Comparing the Burton Custom and Burton Custom Twin?? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Comparing the Burton Custom and Burton Custom Twin??

Hi All,
I'm just looking for some advice, preferably from people who've ridden both boards if possible.
I'm trying to choose my first board. I've been riding for a few years now and want to get a board. I demoed quite a few boards last year to try and decide and it came down to the Burton Custom and the Jones Mountain Twin. Unfortunately I ran out of money and couldn't buy one. However at that time I'd decided on the Burton Custom 163cm, as I currently weigh 84kg without clothing and gear. I usually wear a backpack with cameras batteries etc. food/water. So add a couple of kilos on for that.
Riding I currently like a bit of everything. Mostly I ride the piste, but starting to play a little on small kickers. But I also want to be able to hire a guide and go off piste. So in essence I'm looking at all mountain. I want something I can do absolutely everything on. From piste, to tricks and park to off piste, the lot. As for my level on piste I'm happy on Reds and progressing onto riding blacks now. I haven't yet done anything off piste and very basic stuff when it comes to park, the smallest jumps etc. I'm just starting to learn to ride switch.
I'm a size 9.5 boot (I have the K2 Darko - the only boots I found that fit me.)
I've ordered the Burton Cartel Bindings.
What I don't know is how the Custom Twin will feel compared to the custom. Also they only go up to 160cm on the Custom Twin which is rated 70-88kg, so I'm right at the higher end of the weight range. Where as the Custom 163cm obviously I'm right in the middle of the range 75-93kg.
When it comes to camber I like the standard camber, I tried Flying V, I've tried banana and a few others and didn't like anything as much as the original camber.
So just looking to get peoples input, who hopefully have ridden both? Is the twin going to feel much different in ride compared to the custom? Will the length of the twin be an issue?
Any help appreciated.
CC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
I've an older Custom that I still use occasionally. Its a great board but wouldn't be my first choice for powder or attempting tricks. The Twin looks a little softer so maybe better for tricks and switch but it'll be even harder work in deep snow.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
From what you've stated in your post, I'd go with the regular Custom Camber. It's more suited for 'all mountain' whereas the twin can also do that, but I have found from my own experience riding both many times that the twin would be slightly more geared towards the park rider rather than the 'all mountain' freeride person which is what you sound like from your post.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 10:29 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Length won't be an issue on the Custom Twin it is slightly stiffer than the custom in my opinion. I like the ride of the Custom Twin better for hitting jumps I find it to be a more comfortable landing on the twin and I would give it a slight edge on the Pop

I rode this years Custom Twin and last years
Rode last years Custom haven't rode this years don't think they have changed anything though correct me if I am wrong
Also have had quite a few runs on the Custom X but that doesn't seem to be what you are looking for
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 03:20 AM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
I recently bought a Custom Twin camber, but never got to ride the original. I really love my Custom Twin, exactly the twin stick I wanted. A stiff board so when I want to rip it's stable at high speeds, and great for jumps. Like really good, feels so stable with landings on diff size kickers, hips etc.

Though I am a novice jibber, I enjoy hitting boxes with this. I'm sure a more accomplished jibber can get even more out of it, as it has softer tips to also help with presses, etc.

But ya, like someone mentioned earlier it's for someone who wants an aggressive ride but slightly more inclined to the park (mainly jumps/being in the air period). The Custom may have a slight edge in pow due to the directional profile it has over the Twin, but that's what I have my Flight Attendant for.

Angrysnowboarder has an on point review on the Custom Twin. And the other reviewers who've reviewed this board (BoardInsiders, Whitelines) are also all pretty accurate with their findings in comparison to how I thought it rode. So ya, go Custom Twin if you want that aggressive stick that can rip on the mountain but with park benefits of a twin board. Especially if you love being in the air, this board is an awesome jump board. Fact .

Here's the angrysnowboarder review, if anything: 2016 Burton Custom Twin Snowboard Review - The Angry Snowboarder

Good luck, hope that helps a little.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 05:42 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
That's actually a review by Kevin @nivek maybe he will chime in

Edit: I tried to tag him not sure if it worked
GDimac likes this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you all for your input, its very helpful. I appreciate it.

Any thoughts on how the Custom would ride switch?
I can't remember if I tried it on the day I rode it.

I'm still having difficulty deciding. I may decide to go down the same route as GDimac and get the Twin and when I can afford it perhaps a flight attendant. That sounds like a very complimentary combination.

But I'm still up in the air about it all.
Many thanks
CC
GDimac likes this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 03:43 AM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Np. Ya, it's a great duo and I love both. Both charge hard, in their own respective strengths. Feel free to update on what you ended up going with.

Good luck in your search
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 04:37 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confused Chimp View Post
T

Any thoughts on how the Custom would ride switch?
It's a twin shaped board with a twin flex that has 10mm of set back. You won't be able to tell the difference at all while learning to ride switch as that's awkward enough as it is, and by the time you're good enough to actually notice the difference it also won't matter anymore. I say go original custom unless you really plan on spending a lot of time in the park as you progress.
david_z and GDimac like this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I currently have the Burton Custom (2013-14 I think) 151cm. I really like this board. Only thing I am missing is the twin concept as I am progressing on switch riding. I would like to try the off-axis concept.

Two questions I have tried to find solutions on is:
- how is the flex custom vs twin?
- how is the edge hold custom vs twin?

Anyone with input on these two?

-- Better to have tried and failed and not tried at all --

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode