board maintenance question?? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2009, 09:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
bkrael46

Default board maintenance question??

i just bought my first board. I was wondering if there is anything i need to do to it before i take it out other than wax it. Like do i need to do anything for the edges or anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

You might want to detune the edges.
iKimshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You may want to slightly detune the contact points. I don't use a specific angle or anything, I just take a file and rub the sharp edge off. I don't take a lot off the edge, I simply make the edge where it's not sharp anymore.

Do you know where your contact points are?
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Oh and if your going to ride rails and such you probably just want to detune the edges all the way around...
Old 11-26-2009, 09:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrael46 View Post
i just bought my first board. I was wondering if there is anything i need to do to it before i take it out other than wax it. Like do i need to do anything for the edges or anything?
lots of people recommend detuning the tip and tail(basically just dulling the edges at the tip and tail, youtube it) but i never have and haven't had any troubles catching edges, but thats just me. you might want to depending where you ride and the type of rider you are. Other than that i always just wax a new board and thats it.
Lyndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
CUtuningguy

Depending on your riding style. You should NEVER dull your contact edges (where your ability to stop, turn, carve...ect) comes from unless you know exactly what your doing. Tip and tail detuning is a good idea if your going to be pressing a lot, but unless your an extremely good boarder this probably wont make any bit of difference.

If the mfg. didn't wax the board at the factory then you will want to have the board waxed. This will keep the base moist and sliding well, helping to extend the life and reduce wear. You should wax your board regularaly. If you ride lots of icy conditions and hard pack snow you may want to invest in a tuning kit. Follow the instructions provided or search youtube for legitimate demos, but dont get carried away.

Good luck!
Old 11-26-2009, 09:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUtuningguy View Post
You should NEVER dull your contact edges
You make it sound like a bigger deal then it is imo.... Just slightly rub off the sharp edge itself and it'll be fine. I suppose if someone was a moron and went to town and completely rounded off the contact points, there would be a problem.

Just gotta remember if you detune to much, you will unlikely be able to get a good edge ever again....

All I do is literally just make it unsharp to the touch of your finger.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
CUtuningguy

If the person doing the tuning isn't careful/doesn't have experience then detuning can quickly become creating a board useless for anything but urban riding which would be safe for riding on a mountain. Detuning your edges helps to avoid catching them as easily, but can be overdone easily, and is not helpful if a person is going to be riding on conditions found in the east coast a lot of days...
Old 11-27-2009, 12:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

also a note on the factory wax thing.. i don't care if they say its been waxed from the factory or not i do a good hot wax myself when its still brand new. I can guarantee you that at the factory they don't take the time to hot wax the boards going out the door, it just wouldn't be economical. That means that whatever wax job they do is inferior to a hot wax that you can do yourself and won't last as long and/or will result in a slower board.
Lyndo is offline   Reply With Quote