What size snowboard should I get? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2009, 07:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ph03nix

Default What size snowboard should I get?

Hello, I just started snowboarding a few weeks ago and really enjoy it, but I'm a little confused about what size snowboard I'm supposed to be using. I've been renting the equipment up to this point, and the first four or so times that I went boarding they gave me a medium board, which is a 152 in length. I've been getting better, making linked turns and starting to carve, etc.. But today when I went, the guy at the rental place said I should be using a 155 board length, so that's what I got. I found it really hard to turn, and kept falling down I'm guessing I just need to re-learn turns, getting the new feel for the longer board and I'll be all right with a 155, maybe. But I don't know if I'm SUPPOSED to be using a 155.

I'm about 5'11" without boots on, and weigh 170 lbs.

Please help a confused newbie decide what board to use

P.S. Please don't just say "use whatever feels good!" Because, at this point, I'm still falling a lot and nothing feels good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2009, 07:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
lamarboarder720

you should have a board that's in between your chin and nose that's what i ride and its perfect.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

It's not as clean cut as being between your chin and your nose.... So please don't take that as gospel.

Your weight is huge, what you plan to ride most is huge, and your ability also plays a part.

Ok so with that... There's not a ton of difference between a 152 and a 155.... Imo a slightly smaller board then what's "normal" is a good way to go when just starting.

Unless you're riding mostly powder, the 152 or 155 should work good enough for your size and ability.

Also if you're new, I highly recommend purchasing a reverse or rocker camber board. The reversed camber will make it easier to make turns, and harder to catch an edge.

If you're going to buy a board I would demo some Never Summer, Bataleon, and Capita boards.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you're just starting, whatever you can find in good shape for a good price on Craigslist in 152-158.
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ph03nix

So, you guys don't think it matters whether I use a 152 or 155?
Old 11-22-2009, 12:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ph03nix

Thanks for your reply. By "+15 front, -9 back" do you mean have the front binding turned forward 15 degrees, and the back binding turned back 9 degrees?

As I mentioned before, I've been renting my equipment. So far, they have always turned the front binding forward a little (I'm not sure how much), but they have never turned the rear binding at all. Is what you're suggested considered the "duck" stance?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!
Old 11-22-2009, 12:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph03nix View Post
Thanks for your reply. By "+15 front, -9 back" do you mean have the front binding turned forward 15 degrees, and the back binding turned back 9 degrees?
Yea that's what he meant.
iKimshi is offline   Reply With Quote