I need some beginner buying advice. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2009, 01:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Falcon

Post I need some beginner buying advice.

I am a complete beginner needing to buy a board, boots, and bindings. I am a male, 6'2, 190 lbs, wear size 11.5-12 shoes. I have zero snowboarding experience but I've been doing a lot of reading lately, quite frankly I'm a little overwhelmed. There are so many choices, I'm looking for an all-mountain board I think, I'm not looking to do tricks. I hear that rocker is easier than camber so rocker i guess. Lately I've been looking at the K2 Anagram wide, it seems pretty good and its affordable. Anyways, suggestions anyone? Also whats the best place to buy from if your in Ontario?
Thanks,
Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2009, 02:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

If you've never boarded before then most people will suggest you hire gear first. The thing with buying beginner oriented gear is, depending on how fast you learn can only take a week before you effectively outgrow it.

Learn on a hire/borrowed board, figure out what you like and how you ride, then think about buying.
Reede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
SMS1977

Hi Ben I was in your situation last year. I agree with Reede, you should really rent the first couple of times. If yu are going to buy may be just buy your boots and bindings and rent a board so that you can try a bunch (there is a place right around Blue Mountain where you can rent some pretty good boards - my brother rented a Vapor from them last year).

However, if you are dead set on buying everything then I would go to a bunch of board shops and check stuff out (ie how the board feels in your hand, ask how much the boots will pack out, etc.). There are a bunch of shops in the GTA so that you should be able to check out almost every brand. Be careful about the all mountain board because a lot of times then tend to be stiffer than a freestyle board, which can make it more difficult to ride.

Where you actually buy the equipment will depend on you and the people you deal with. For example, I recently bought a GNU board and went to one of the few local shops that carried them and the sales people were not very helpful and they were directing me to a more advanced board, so I called Source Boards (the Source Snowboard and Skateboard Shop ~ Calgary, Canmore, Red Deer and Edmonton) located in Alberta and spoke with someone there (Stephen) who has actually riden all or almost all of the boards they sell. He gave me informed advice so I ordered from him. The best part was that I only had to pay GST and not PST so my board was like $60 cheaper (he gave me free shipping too).
Old 11-29-2009, 08:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I personally hated the rentals when I was learning. But then again, the rentals in Michigan are complete crap. I know some of the bigger resorts rent out actual consumer boards so that would be cool.

When I bought my own gear, it made a world difference. I only ended up using a rental for a day because right off the bat I thought it felt too heavy and stiff. Besides, you'll need to buy a board soon anyway so why throw away your cash towards a rental? Let's see, around here the rentals are $30. 3 sessions is already $90. You can find very good boards from previous years for under $200. With your measurements, you need a board that is longer than 159cm and I suggest you stay under 166cm. Also, your foot size is on the borderline of needing a wide board. I generally recommend people with size 12 and above to use a wide. I am 5'10 180lbs and I use a 159. For you, considering you are a beginner, I would go for a 162-163. You could do a regular board as long as it is not too thin at the waist. I suggest at least a 26cm waist width. Just remember, there are tons of people out there who base board length purely on height alone. That is the wrong way to determine your board length. Weight plays the largest role in your board choice. The next most important factor is your riding style. Shorter for park, mid-size for all-around, and longer for powder. Height plays plays virtually no role in board length. Unless you are 6'11, 100lbs, and with a 40" stance lol.

Some boards to consider (by all means look around for it, I just grabbed the first cheapest one I saw):

FLOW MERC SNOWBOARD 09 [FLOW MERC BOARD 089 BOMBS] - $169.00 : Snow Sports for Less, Quality for Less

K2 Format Wide 2009

2007 Flow Mainframe All-Mountain Snowboard

Plenty more out there

Brands to consider:

GNU, Lib Tech, Burton, Flow, K2, Ride (owned by K2), Forum

BTW, make sure you get yourself a boot that fits snug. Put on some snowboard socks, and try the boots. Balance from your heel to toe for a few minutes. Walking around won't matter since you don't walk while snowboarding. Getting the feel of the heel and toe is most important. They will be pretty snug at first so don't be tempted to go up a size. Now if they are cutting off your circulation, go ahead and move up lol. Just keep in mind the boot will stretch out quite a bit as you break them in. A lot of liners will also mold to your feet when your feet warm them up from riding.

