Board size for female newbie aussie ex-skier - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2009, 12:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
aussie

Question Board size for female newbie aussie ex-skier

Hi! I'm a total beginner female boarder - had a few lessons last year on crappy rental gear and hated it - gear didn't fit, board was trashed, bindings dug in etc, but I'm determined to make it work this year. And I'll be riding Big Mountain, MT, all winter so I'm buying gear. Burton Q boots, flow bindings, and I think I want the Never Summer Infinity-R board. Here's my question: what size board to get? I've read a ton of stuff about it, looked at all the charts, spoken to people at stores and am now v confused!

I'm 5'5 and weigh 105 lbs, size 7 boot. Folks are telling me all sorts of things from 145 to 156. I don't want to do park stuff, just ride the mountain and float through powder, and have control over my speed and turns. I'm not afraid of the mountain scene, being a skier, but I don't want to become afraid of boarding because my board is too long or too short...I also want my board to last me a few seasons so it's useful when I'm good!

Any input would be much appreciated - length for this board and reasons you think this length would work. This forum is great. I've been reading other threads, but noone is exactly my size etc, hence my post. Thanks a bunch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2009, 01:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

the smallest one possible

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I weigh the same and ride the 145cm Infinity-R. I would go with that size, especially if you are a beginner. The Infinity is already a fairly demanding board for a beginner and the longer your board, the harder it will be to turn.

I was married at Big Mountain two years ago (originally from Missoula) - fun times and a beautiful place. Have fun!
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
aussie

thanks legally! can you please tell me why i should get the 145? is it just because i'm so light? the inifinity-r is already a light board. i really want to get the one that is easiest to learn on and that will also cope with powder and trees because that's what we have up here. it seems like a lot of people are going shorter these days, but i also hear conflicting info that the longer boards are more stable because of more surface area and more edge, less chatter etc. i sure would appreciate clarification about why the 145. thanks a lot! aussie

Last edited by aussie; 11-20-2009 at 02:07 PM. Reason: want to name person who responded so it's clearer
Old 11-20-2009, 02:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
aussie

hi lilfoot! that's awesome that you got married up here! so glad to finally have found someone who is my weight! it seems like everyone's trying to push me onto long boards and i don't know why - they say it's for the surface area, stability etc and ability to get through powder and over flats. but then you and i are about as light as female adult riders get and this is already a women's specific board and they must design them for a reason... what kind of riding do you do? i know its not a beginner's board, but i want to get something that will last me a few years - its a hefty chunk of change! also, do you have the 2010 or the 2009 version? if its the 2009, is it reverse camber? i thought they only came out with the "R" in 2010 but i could be wrong.... i sure appreciate your input!!! thanks a lot!
Old 11-20-2009, 02:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well board length is determined by height, preference, and skill level. So you're light, which is part of it. You're also a new snowboarder, so you'll want one that's easier to control. If you prefer a longer ski, then perhaps you could go a bit longer on a snowboard as well.

For people our size, going "short" means dropping below 140cm. I feel most comfortable on boards in the 143-145 range. Longer boards are more stable at high speeds and better in powder, but also harder to control. Shorter boards are better for park, ground tricks, etc. For you, a 145 is a good size for all-mountain riding.

The Infinity-R is a great board, but probably not the best to learn on. Look elsewhere (perhaps the Pandora-R) if you want something that's forgiving.

The Infinity is great on powder, even at shorter lengths because of its RC technology, which helps keep it afloat.

I have the 2010 Infinity-R. The 2009 was produced both with and without the rocker technology. It is now only produced in the rockered version. I ride all-mountain. No park, but I really enjoy buttering and other ground tricks. I love the powder and the trees, and I spend a lot of time cruising the groomers as well.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by lilfoot1598; 11-20-2009 at 02:17 PM.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
aussie

hi lifoot! thanks so much for your help. i'll look into the pandora-r too...haven't thought about it - from the catalog it looks like a park board...does that mean it's easier to turn and therefore more forgiving to me?

i actually prefer a shorter ski - not a trick ski, but shorter - i used to use 165 (my height) but i prefer the 155 in skis....but then skis will get you across flats easier than a board anyway. and i needed fat skis for powder.

how tall are you? i'm 5'5....i feel like we are the lightest people on boards!

thanks again for sharing. its an expensive purchase and i want to do it right.

i'm also under peer pressure from a pro who is convinced that because i can surf and ski i will be attacking the steeps, trees and pow quickly. i don't feel that confident based on my previous experience with boarding. he thinks i need the 151 and is giving me hell for suggesting a shorter board. it sounds stupid but i live with this dude and he will be teaching me (he is a pro) this season. he's a guy and seriously good, and has about 12 boards all different lengths.

i will just have one so it needs to work in a variety of conditions and last a few years!

am i crazy to get a 149?

thanks again!
Old 11-20-2009, 02:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Umm board length is not determined by height but by weight. I am hoping that was a type o. The other criteria are accurate enough.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
aussie

hi killclimbz....thanks for your input. do you agree that i should get the 145? or longer? i AM a beginner but i intend to be good by season's end as i'm living at the mountain now, and i want to get into the trees...thanks!
Old 11-20-2009, 03:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You are just a little thing aren't you? I wouldn't go any longer than 151 off the top of my head. Since you are talking powder, a rocker board is probably the ticket for you as you are not going to get a big gun. Most boards or shops will have weight specs on their boards. A 145 sounds about right to me, but since you are talking powder it doesn't hurt to go a little bigger either.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote