Size 15 boots, please help. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 10:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
nomoreski

Cool Size 15 boots, please help.

Went snowboarding for the first time last week. After 15 years of skiing I am done! Boarding is great and my boots are like wearing big slippers all day, yet firm! My problem is my feet. I bought boots in size 15, 07 Burton Freestyles for $90 cause I found a pair that fits me. However, I rode a 164W that I rented as I learn more and had major toe drag. I have researched many boards and the biggest waist I found so far was a K2 Format 165W, waist is 271mm. I also learned about risers helping out my situation for turning.

My question is what's the largest waist anyone has found as I am 6'4" and can ride up to a 175 (which would be chin height for me). Will the waist continue to increase with height or do they stop around 271mm (27.1cm)?

Thanks in advance for any help for the new guy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2009, 12:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoreski View Post
Went snowboarding for the first time last week. After 15 years of skiing I am done! Boarding is great and my boots are like wearing big slippers all day, yet firm! My problem is my feet. I bought boots in size 15, 07 Burton Freestyles for $90 cause I found a pair that fits me. However, I rode a 164W that I rented as I learn more and had major toe drag. I have researched many boards and the biggest waist I found so far was a K2 Format 165W, waist is 271mm. I also learned about risers helping out my situation for turning.

My question is what's the largest waist anyone has found as I am 6'4" and can ride up to a 175 (which would be chin height for me). Will the waist continue to increase with height or do they stop around 271mm (27.1cm)?

Thanks in advance for any help for the new guy!
not to sure but i think the waist widths just keep going up as the size goes up, i'm sure it varies by brand as well. You have pretty damn big feet though, make sure you feet are centered (ie: toe overhang=heel overhang)and ride a wide board and then if you still have bad toe drag get risers. I don't think a 170w board is going to be significantly wider than a 160w board, i haven't looked up numbers though so i could be wrong.

One last thing you can look at is your boots, maybe try on a few size 14's from different brands, maybe one brand fits bigger than another, if not maybe try to find some 15's with a smaller foot print than the ones you have.
Lyndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

what are your stance angles?

running a duck stance eg +15/-15 can reduce the overhang ever so slightly as well.

How much overhang are you actually getting?
RaID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

Welcome to the snowboarding community. First of all, you should ditch the chin height as a guide for what length board to get, as weight is a much more important factor. The chin-height method is especially distorted when theres someone really tall such as yourself.

I agree with lyndo also, a common mistake beginners make is getting snowboarding boots in their regular shoe size, which is usually a half size or full size too big. Theres plenty of guides out there as to how exactly the boot should fit. Also, since you like burton boots you may want to look into some of their better boots, as that offers shrinkage tech (which i have) that makes the footprint smaller by about a half size or full size.

Not sure about specific boards and what waist widths would fit you, but dont just buy the board with the biggest waist you can find. its ok for the boot to hang over a little in the front or back, usually about half an inch to 3/4 inch on both sides is doable. Also, try to avoid using risers if you can help it.
ChubbyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
nomoreski

Sadly, I did try size 14's they no worky. My toe hand was probably over an inch but next time we go out I will take pictures. It was very frustrating not being able to turn on my toes and would like to find a solution. I am goofy footed, which just learned here is also called duck. The rental setup was very mild 6 on both feet so they were even. Might try a 15 next time and see how much it reduces the toe hang.

Are risers bad, why should I avoid them or is this a personal choice?

Thanks for all the feedback everyone I really appreciate it. Maybe I should just join the circus...ie clown shoes! hahah
Old 12-08-2009, 11:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

I would think with a duck stance and a wide waist board you should be good as long as you get the right bindings. The binding has a lot to do with how far you are off the board and the profile leading to your toe. What bindings do you have? Also the adjustment and make sure your boot in centered.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Donek Sasquatch or Venture Zephyr Wide (Or any wide snowboard Venture makes) are the two widest boards out there (28 cm).

I have a Venture Zephyr wide 166 I might be talked into selling depending on your budget (pic in my sig), it's in excellent shape. Anyone who is in the know about boards and quality will tell you Venture is a top-top-shelf board brand.

Goofy and duck stance are two VERY different things.

Also look into Palmer brand lifts/risers. They go under your binding and boost you up in 1 cm increments. The Burton ones are more widely available, but they suck compared to the quality you get with the Palmer ones. Yes, I've had both. My Palmer ones are in great shape and still kicking, my Burton ones are covered in stress fractures.

I speak as a size 14 boot. I got lucky and I fit VERY nicely into size 13 Cirros.

10/11 - 24, Smote on Feb 13

Last edited by MunkySpunk; 12-08-2009 at 11:58 AM.
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

The Elan El Grande comes in a 28.4cm waist, but can be hard to find in the U.S.A.

This year Venture changed their sizing so instead of having 24, 26, and 28cm waists they have 24, 25, 26, adn 27cm. So if you want a 28cm waist you'll have to buy an old model. There are some still floating around online but you can get them direct from Venture's website. The 2008/2009 Zephyr 171 Wide would probably be a good fit:
Venture Snowboards

The Nitro Magnum 168 has a 27.8 waist. From what I've read it's not as stiff as some of the giant boards. I think MunkySpunk wrote somewhere that the Zephyr was pretty stiff (in a comparison to N.S. Titan if my memory serves me correctly) so depending on what you want (mid-stiff or STIFF) the Magnum could be a good option.
BoardTheSnow73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

You shouldn't be having that much of a problem with toe drag, I've got size 15 boots as well and I ride the NS Revolver-r and Bataleon Goliath Wide, and I don't have any problems with toe drag and neither of those are over the top wide. Just make sure you have the bindings set up well and you should be fine on almost any wide board.
BigC_ 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
nomoreski

Thats good to hear, somebody else with 15's. So there is hope! I shall try the duck +12 front -12 back and see how that does, possibly with risers if the rent them or just higher bindings! Thanks everybody I shall let you know what happens in the New Year!