Beginner needs help with a board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2009, 04:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Gen

Default Beginner needs help with a board

First of all the info I've got from the forum is priceless. I think I've read for 2hrs or more (all about every other persons exp with their eq).
Then, on to my point. I'm 5.6 - 5.7, +- 150, size 9 US boots.
I've had about 16hours of boarding time on the slopes (inside) with old Atomic boards rental eq (no idea what model, they had no graphics.
I don't have the possibility to test boards around here (Belgium), let alone get advice from local stores who only sell Burton and Ride.

I'm looking for something that is more piste oriented rather than park (I will try it though 90%freeride/style - 10%park) and I like riding fakie. So a 5-6 Flex should be ok? I don't need to race every time.
What I'm looking for is 300-500$ incl shipment tops.

I've found 2 that might be ok:
- Burton Blunt (<recommended by the local stores, sell mostly burton, more, the 154 has a width of 252)
- Atomic Hatchet (good reviews on other forums + a few bad reviews here, the graphics look overkill on the 2010, they even say ugly)

I'd really apreciate if you guys/gals could help me get a board that will get me hooked to snowboarding.

Btw, maybe important to mention, being a rookie I bought a Bullet (mistake) which I'm about to sell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2009, 05:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
oxi

I'm in almost exactly the same situation as you and I'm about the same in build. Bought last years hatchet for cheap off evogear. Don't know if you can get that option being in Belgium. I want to learn more park though, so I'm not too sure if it'll suit you that much. Both the Blunt and the Hatchet are park boards and although all the reviews say that they are able to hold their own freeriding you'll probably be better off getting a freeride oriented board.
oxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Gen

Are there any that come to mind?
I've been looking at the atomic & volkl. It seems that most of the boards (all manufacturars) are freestyle. I just need a board that can hold up. I will most likely go once or twice a year to the mountains. The rest will be inside piste on fake snow (500 meters long). So I won't be going as fast as I'm on the mountains anyway.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Snowboarding101

The burton blunt is a good beginner board. I dont have any experience with atomic, so I cant speak for them. Some others I would recommend - Forum Recon, Ride Agenda, Rome Cheaptrick, Rome Crail, K2 Anagram. All of these boards will suit your needs without emptying your wallet. I'd say shop around and see what board you can get the best price on. Some recommended sites if you want to shop online - Sierrasnowboard.com (50% off all '09 gear), Backcountry.com, Thehouse.com. I noticed you included the waist width on the burton, its a good thing to look at but if you wear a size 9 boot i wouldn't worry too much, you'll be able to fit on just about any board width. So don't look into wide boards, as they will only lessen board response for you.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Gen

Well, I've upped the price range a bit, and was looking at Ride's DH2 & Machete.
My preference went to the Machete. The DH2 looked like it was made for more freeriding?

I've always read good comments about the cartels&burtons = quality? But I presume there are other bindings that are 95% the same?