Stick to it, I hated my first day. You'll feel some pain, that's for sure. Good luck and enjoy the ride!
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
I personally hated the rentals when I was learning. But then again, the rentals in Michigan are complete crap.
Renting to see if you like it and even want to learn versus renting to learn are two different things.

He could get the cheapest setup out there and learn on it, and then he's still left with a pile of low-grade crap to unload when he really progresses.

Rent. At LEAST your first time out. If you hate it, you'll be glad you did. If you like it, you'll know that you should invest in a decent progression setup.

10/11 - 24, Smote on Feb 13
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkySpunk View Post
Renting to see if you like it and even want to learn versus renting to learn are two different things.

He could get the cheapest setup out there and learn on it, and then he's still left with a pile of low-grade crap to unload when he really progresses.

Rent. At LEAST your first time out. If you hate it, you'll be glad you did. If you like it, you'll know that you should invest in a decent progression setup.
True, I was automatically assuming he would end up loving it if he stuck it out

Assumption made because he's already highly interested. He researched the sport and joined a forum dedicated to it. Munky is absolutely right though. It is a good idea to at least rent once. I was thinking more along the lines of multiple rentals being a waste. And if you do love boarding, don't get a completely beginner setup. I made that mistake and outgrew my setup by the time my first season was over. Luckily, I was able to gift it to my girl's brother
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
I am a complete beginner needing to buy a board, boots, and bindings. I am a male, 6'2, 190 lbs, wear size 11.5-12 shoes. I have zero snowboarding experience but I've been doing a lot of reading lately, quite frankly I'm a little overwhelmed. There are so many choices, I'm looking for an all-mountain board I think, I'm not looking to do tricks. I hear that rocker is easier than camber so rocker i guess. Lately I've been looking at the K2 Anagram wide, it seems pretty good and its affordable. Anyways, suggestions anyone? Also whats the best place to buy from if your in Ontario?
Thanks,
Ben
Hi Falcon,

Welcome to the sport!

A starting suggestion: Dig in. Buy a board, boots and bindings and commit. I say that because renting limits the chances that you will have a positive experience. In reality it takes an hour of tinkering to get a board set up perfectly for you. The bindings need to be centered, stance width and angles set, strap placements adjusted, toe ramps placed, highbacks rotated, etc. These are the little things that make your setup feel correct, and rental guys simply do not have the time to do all of this as completely as it should be done. Add to that the fact that you will be ridng boots (hopefully dry ones) that have been packed out to someone elses foot particulars (actually a group of feet) and that you may or may not get a board that is ideal (or even correct) for you.

You mentioned K2, so let's stick with them for a suggestion. They certainly make great boards. As you do not yet know your style, I would suggest a great neutral board that is well sized for you. Look at the Format 159 Wide. It has the ideal flex, width, effective edge and sidecut radius for your needs.

We don't sell this board, but feel free to email us and we will find you the best price on it if you would like.

Stoked to have you boarding. Welcome to the Tribe!
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Falcon

Wow, I'd like to thank everyone for the detailed and helpful answers. I know it might seem like I'm rushing into this but I'm still pretty sure I'd like to buy rather than rent, I understand that I'm going to suck the first few times I'm out and I'll probably bruise my tail-bone but I still want to commit and I know that buying will keep me from giving up. I've still got some time before the snow starts here so I'm going to have to do some more research I guess. So after hearing some of these suggestions, What would be a good board to learn on but that I wouldn't outgrow too fast? I'm taking a look at the Format now since a couple of you suggested it.
Thanks again guys,
Ben
Old 11-29-2009, 10:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Falcon

Oh and one more thing, are the 09 and 2010 models that much different, the 09's are way cheaper, but I want something thats going to last a while, should I just spring for the 10's?
Old 11-29-2009, 10:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
Oh and one more thing, are the 09 and 2010 models that much different, the 09's are way cheaper, but I want something thats going to last a while, should I just spring for the 10's?
Save the money and get a 2009. There will be no difference in function or durability.

There are literally hundreds of boards from numerous brands that will fit your specs and needs.

Two others that would be great:

O-matic Awesome Todd Richards Pro model 158 Wide 2009 (We have them for $189.00. We ship to Canada for $15.00 on board only or complete packages).
Technine Split T 161 Wide 2009 (We have them for $199.00).
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote