Need Advice: Burton Custom V-Rocker or Joystick - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 02:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
chooch
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Need Advice: Burton Custom V-Rocker, Joystick, or K2 Slayblade

Hi, first post here. I'm trying to decide between the following:

Burton Custom V-Rocker 159 (255mm waist)
Burton Custom V-Rocker 163 (257mm waist)
Burton Joystick 161 (255mm waist)
Burton Joystick 159Wide (259mm waist)
Burton Joystick 163Wide (261mm waist)
K2 Slayblade 161 (254mm waist)
K2 Slayblade 164 (256mm waist)
K2 Slayblade Wide 159 (264mm waist)
K2 Slayblade Wide 163 (266mm waist)

I am 30ys old, 5'9", and weigh 220lbs. I wear a size 12 shoe, so I figure I'm going to be a size 11.5 to 12 boot. Really, I think I am a size 11.5 shoe, but I have wider feet so 12s are more comfortable for me. I am getting new boots so not sure what size will be the most comfortable for me when I end up buying them.

I consider myself an intermediate rider. I ride all mountain, usually cruising the trails and powder in the trees for the first part of the day, then making my way to the park for the second half. I like to try to bomb the smooth, fast parts of the trails, just to see how fast I can get before my brain tells me to slow down . In the park, I will occasionally go over easy boxes, but haven't really tried from jibbing in general. Haven't tried any rails yet, and if I do, I have a feeling they won't be a major part of my overall boarding. I do like jumping kickers when I see them on the trails and over medium to larger jumps/tabletops in the parks.

My main concern is my weight and shoe size, which I'm thinking the wider boards will be better for me. However, I've read that with just a 11.5 to 12 boot, that mid-wide boards will be fine. But I like the thought that the wider boards may help with my weight too. Is this true?

Between the two Burton models, the Custom V-Rockers are considered a bit softer flex in case that matters. Also, the Joysticks in the specs say "Downsize 1 to 2 cm From Normal Board Length" which I'm not sure why they say this.

Sorry for my rambling . Any thoughts of what would be best for me? Any other recommendations than what I have listed?

Thanks,
Jon

Last edited by chooch; 12-08-2009 at 02:50 PM. Reason: edited to add K2s in the mix
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 378
Default

Hmm I'd say looking beyond just Burton unless you really want to get their products. And for sizing wise I'd say go with the 161 but I can't really say much about the boards because I haven't had any experience with them.
iKimshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
chooch
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKimshi View Post
Hmm I'd say looking beyond just Burton unless you really want to get their products. And for sizing wise I'd say go with the 161 but I can't really say much about the boards because I haven't had any experience with them.
Yeah, I guess I'm also looking at the K2 Slayblades:

Slayblade 161 (254mm waist)
Slayblade 164 (256mm waist)
Slayblade Wide 159 (264mm waist)
Slayblade Wide 163 (266mm waist)

Basically, looking at the Good Wood All Mountain 2010 boards
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Mr. Polonia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brooklyn, Empire State
Posts: 1,093
Default

i have no experience riding on reverse camber boards so i cant help you there. but i do own a burton X8 which i finally tried out last weekend and it was great. It was very fast AND forgiving and just an all around great board which you can also use at the parks. So u can also look into the X8, i believe they make em in reverse camber too.
__________________
Without me, my board is useless. Without my board, I am useless
Mr. Polonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Mr. Polonia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brooklyn, Empire State
Posts: 1,093
Default

as for your boot size, yes , you can use mid size boards, but i wouldnt get anything smaller than a 161cm since u like to bomb trials. i think like a 163 mid wide would be perfect for your weight, boot size and height
__________________
Without me, my board is useless. Without my board, I am useless
Mr. Polonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 292
Default

i demoed the v rocker recently...and would say if u have the money and doesnt hate on burton, it sounds like the board ur looking for...awesome board at both freeriding and park...
________
The Peak Towers

Last edited by w3iiipu; 08-21-2011 at 09:14 AM.
w3iiipu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Milo303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,954
Default

