Some basic gear questions - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2009, 05:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Some basic gear questions

I've been riding for 3 years, a week to ten days a season, and always rode rentals. I've got the basics down, and last year i played a bit on the kiddie terrain park at key. I'm gonna ride more this year, so it's time for me to step up and get my own gear.

some back ground, I'm 40, 6', 220lbs. size 13 boot, been wakeboarding for about 5 years, yeah i have a boat and ride about 3-4 days a week during the season. went out for the last time 2 weeks ago in Nebraska, and yeah water was COLD, I'm just stupid like that

On to my questions... on the water size and shape mean a lot, what's the difference in snowboards? All the rentals I've rode have been 155-158 but the size guide I found said I should be on a 163? How much does this matter? I ride pretty hard, and want to progress, what is a good set up for that? My budget is around 3-400 bucks and I'll be scouring e-bay and other places for used/closeout gear, what should I look for?
JeffreyCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2009, 07:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Snowboarding101

I could see you riding a 163, if you want to freeride a lot. If you want to hit the park at all I would size down from a 163. I'm about 6' as well, 170 lbs. and I ride a 157, but I mainly ride park. The main thing you need to ask yourself is what kind of terrain do you want to ride? As far as finding gear goes, look at sierrasnowboard.com They have 50% off all 2009 snowboard gear, so just search gear from the 2009 season.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Resident poet

Being a former husker, saw in your intro....nothing like riding the bluffs of misery
maybe a 162+ twin for misery and longer for key...really don't know...some big guys ride 178-210 guns on the big poo days out here...depends on the type of riding, terrain and snow conditions.

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 11-22-2009 at 07:28 AM.
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

wrathfuldeity, bluffs of misery??? Is it really that bad over there? lol

thanks for the replies guys, what I'm looking for is something that will allow me to progress in both freeride and park. I'll probably never get to real big air, or droppin in on black diamond powder, but don't want a total beginner board either. Made that mistake when I bought my 1st wakeboard, hated it, rode it about a month before going to an advanced level board. Also, how much difference is there in boots/bindings? In WB'ing bindings are almost more important then the board. What brands do you guys recommend as far as comfort, durability, and function? I've rode in Burtons and Vans in the past, both seemed fine.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Snowboarding101

I completely understand, beginner boards are just budget boards. I would recommend at least an intermediate board if you know how to link turns and are looking to progress. Never Summer makes some sick boards, but they get snatched up pretty quickly so good luck finding a deal on one. I ride Burton board and bindings, they have tons of boards that would fit your needs. But if you get a board with the channel system you have to buy burton bindings, which isn't bad unless you have been looking at another brand. Some other brands that make good boards in my opinion - Forum, Bataleon, Ride, and Capita to name a few. The most important thing to me about bindings is durability, although fit and comfort are up there as well. Stay away from any beginner binding, their low price is clearly represented in function and comfort, it just isn't there. I'd recommend Burton Cartel, Burton Mission, Union Force, Union Data, Ride Delta, Ride SPI, all will suit your needs.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

101, thanks man, I've just started my research and that gives me a place to start. i just got done pouring through about 30 pages of used gear on ebay. I'm watching about 25 deals that include boards from K2, Burton, Ride, Forum, Captita ect. I found some deals on Lamar, but did a review search to find that they are the low end cheapo rides. I'd much rather get a high end used set-up then a cheap assed new one
Old 11-22-2009, 08:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
dreaday19

I don't know much about men's boards, but once you do your research, I would keep an eye on steep and cheap for deals on boards. steepandcheap.com and if you scroll down on the right there are links to sister websites with other deals. Yes, I am a sac addict, but I only keep plugging for it bc it's so awesome.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

dreaday19 is right on about watching steepandcheap and brociety. Over the past couple of weeks I picked up a new Forum board and Cartel bindings, total price for the setup was right at $200. Rode it for the first time yesterday and loved it.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote