What if I'm not good enough for my gear? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2009, 11:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
ah6tyfour

Default What if I'm not good enough for my gear?

Thanks to a couple people on this forum, I ended up with what should be a very good board/bindings/boots setup.

But what if it's too good for me? Before buying, I was all about getting the best stuff I could at the best price and making sure I wouldn't need to upgrade again anytime soon. The more I think about it, then more I'm worried I won't be good enough to use what I bought. If that's true, then I'm going to have a pretty tough time on the slopes the next few times.

Have any of you ever been somewhat new to the sport (gone 6 times...finally learned to link turns....still falling at least once on each run) and bought equipment that you were not ready for? How long did it take you to grow into it? Do you think the extra effort made you better at the sport and made you have more fun?

Here's what I got:
K2 Podium 156cm
Union Force DLX bindings
Salomon Synapse Wide boots

I was super excited to order everything...but now I worry I won't be able to overcome the learning curve! The board should be ok, but the bindings and boots are pretty stiff right? I also bought a pair of Ride RX bindings (with intention to choose between the Union Force and the Ride). Maybe the RX will be more forgiving...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2009, 12:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

6 times and you got a podium... IF youre commited and love the sport.... you'll survive.
you may have a tough time the first few times but youll manage and have to compensate. The board will perfom better when you go a bit faster and harder...
Old 11-24-2009, 12:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default .

If anything it will be more easier to link turns as your equipment will be more responsive. You should be fine.
jaaxnikols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Even though your setup isn't as forgiving as you might want as a beginner, it's all of more than decent quality and brand new or nearly new. You're overthinking it. If you don't improve, it's YOU not the equipment.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaxnikols View Post
If anything it will be more easier to link turns as your equipment will be more responsive. You should be fine.

Sorry, but not entirely true.
Generally a more responsive the board is, the less forgiving it will be for a beginner.

My thoughts are that the most important gear for a beginner is a board with good flex. I hate taking a lesson with a kid who's bought themself some new flashy freeride board because I know they lack the ability to move both feet individually while they're learning on such a stiff board. Boots and bindings, bah, not such a big deal.
I'm not sure what the podium has but if it's a stiff board, I would say go buy yourself an old second hand board with lots of flex that you can use.
Also I'm unsure what level you're at, so maybe you're fine with a slightly stiffer board. A flexy board will help you initiate turns which in turn will help you turn at a slower speed.

Once you can do a strong edged turn, then start using the stiffer board. So yeah, I don't know you're ability but basically, as long as you're comfortable with the board, you will be okay and get used to the rest of your gear pretty quick.

Stiff boots can also hinder your progress but it's not such a big deal, you can loosen them if you really don't like it - Get them wet, walk about in them, store them with their laces untied and push the backs down to get out of them.
nzshred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Resident poet

Its not the gear its the attitude. I'm not saying that beginner's gear won't make it easier...but more importantly, its determination to pick yourself back up after getting owned, learning from your mistakes, using common sense, willingness to learn something and humble enough to take some lessons. Seen folks use old gear, boards that are way too big and stiff but they were determined...granted a steep learning curve with substantial consequences but they eventually became pretty damm good riders. And I would argue that learning on a stiff advanced board gave them better percise skills and eventually, more over all confidence.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

Just stay positive and keep practicing and eventually you'll be used to your gear.
iKimshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah6tyfour View Post
But what if it's too good for me?
If you're actually starting a thread to ask that question, it IS too good for you, but not because of your ability level. I'll PM you my address and you can send it all to me. Does that make you feel better?

10/11 - 24, Smote on Feb 13
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

Im worring about the same but ill get used to it sometime.. I hope..
Old 11-24-2009, 08:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default What if I'm not good enough for my gear? Reply to Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzshred View Post
Sorry, but not entirely true.
Generally a more responsive the board is, the less forgiving it will be for a beginner.

My thoughts are that the most important gear for a beginner is a board with good flex. I hate taking a lesson with a kid who's bought themself some new flashy freeride board because I know they lack the ability to move both feet individually while they're learning on such a stiff board. Boots and bindings, bah, not such a big deal.
I'm not sure what the podium has but if it's a stiff board, I would say go buy yourself an old second hand board with lots of flex that you can use.
Also I'm unsure what level you're at, so maybe you're fine with a slightly stiffer board. A flexy board will help you initiate turns which in turn will help you turn at a slower speed.

Once you can do a strong edged turn, then start using the stiffer board. So yeah, I don't know you're ability but basically, as long as you're comfortable with the board, you will be okay and get used to the rest of your gear pretty quick.

Stiff boots can also hinder your progress but it's not such a big deal, you can loosen them if you really don't like it - Get them wet, walk about in them, store them with their laces untied and push the backs down to get out of them.

- yeah I think it is prety obvious to most people that a softer board will be easier to learn to ride on. But back in the mid to late 1990s rental shops had step in boots and bindings at a lot of resorts, generally stiffer boards and many people learn't to ride fine on those. This set up is not anywhere as bad as those so I can't see it being that hard to learn on.
jaaxnikols is offline   Reply With Quote