Just wondering if i made a good choice... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2009, 07:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Just wondering if i made a good choice...

Hey guys, i just joined this site in the hopes of finding a site that has a few less morons than snowboard.com... anyways, i got a new set-up this year and i was really questioning my decision, i've only been snowboarding for a year and a half and i dont ahve a whole lot of experience so i guess i dont really know what im talking about when it comes to snowboarding lol.
so my boots are fine, i got last years model of the 32 lashed boots for very cheap and brand new so thats great but i bought a board/binding package from zumiez and i decided to go with an aperture board which is the zumiez brand... i guess they put their logo on generic snowboards or something. I was sort of on a budget since i'm 16 and my parents are the ones paying for my equipment. also i got the board in 156 which actually seems to be good in size for me but i've heard of guys that are like 6 feet tall using 152's... i'm 5'8 and 145-50 pounds depending on if i had a big diner or not lol. The hill that i ride isn't very big so i mostly just freeride, i do some boxes and rails, quite a bit of ramps and thats about it... i'm kinda worried that the length of my board is going to affect the ramps part.

The bindings i got are Burton Freestyles which im not too worried about, i've heard they are good bindings for someone like me who doesn't ride on a huge hill and isn't doing fifty foot kickers...

Anyways, let me know what you think it would be greatly appreciated...
,Thanks.

(The board that made me question my decision was a forum manual and forum recon board/binding combo on ccs.com, i'm pretty sure that would have been a much better decision)
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2009, 08:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Welcome. I haven't been here long but everyone is pretty cool.

Setup will do the trick I think. I am 5'11 and 170 lbs ish. I ride a 160 and its the shit. Park guys always have smaller boards than free riders. You will be ok in the park. Mine works ok but i dont do park often. i'm a bit more trees and steep.
roremc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You should be just fine for now Wiggles.

Down the road you may want to upgrade but for now I don't see your setup being an issue. Maybe once you figure out exactly what you want to do, you will then buy a board specifically for that. I personally own a park board for park and a freestyle board for my all mountain stuff. I originally bought the freestyle board to handle both my park and all mountain activities, but had to buy a park board to help with the specifics of that style of riding.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
CUtuningguy

Sounds like a good setup. Starting out the important thing is just to ride, and have fun. You will be improving so fast that your board won't matter for a while. In any case, being only 150# having a 156cm board may give you some difficult in the long run with flexibility, but if its a soft board and you are still growing you may have no problems at all. Ride for a while, and just have fun! If you can try some buddies boards for a run or two, but save some of you money and once you decide what your riding style needs you will know what type of board to get in the future. Good luck, shred hard!!!!
Old 11-27-2009, 08:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

thanks for the feedback guys, i appreciate it.
much better community than snowboard.com might i add... haha.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I browsed around that other site too. You're right, lot of flamers and D**che baggery.

As for your setup, sounds good. Dunno about the brand of your board though. I work for a sporting company and I never even heard of them. The most important thing to consider when choosing a size for your board is your weight. There is a common misconception that you must choose a size that reaches anywhere from your chin to the bridge of your nose just under your eyes. This is a very wrong way of choosing your size. Not everybody has the same length neck and facial features. Just stay within your weight for the board. Every company will have a sizing chart so look into that. 156 actually sounds a little long for your weight. Every company is a little different though. Another thing you have to consider is your foot size. Anything above size 11 will do better with a wide board. I'm guessing your shoe size is around 8-10 so you should be fine.

After you learn to ride better, you will gain a better understanding of your style. Like if you want to do parks, shorter boards are better since they offer more control. If you end up being a powder junky, then longer boards will be better. Your options really open up once you get better. For now, what you got is just fine. Have fun and enjoy the ride!
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote