Academy Boards Any Good? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2007, 02:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Carbine

Default Academy Boards Any Good?

Im looking to buy my first board. Im 200lbs, 6' Tall, Wear a size 12 shoe. I like to ride all around (Thats what I liked on skis).

I was thinking of getting a Nitro Target Redline 161 for $200, Nitro Raiden Bindings for $80 and some DC Boots. I was going to buy everything but the boots online. With this Im looking at spending about $400 which as of now is more than I have. Id like to keep things at about $300.

I did find this on Ebay for $280 shipped. this any good? Or should I just wait and get something else?

New Academy Collective 161cm w Morrow FS Binding + Boot - (eBay item 200178416429 end time Dec-03-07 19:31:24 PST)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2007, 06:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Carbine

I also found this Nitro board.

162 NITRO SNOWBOARD WITH BINDINGS - (eBay item 150188026805 end time Dec-02-07 19:12:36 PST)

I asked what kind of bindings came with it and the guy told me they said FLX...So im taking it that they're FLUX bindings. IDK what I shoudl get, but snow is coming in a couple of weeks and I want to have a board.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
st.stark

First off, I don't know much about Academy boards but I've heard they're alright. Also, I would make sure about the Flux idea, because some people like them and some don't? Have you used them? Personally I don't like them but it's all about preference... Also, I think that either size would do if you are mainly freeride. If you freestyle some, I would think about finding a smaller board in the 157-160 range...Just my $0.02.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

personally i'd get something different.
rrrtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Carbine

I have never rode any thing but a rental. So pretty much this is going to be my first season/ time snowboarding. I don't really want to hit the park. I like to go all over the place, hit some jumps, go down some un-groomed trails. I am about 205 and 6'. So I think a 161 would be best. What do you guys think I should get for no more than about $350. I need a board, bindings, and boots.

I also found this 165 Nitro board that I could pick up cheap. 165 is a monster though.
Nitro Snowboard 165 Package WITH BINDINGS AND BAG!!! - (eBay item 130178973247 end time Dec-03-07 15:20:47 PST)

Last edited by Carbine; 11-28-2007 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
mike1two

Im not too sure about the bindings but I currently ride an Academy Commuter and it is the best board I have had yet. Been riding it for the past 2yrs. now and it hasn't lost much of its pop.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Carbine

Well its comes with Morrow Dimension Bindings, which arent the best, but shoudl get me through a few runs and If I decide I dont like them I can get new bindings. Same with the boots. Morrow Revert Boots, havent heard much about them but they shoudl be good. I'm leaning towards the Academy board right now, for under $300 I dont think I can do much better.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair

Go with your first idea and don't get boots with a package deal online. Get them at the store and when you do try on as many pairs as you have time to. You won't regret it. I think anything around 161 would be a perfect size for you. As far as Academy boards and Flux bindings, I haven't heard much about either of them.
Mr. Right is offline   Reply With Quote