Indoor Survival FK | CAPiTA Super Corporation

in a 160
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mankato, MN
Posts: 200
Default

Twins separated at birth? I am pretty much in the same position as you. I am 6' 1" 195 and I have been also been looking at the same line up you have here. I also have about the same riding style as yourself, so its kinda nice to know I might be on the right track for board options. I've been riding an '07 Burton Royale for 3 years and consider myself an intermediate as well. I kinda have my sights on the following too:

Burton V-Rocker
Burton Joystick
Burton Custom X
K2 Slayblade
NS SL-R

I would also throw the NS L-R (maybe SL-R depending on boot size) in your options. It also is sporting the rocker camber technology. I have heard that it holds a good edge when bombing the runs, and is plenty playful in the park. I'll be watching this closely to see how things develop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chooch View Post
Hi, first post here. I'm trying to decide between the following:

Burton Custom V-Rocker 159 (255mm waist)
Burton Custom V-Rocker 163 (257mm waist)
Burton Joystick 161 (255mm waist)
Burton Joystick 159Wide (259mm waist)
Burton Joystick 163Wide (261mm waist)
K2 Slayblade 161 (254mm waist)
K2 Slayblade 164 (256mm waist)
K2 Slayblade Wide 159 (264mm waist)
K2 Slayblade Wide 163 (266mm waist)

I am 30ys old, 5'9", and weigh 220lbs. I wear a size 12 shoe, so I figure I'm going to be a size 11.5 to 12 boot. Really, I think I am a size 11.5 shoe, but I have wider feet so 12s are more comfortable for me. I am getting new boots so not sure what size will be the most comfortable for me when I end up buying them.

I consider myself an intermediate rider. I ride all mountain, usually cruising the trails and powder in the trees for the first part of the day, then making my way to the park for the second half. I like to try to bomb the smooth, fast parts of the trails, just to see how fast I can get before my brain tells me to slow down . In the park, I will occasionally go over easy boxes, but haven't really tried from jibbing in general. Haven't tried any rails yet, and if I do, I have a feeling they won't be a major part of my overall boarding. I do like jumping kickers when I see them on the trails and over medium to larger jumps/tabletops in the parks.

My main concern is my weight and shoe size, which I'm thinking the wider boards will be better for me. However, I've read that with just a 11.5 to 12 boot, that mid-wide boards will be fine. But I like the thought that the wider boards may help with my weight too. Is this true?

Between the two Burton models, the Custom V-Rockers are considered a bit softer flex in case that matters. Also, the Joysticks in the specs say "Downsize 1 to 2 cm From Normal Board Length" which I'm not sure why they say this.

Sorry for my rambling . Any thoughts of what would be best for me? Any other recommendations than what I have listed?

Thanks,
Jon
SnoRidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Mr. Polonia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brooklyn, Empire State
Posts: 1,093
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoRidr View Post
Twins separated at birth? I am pretty much in the same position as you. I am 6' 1" 195 and I have been also been looking at the same line up you have here. I also have about the same riding style as yourself, so its kinda nice to know I might be on the right track for board options. I've been riding an '07 Burton Royale for 3 years and consider myself an intermediate as well. I kinda have my sights on the following too:

Burton V-Rocker
Burton Joystick
Burton Custom X
K2 Slayblade
NS SL-R

I would also throw the NS L-R (maybe SL-R depending on boot size) in your options.
I ride on the custom X and i absolutely looove that board. this board is pretty much made for speed and just over all bombing down trails, it is also a pipe board.
if ur looking for all of the above plus doing jumps, some park and just having fun then i would deeply suggest the SL-R.
__________________
Without me, my board is useless. Without my board, I am useless
Mr. Polonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
chooch
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Yeah, well I ended up going with the Burton Joystick 161. I ended up finding a great deal on it, so couldn't pass it up ($400 new with the lift ticket). Thanks for your suggestions everyone! Hopefully this board won't disappoint

Jon
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums