NS sl-r v.s libtech TRS btx - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2009, 08:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
backcountryplz

Default NS sl-r v.s libtech TRS btx

Looking for a new board this season and I narrowed it down between these two. Both seem pretty comparable. Something tells me that the trs might hold an edge better than the sl-r because of the magne traction but I haven't read anything that has said that.. the trs is a little more flashy looking which i kinda like but the sl-r is cheaper by a little and I get the feeling that it will hold together better from what I've been reading about the trs.. Any suggestions? also, does anyone know where lib tech's factories are?

also, is the gnu riders choice comparable in quality to either of these boards? it's a lot cheaper (with a discount at tactics)....

Last edited by backcountryplz; 11-26-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2009, 12:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
frosty1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by backcountryplz View Post
Looking for a new board this season and I narrowed it down between these two. Both seem pretty comparable. Something tells me that the trs might hold an edge better than the sl-r because of the magne traction but I haven't read anything that has said that.. the trs is a little more flashy looking which i kinda like but the sl-r is cheaper by a little and I get the feeling that it will hold together better from what I've been reading about the trs.. Any suggestions? also, does anyone know where lib tech's factories are?

also, is the gnu riders choice comparable in quality to either of these boards? it's a lot cheaper (with a discount at tactics)....

They make Lib an GNU in Washignton near Canada and are made excellent!
Old 11-27-2009, 01:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by backcountryplz View Post

Solid picks. If you are riding ice coast, the MTX on the TRS will help a lot with edge hold. This doesn't mean you can't go with the SL-R. Also, I think the TRS is a little stiffer than the SL-R, not completely positive on that one though. Tough decision, but I'd say you'll be happy with whatever you pick.
jyjuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

I haven't ridden either one but the SL-R does have vario grip which is somewhat similar to the magnetraction in terms of holding an edge on hardpack or ice.
GC24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I've had several boards with MTX and BTX, but from what my research I've concluded that NS RC tech > Lib/Gnu BTX. C2BTX is what I'd want from Mervin. NS Vario Grip is supposed to be similar to Magnetraction, but I think MTX is probably a bit better.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you ride in a place where ice is going to a major concern then the BTX. Otherwise I would take the SL-R. I've got a TRS MTX and my next board will be something C2 BTX because ice is a huge concern for my hill.
john doe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

I own a 158 SL-R and my buddy has a 158 banana skate (its not a TRS BTX but i'm gonna assume they aren't that different, I think that the TRS is just a stiffer version of the banana) I rode his board yesterday, and the difference I noticed is that the SL-R is lighter but has less flex than the banana, so I think that the TRS is similar in flex to the SL-R if not slightly stiffer than it.

Vario Grip from what I can tell seems to be a more subtle version of MTX.

Not sure if that helped, but that's my .02
Airbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thx for this question, this is question almost exactly same as what i wanted to ask. I get ice a lot too..
Lib Tech T. Rice Pro Model C2BTX Banana Rocker Snowboard 2010 : Snowboards | evo
Lib Tech T. Rice Pro Model MTX Snowboard 2010 : Snowboards | evo
These models are good too maybe you should consider it too.

And you are talking about this model right?
Lib Tech TRS BTX Banana Rocker Snowboard 2010 : Snowboards | evo
sse9011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
RallyBowls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbourne View Post
I own a 158 SL-R and my buddy has a 158 banana skate (its not a TRS BTX but i'm gonna assume they aren't that different, I think that the TRS is just a stiffer version of the banana) I rode his board yesterday, and the difference I noticed is that the SL-R is lighter but has less flex than the banana, so I think that the TRS is similar in flex to the SL-R if not slightly stiffer than it.

Vario Grip from what I can tell seems to be a more subtle version of MTX.

Not sure if that helped, but that's my .02
Dude I've seen both magnetraxion and vario grip and in no way is vario grip a 'subtle' magnetraxion. in fact, vario grip looks if anything like a regular progressive sidecut with a flat part between the bindings. people should just refer to the "sidecut design" rather than saying "it's like mtx, but a little different". I mean, any sidecut could technically be "like mtx" based on how it rides. Just because the brand calls their sidecut design something without the word "sidecut" it doesn't make it "like magnetraxion". People seem to be creating the illusion that there are normal "sidecuts" and everything else is "like mtx", when there are plenty of other sidecut technologies out there that are unique but nothing like the shape of mtx.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyBowls View Post
Dude I've seen both magnetraxion and vario grip and in no way is vario grip a 'subtle' magnetraxion. in fact, vario grip looks if anything like a regular progressive sidecut with a flat part between the bindings. people should just refer to the "sidecut design" rather than saying "it's like mtx, but a little different". I mean, any sidecut could technically be "like mtx" based on how it rides. Just because the brand calls their sidecut design something without the word "sidecut" it doesn't make it "like magnetraxion". People seem to be creating the illusion that there are normal "sidecuts" and everything else is "like mtx", when there are plenty of other sidecut technologies out there that are unique but nothing like the shape of mtx.
Good answer. But if you know, what does C2BTX do? I mean, mtx is 499 and c2btx is 550, what is better with c2btx?
sse9011 is offline   Reply With Quote