Drake King vs Rossignol Viper bindings? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2009, 10:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
danpluso

Default Drake King vs Rossignol Viper bindings?

Hey guys I had another thread about this but it wasn't specifically about the bindings and it didn't get much attention.

I did get help from one guy (thanks) but I was hoping to get more opinions than just one.

So I have an option between two snowboard pacakges:
1ST Package: $399
Snowboard: Rossignol Contrast
Bindings: Rossignol Viper V1
Boots: Northwave Reign

2ND Package: $499
Snowboard: Rossignol Imperial
Bindings: Drake King
Boots: Northwave Reign

From what others have told me the boards are pretty much the same so I have shifted my decision solely on the bindings.

Are the drake bindings worth the extra $100? I have heard that the boots will fit those bindings better since they are the same company.
Is the non-adjustable toe strap going to be a big deal? Or will it easily fit any normal sized boot?
The heel cup on the Viper is apparently hollow. Obviously going to be lighter but will it be as strong as the drakes heel cup?
I am a big overweight fellow so I would want to get a stronger sturdy binding.

Last edited by danpluso; 11-25-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2009, 04:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
danpluso

BUMP

anyone
Old 11-29-2009, 05:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default .

I didn't reply to this thread as I replied to your other thread, so I figured you wanted someone else's opinion.

I would say go for the Drake King, as the metal heelcup will be stronger.

- Ah you are correct, I guess Rossignol made some changes in their design.
I'd go with whatever your stoked on, you can always upgrade to better bindings next season.

Well, enough of my opinion, good luck with the choice, and have fun riding this season!

Last edited by jaaxnikols; 11-29-2009 at 05:37 PM. Reason: - correction -
jaaxnikols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
danpluso

Correct, I was looking for at least one other opinion. Not to say I didn't find your posts helpful. Just that the more opinions the better IMO.

I actually thought the rossignol had metal heelcups. Just checked the site and it indeed says "Adjustable 6082 T6 aluminum heelcup"

The drakes do look stronger though so I will probably just go with the drakes.

Last edited by danpluso; 11-29-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

do you have to go with a package? I know the price maybe worth it, but what if you like the board and binding but the boots kill your feet? Or you like the boots and everything sucks? I think packages rarely go over well. Everything is personal pref, and unless you get to put your own package together, i would say build your own set up. May cost a little more, but i think it will be more money worth spent.
Volcom Outerwear
Giro Goggles
ATOTony76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
alasdairm

^ this is good advice.

instead of buying a package, buy the items you want separately. if cost is an issue, consider used gear - you can get great value for money buying used.

alasdair
Old 11-29-2009, 07:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
danpluso

The package deal reduces the price greatly.

If I was to take the $400 package, it would cost me around $300 for just the board.

I would say I am a pretty good snowboarder but I am still new to the gear and have only ridden rental boards or really old crappy boards. So I don't think I would know any better from one board to another or the difference from bindings.

The boots however I can obviously tell if they fit good when I try them on. So as long as the boots feel comfortable and fit me good I see no reason to not go with the package deal.

If I buy a used setup then I don't really have any options either. Its hard enough finding a used setup around here that is my size let alone something that is good. Most used boards for sale around here are either cheap Lamar boards are too small Burton boards. Then I would most likely want to buy the boots new to get a good fit which would cost around $150-$200 alone. Minus the warranty on the board and bindings when buying used and I don't see how it would be better then a package deal.

Last edited by danpluso; 11-29-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
alasdairm

why do you have to find gear "around here". you obviously have internet access so you can find gear all over the web

i just thought it was interesting how much emphasis you were putting on the bindings. if i was buying a set up from scratch, i would find boots that fit perfectly, then choose the board then choose the bindings. ymmv, obviously.

alasdair
Old 11-29-2009, 07:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpluso View Post
The package deal reduces the price greatly.

If I was to take the $400 package, it would cost me around $300 for just the board.

I would say I am a pretty good snowboarder but I am still new to the gear and have only ridden rental boards or really old crappy boards. So I don't think I would know any better from one board to another or the difference from bindings.

The boots however I can obviously tell if they fit good when I try them on. So as long as the boots feel comfortable and fit me good I see no reason to not go with the package deal.

If I buy a used setup then I don't really have any options either. Its hard enough finding a used setup around here that is my size let alone something that is good. Most used boards for sale around here are either cheap Lamar boards are too small Burton boards. Then I would most likely want to buy the boots new to get a good fit which would cost around $150-$200 alone. Minus the warranty on the board and bindings when buying used and I don't see how it would be better then a package deal.
Your just not looking hard enough

Im not one for buying much new gear because i know i can find it used for cheaper and in good condition!! I just bought a one year old libtech skate banana for 150 dollars and the thing has barely been used. The previous owner was one of those must get a new board every season even if the one i have is still brand new.

Being new to a sport is always hard but you have to have some buddies out their that can let you borrow some gear so you can check different styles of equipment and feels. Take your time and do some research, you will not be disappointed. There is nothing worse then heading up to your local hill and being displeased with your gear because you bought it in a package. Trying going to a local shop as well, sometimes they will let you demo a board as well as some bindings. I think most rental shops will also let you do that if you ask for a performance rental.
Volcom Outerwear
Giro Goggles
ATOTony76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
danpluso

Quote:
Originally Posted by alasdairm View Post
why do you have to find gear "around here". you obviously have internet access so you can find gear all over the web

i just thought it was interesting how much emphasis you were putting on the bindings. if i was buying a set up from scratch, i would find boots that fit perfectly, then choose the board then choose the bindings. ymmv, obviously.

alasdair

Because the package deals are the best band for your buck I can find and the only significant difference between the two packages is the bindings.

Now you are recommending I buy a snowboard and bindings without even looking at them in person and then pay a high shipping charge? I just don't see how it would work out better to buy a used board that could have damage the seller isn't telling me about and then not have a warranty.