb

Hey, thanks for the input. Heritage is looking pretty good at this point. The Summit is definitely a sick looking board, and even though I'm sure it can hold its own on steep/hardpack/corn/chop, I feel like the Titan/Heritage are more focused on those aspects and can also (hopefully) hold their own in pow. Besides, my Banana Hammock is what gets busted out on a truly ungodly pow day, and that isn't going to change for awhile, so my quiver is missing more of a true big mountain board than a powder deck.

That said, I still want that board to be able to hold its own on lesser pow days. I know its easy to get caught up in the reverse camber hype, but I've been riding them for two seasons now, loved it, and pretty much swore that I'd never go back. The only thing I found lacking was their lack of pop, which hopefully is solved with NS's RC tech. I really do think it's invaluable in terms of floatability, especially in the wet snow I usually ride.

Walove, just to clarify, did they switch the specs of the Legacy and Heritage a few years back? From some old threads I've been reading it sounds like the Legacy used to be the stiffer board while the Heritage was more freestyle oriented? Just a bit confusing. Anybody got any more input on the newer Heritage? Seems to be a less popular board to review on here than the Legacy or Titan.
Oh, my specs are 6' 2", 180lb, 12.5 boots. Thanks!
Old 11-20-2009, 04:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i thought that i had read about the legacy heritage switch a couple years a ago (hence the heritage name proven older design) Their website shows the legacy and heritage having the same flex with the heritage being more damp. But calls the heritage freeride. The premier is mid wide board in the larger sizes, depending on boot size it might also work. I'd get ahold of never summer and ask them. Flex ratings are so misleading seems like every board is rated a 6. What does that really tell the customer. Im working on my own test using some equipment at the university to produce actual measurements. Hopefully i'll have a database by this summer. Im working on a way to measure tip mid tail longitudinal and torsional flex.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

i`d suggest the heritage...
Slen17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

one other board to consider is the rossi experience, it was Jermey Jones design before he left to start his own company. Its is a true big mountain board, with nose rocker to help float. comes is wide too.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I'd say a F1-R.

My size 10 boots fit with out any toe over hange at all on my F1-R.
Not sure about 12.5 boots.

Where is BA or Vman... they would know if you'll have toe drag on an F1-R.
bravo_castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'd say F1-R as well. Unless you have a ridiculously narrow stance you probably wont have drag on the 159 and ups. The 161 has a 25.6 waist. 163 has a 25.7.
DBLdangerTILT is offline   Reply With Quote