2 Questions: Stance and weight - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2009, 10:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2 Questions: Stance and weight

Okay, my first question is about stance width. right at the end of last season, I purchased my first "real" board, a Rome Crail 159. I only got to try it out once ebfore the season ended, but it was fantastic (compared to me previous setup). I had set the bindings so that each one was one hole away from the inside-most setting. I weighed about 175" at the time and figured that would be a good place to start. And everything felt pretty good. However, when I really think about it, I'm not really sure what I should be taking into account in deciding where to set things up. Or, shoul I just leave well enough alone.
Also, I found a good price on an Arbor Coda over the off season and snatched that up too. Haven't reied it yet though.

My second question is this: I finally got my ass of the couch a few months ago and lost some weight. I bought both boards (Crail 159, Coda 158) with my weight at the time in mind, about 175. I now weigh about 150-155lbs. How serious an impact is that going to make on the boards that I already have. With the money I've spent, I don't really want to run out and buy another board.

Arbor Coda 158
Rome Crail 159
Ride EX
Fold is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2009, 10:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
davis

With the weight loss, the Coda is now rendered useless. Send it to:

davis
262 Green St
Johnstown, PA

It will look good sitting next to my ALT (eventhough I'm not crazy about the samurai graphic).

Seriously though, the weight loss shouldn't be an issue. I'd basically recommend starting your stance just slightly wider than shoulder width and take a screwdriver with you so you can move 'em around until you find what feels right for you. You're gonna love the Arbor. (If not, at least you know where to send it...)
Old 11-20-2009, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Heh, Thanks. I'll jot down the address, just in case.

Arbor Coda 158
Rome Crail 159
Ride EX
Old 11-20-2009, 11:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
davis

There must be something about bamboo Arbors and us "older" types. I'm not sure I've ever seen one with anyone under 30. Or maybe, us oldsters just have better jobs and can afford to throw down for the woody goodness? Or perhaps our tastes have outgrown hideous colors and graphics featuring skulls, guns and naked women. Just something I've often wondered about.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

do you know what your stance width last season was? if not you can measure in the middle of both of the 4 holes that you screwed your bindings into last time and you'll have the width of the stance you rode last season.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Leman

picked up a barely used arbor element with Ride binding for $150. waited in line for the doors to open at unclaimed baggage in Scottsboro, al for 3 hours. im 19 and love the look of the wooden board.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr0_Reps_Smit View Post
do you know what your stance width last season was? if not you can measure in the middle of both of the 4 holes that you screwed your bindings into last time and you'll have the width of the stance you rode last season.
I can do that. I've always been a little unclear as to how this is precisely measured. Do you measure the distance between the inside holes with the bindings OFF the board? Or do you put the bindings on a measure the distance between them?

Davis,
Yeah, I hear you. I love the way most of the Arbor boards look, the coda in particular. I dig the samurai artwork and I'm a big fan of the natural wood/bamoboo look. Can't wait to try it out!

Arbor Coda 158
Rome Crail 159
Ride EX
Old 11-20-2009, 02:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

if your bindings are on the board you measure from the middle of your bindings to get your stance width but if they arent on the board measuring from the middle of the 4 holes the bindings screw into is the same exact thing.

::: :::

lets say the inner most 4 holes are the ones that the bindings screw into you would measure in between that.

also some boards insert holes are 2x4 and others 4x4.

the board on the left is a 4x4 pattern which means the screw holes are spaced apart more so it can only sift in increments of 2 inches at a time and the board on the right is a 2x4 pattern so theres a screw hole every inch so you have more stance options.

if your board is like the one on the left just measure from the middle of the 4 holes you use and if its like the one on the right you can use the to screw holes in the middle of the 4 you do use as the half way mark for measuring. hope that makes sense ha.

Last edited by Cr0_Reps_Smit; 11-20-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Cr0_Reps_Smit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis View Post
There must be something about bamboo Arbors and us "older" types. I'm not sure I've ever seen one with anyone under 30. Or maybe, us oldsters just have better jobs and can afford to throw down for the woody goodness? Or perhaps our tastes have outgrown hideous colors and graphics featuring skulls, guns and naked women. Just something I've often wondered about.
Bingo! 42 years-old here. I bought an Arbor Abacus a few weeks ago and I love the tasteful wood grain.

Disclaimer: I did also buy a Never Summer SL-R this week but the neon green/black paisley/candy stripe graphics are killing me.

Last edited by Toecutter; 11-21-2009 at 07:40 AM. Reason: typo
Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
RallyBowls

buy heavier clothes. that'll solve your weight issues.