13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 03:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Sold the wrong board?

Hello,

I have just returned from a snowboarding trip to Bulgaria. Snow conditions were terrible and a lot of ice. No new snow for about 3 weeks...

Anyway...I am a beginner/intermediate boarder and I currently use a Burton Clash, 155cm cambered board. I bought that board years ago knowing nothing and relying entirely on the shop assistant telling a complete noob what would be a good board. This board has served me well but I just felt like I wanted a new board. I did not know what the heck a camber was until a few days ago.

Anyway, I bought a new board on a slight impulse whilst in Bulgaria. I did do some reading but I asked the shop assistant for advice since I know very little about boards. I go once a year if at all possible but don't really have anything to do with the sport beyond that. So I guess I am still a noob.

I told the man in the shop that I was looking for a board for beginner/intermediate because i am no longer a complete beginner. He looked at my Burton Clash and said it was a "beginner-beginner board" and that it was way too big for me. I am 168cm tall woman and weight about 66 kilos. I told him I wanted to ride on the groomed slopes, I don't do tricks or off-piste so I was looking for a board that would help me improve control and speed. He then showed me a SIMS Rules! 148cm board and said this would be a good board to move on with. I went away and tried to find something about the board online but couldn't really find much. However, I read about rocker and camber and still didn't quite get it. Anyway, I bought the board and spent the next 3 hours falling over on the baby slopes as I could not get the board to turn.

I then messaged SIMS and asked them about the board I bought and they said:
"This is the Rules! from the 11/12 season. It's a true twin, all mtn freestyle board with our EZ Rocker (full rocker) camber technology, which is a looser, more skate inspired freestyle ride. It sounds like your Burton board is traditional camber (more freeride oriented) which is a very different ride that the Rules!. Based on what you have communicated, we believe that you have been sold the wrong board."

So I was very annoyed. Anyway, I asked some more friends and snowboarders and read online and there are many people saying that rocker boards are perfectly fine for just riding groomed slopes and that they are in fact easier to turn than cambered boards, especially in powder.

I know you can say: you should research what you buy but I feel that I should be able to trust a sales assistant's advice, not everyone understands the technical side of things. If we all did, we wouldn't need shop assistants at all. How will I know that the next shop assistant will give me the right advice, seeing as this one has apparently given me the wrong advice?

So I am now very much confused. Should I cut my losses and sell this board on and go back to a cambered board? Or is it simply a case of adjusting my technique with a couple of lessons and happily use the board to go down the groomed slopes?

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks.

Dutchcloggie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 04:12 AM
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Wow sorry to say but shop guy saw you coming and offloaded some hard to sell old stock. Get your advise here - we'll look after you from now on.
Dutchcloggie likes this.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Hound View Post
Wow sorry to say but shop guy saw you coming and offloaded some hard to sell old stock. Get your advise here - we'll look after you from now on.
Aw thanks!
Can you explain to me why it is wrong? Is it the rocker-style? Is it the length? I mean, I have read so many conflicting things about what is good and bad that I am now even more confused than before as since now, I also no longer trust the shop assistants... So rather than asking what would be a good board for me, it would be good to know why this one is NOT a good board for me. As I said, I have read that full rockers are good for powder, I have read they are ok for slopes/great in the park, better for advanced riders/excellent for beginners... Sims themselves said I should give it a few more days and I should get used to it...

Luckily I will never go back to that shop in Bulgaria...anyone want to buy a nice SIMS Rules! :-).

Last edited by Dutchcloggie; 03-07-2016 at 04:33 AM.
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 05:07 AM
Veteran Member

Not necessarily 'wrong', full rocker has its uses I just don't think anyone here would recommend it as a progression from your old board for the type of riding you like to do. You've been handling an oversized camber board just fine so a mid stiff camber or RCR board would've been my pick for you. Sure you'll learn to ride the Sims just fine but I don't think you'd ever be truly comfortable at speed or on ice.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 05:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Hound View Post
Not necessarily 'wrong', full rocker has its uses I just don't think anyone here would recommend it as a progression from your old board for the type of riding you like to do. You've been handling an oversized camber board just fine so a mid stiff camber or RCR board would've been my pick for you. Sure you'll learn to ride the Sims just fine but I don't think you'd ever be truly comfortable at speed or on ice.
I see what you are saying. And seeing my problem is mostly comfort at speed and on ice, it appears the exact opposite then of what would be good for me. I think it was because many people kept telling me my Burton was rather large so I assumed that this was one of the reasons I failed to improve on the speed of my turns. On my Burton board, I found it really difficult to decrease the turning circle. So when the shop guy said: you need a shorter board that enables faster turns, which he said would mean better speed control, I had no reason to think he was wrong. Drats.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 05:34 AM
Veteran Member

Yes getting the right size will help with turning and the correct stiffness will allow you to manipulate the board and therefore manipulate turn radius. It's just that rocker isn't usually the best for speed and/or ice.
Dutchcloggie likes this.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 05:47 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
As Snow Hound said the shop attendant was a jerk. For your riding that SIMS board was a step in the wrong direction and I really hope you didn't pay much for it. The probably reason you had problems improving your turns on the Clash is because it was a bit too wide for you, unless you have man sized feet.
Dutchcloggie likes this.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 05:19 AM
Veteran Member

I've been looking at women's boards and there are plenty of options. But some that caught my eye are the Salomon Idol, Jones Twin Sister, Ride Barretta, Yes Hel Yes (bit more aggressive but if I was a lady I'd want one of these).
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I am gutted at my stupidity and waste of money. It looks like not only was I sold a board that wasn't what I asked for, I also paid too much money for it. Oh well, you live and learn. I've put it on Ebay but I'm going to lose some big money on it. I think I would have had more chance of a suitable board if I had bought 5 random boards of Ebay at £50 each!

I might just do that :-)
snowklinger likes this.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Can you afford to keep in for powder days?

Rocker isn't bad. It's just different.
snowklinger likes this.

newby / ski convert

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode