Brand New Set Up... now what?? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2009, 10:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Brand New Set Up... now what??

i just got my first board and i havent even taken off the plastic yet. i want to know what to do next. im not sure if i should get it waxed again cuz the guy at the shop said that my wax wouldnt be that bad and he just suggested i use a rub on b4 i go out and i should be good i will be riding in mostly man made snow. im also read something about buffing the edges on a serctin part of the board so that way the are not as sharp as the edge near the middle of my board... i also want this board to last me for a while and any good tips for keeping it in really good shape. my set up i got fairly cheap.. 156 rome crail....with Burton Triads..and got Burton Boxer boots thanks for the help
eschen515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2009, 11:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The factory wax that comes on snowboards is useless. When I get a new board I toss 2-3 hot waxes on there before ever taking the board out; it helps to really get the wax into the pores of the board. Man made snow is rougher on boards than all-natural snow; it will take the wax out of your board much faster so a good hot wax is necessary.

As far as rub on wax, don't bother. The purpose of wax is to get into the pores of the board and this can only be achieved by hot waxing. I would recommend getting your own waxing kit. Waxing your board is very easy and also satisfying. You know you are getting a good wax job each time and you save money because you aren't paying a shop to do it. Here is the kit I have:

DAKINE SUPER TUNE KIT [DAKINE SUPER TUNE KIT] - $69.00 : Snow Sports for Less, Quality for Less

You can detune the nose and tail of the board if you'd like. To do this lay the board on each edge and mark with a marker where it contacts the ground. Then just file down that edge between the marks around the tail and nose. Just know that once you do this it is nearly impossible to get an edge back on there. Youtube it if you want to see it done first.

As far as taking care of your board, I always wipe down my board with a towel when I am done boarding for the day. I make sure that my edges get dry so they do not rust. Besides that just wax and make sure your edges are sharp and you are good to go.

Here is a link for general maintenance. It is useful; peruse it.
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/gen...ance-tips.html

Last edited by Glade Ripper; 11-29-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Glade Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

wht is the reason to detune my board?
eschen515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

So you dont catch as many edges. Id leave it unless your having problems with the edges being to catchy
boarder3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I don't know every board's factory wax, but I sure did love my Burton Shaun White board out of the plastic. The factory wax on that was great. Better than the Ride I had that's for sure.

Waxing is really up to you dude. Factory wax should be fine for a few sessions. If it feels slow and choppy, then get it waxed. I usually get my board waxed 2-3 times a season if I get a lot of shred time. Maybe around 10 session intervals. Rub on wax is actually a good thing to have around. Just make sure that's not all that you are using. Rub-ons are good for a quick tune-up in between hot waxes. This is especially useful if you are hitting a lot of rails.

As for your edges, I'd say leave them alone for now. You are a beginner, so you won't really notice it. You're going to catch your edge numerous times regardless while you are learning. Detuning your edges in the tip and tail is mainly for park riders. This is so they don't catch it on rails and stuff. Man-made snow will naturally file your edges down anyway while you carve and do heel/toe side stops.

Just get out and ride bro.
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote