Brands to avoid? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2009, 01:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Brands to avoid?

I've found enough reviews to know to stay away from Lamar gear, and was wondering what other brands to stay away from? I've found some pretty good deals on M3, LTD, Avalanche, and a few others I can't think of right now. I'm just looking to get the most bang for the buck on a wide all around board. I mostly ride groomers, and this year I'm gonna work up to playing in the parks.
JeffreyCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2009, 02:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Stay away from those Marvel snowboards lol. Really though, 90% of the snowboard brands out there have quality stuff. You can't nix a whole brand based on a few of their gear. When you get to their higher price points, you'll find some good stuff. As for Lamar, I personally would never ride that. It is all a matter of rider preference.

Brands I like:

Burton: I only get the Shaun White Collection because I like the feel of his board and style of outerwear

Flow: Love their bindings (except for the Flite series) and they make good boards too

Ride: This was my first brand for board and boots, both great

GNU: I want the skate banana as my next board badly

LTD and Avalanche are cheaper brands. I can't say anything about them because I never rode one. I have checked out Avalanche boards (never rode, just inspected) and they don't seem to be good quality. Feels like it has too much plastic. Oh, Rome is another solid brand.
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Avoid Bitchboards, Morrow, and 5150. There's a lot more, but that's it off the top of my head.

10/11 - 24, Smote on Feb 13
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

First off I'll say stay away from anything offered by a big box store and find yourself a good local snowboard shop. That should keep you away from most of the cheaper junk on the market i.e Lamar, Firefly, 5150.

Pretty much anything by Rome, Ride, Nitro, Forum etc will be good. Burton for me is a toss up. I've never bought anything from them myself but I've heard stories of their lower end gear that makes me stay away....plus you pay a premium for the name.

Lastly browse this forum. You won't really go wrong with any of the brands mentioned here.

Last edited by Burgerboy; 11-27-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Burgerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Basicly just look through the user setup post and avoid any brands you don't see mentioned there.
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm not a big fan of Sims, Firefly, Roxy, 5150, Morrow, Lamar, Rip Curl, and the low end Ride and K2 boards. Also on a point of principle avoid Burton.

Basically avoid boards in big box sports stores.
bakesale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default .

In my opinion these are good brands: Lib Tech, Gnu, Roxy, Rossignol, DC, Burton, Forum, Ride, K2, Signal, Rome, Stepchild, Arbor, Never Summer, Salomon, Nitro, Vans, Capita, Bataleon, Humanity, Palmer, Flow, Artec, Celcius boots, Union Bindings, Drake/ Northwave.

Brands I avoid: Lamara, M3, Avalanch, LTD, 5150, Morrow, Bitchboards, Firefly, Sims, Rip Curl, Santa Cruz, Option.

Someone posted that Roxy was not a good brand, but they are made with the same materials as Lib Tech and GNU boards, just more directed for girls with the graphics and board shapes. Also some people might be against Palmer, but they have some decent boards which are made at the same place in Austria as a lot of other great brands.

For the Anti-Burton comment above. The only thing I dislike about Burton as a brand is their bindings zero forward lean setting is just to much forward lean, which makes me feel trapped with bent knees which I don't like. I have no problems with the boards, boots, and outerwear, I think it is all prety decent product, maybe a good amount of it is overpriced, but thats what you get when you pay for the name.

Just my opinion though, there will always be someone who disagrees.

Last edited by jaaxnikols; 11-27-2009 at 04:48 PM.
jaaxnikols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
alasdairm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakesale View Post
Also on a point of principle avoid Burton.
which principle is that? what if the op has different principles to you?

alasdair
Old 11-27-2009, 05:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

I was going to say the same thing that jaax said about Roxy being Mervin manufactured (although I stay away from lib-tech after bad personal experiences with the durability of their boards - topsheet easily chips, delams, not fully wrapped edges). I also don't know why people are always quick to classify Palmer as a cheap, budget company.
sumo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

find a brands homepage .. if they dont have a team dont bother .. if they dont have a homepage well lol....

all the "avoid" brands mentioned like morrow lamar avalanche etc are one time big names that are now just bottom dwellers producing low quality entry lvl boards for folks who go a few times a year not aggressive avid riders
burritosandsnow is offline   Reply With Quote