Need help picking a set-up - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 10:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
4drSupraT78

Default Need help picking a set-up

I'm 5'8" and 135 lbs. My riding style is mostly just messing around on the mountain havin a good time, but will hit the park once in a while. I was looking into the new Burton Custom 154 and Burton Cartel EST bindings. Good/bad idea? If you guys have any experience with this set-up please let me know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2009, 05:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Id go with a non est Burton or just another company. I would recommen a Rome Agent 152 with Rome Targas or Union forces. Im the same height and 140 lbs and i ride a 148 in the park with rome 390s and if targas are similar your feet will be in heaven.
bubbachubba340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
eternalsnow.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbachubba340 View Post
Id go with a non est Burton or just another company. I would recommen a Rome Agent 152 with Rome Targas or Union forces. Im the same height and 140 lbs and i ride a 148 in the park with rome 390s and if targas are similar your feet will be in heaven.
Good man.

Burton is good stuff, but don't think it's the best cause it costs more.

HUGE fan of the Rome Agent for all-mountain - fantastic board, but don't own one. Also, Rome's bindings are kick ass, as are Union Forces and the Flux lineup, all my favorites. Targas might be a bit more than most people need, to be honest. You'd be super happy with 390s, Forces, or Flux Titans if you're looking at Cartels - the Titans might be the closest match as they're also all-composite rather than featuring aluminum heel cups like the Rome or Union bindings.

I will say, you might want to size down from a 154 - I'm an all-mountain bomber with little park play and ride a Nitro T1 153 (go noodle!) with Flux Super Titans and a Capita UltraFear 151 with Union Forces, am 5'8, 170, and think I have the best setups I've ever had.

As a reverse camber alternative to the Rome Agent, I feel more comfortable on my UltraFear than any snowboard I've ever had the opportunity to ride.

just to clarify here, to not seem quite so "iffy" here - I ride a Rome Agent a bunch each year, thanks to demos and whatnot, so while I don't "own" one, I'm on one about a third of the season, and don't need to buy one

Last edited by eternalsnow.com; 12-11-2009 at 02:50 PM. Reason: addin' to it...
Old 12-11-2009, 08:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Snowboarding101

Trust me man, you cant go wrong with the custom. I have the ics model from last year with un inc bindings (basically the cartel est's with better straps and canted footbeds). It is a sick setup. I use it mainly for all mountain riding. I don't take it through the park very much because I have a separate board for park, but when I do its awesome. It's a pretty awesome do everything setup.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You can get a board that's just as high quality as the Burton Custom that's more fun, for less.

Either the Capita Ultrafear, or the Capita Indoor Survival.

Mount either Union Force or Rome 390 bindings onto either of those Capita boards and you will be set.

Burton is almost always overpriced and the Custom is no exception to the rule.

09/10 Snowboard Line Overview | CAPiTA Super Corporation
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4drSupraT78 View Post
I'm 5'8" and 135 lbs. My riding style is mostly just messing around on the mountain havin a good time, but will hit the park once in a while. I was looking into the new Burton Custom 154 and Burton Cartel EST bindings. Good/bad idea? If you guys have any experience with this set-up please let me know!
that is a fantastic set-up... i have a custom x ICS with CO2 est's and u can really notice the comfort. if the money isnt an issue, then def get that set-up and dont listen to these "BURTON NAZI's"
Old 12-13-2009, 02:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Your choices put you at around $800. There's a lot of options at that price. I spent around $500 mid season last year and got a brand new Bataleon Goliath and Rome Targa bindings. IMO, a better bargain and setup than any overpriced Burton combo.

Last edited by ThugHunter; 12-13-2009 at 03:00 PM.
ThugHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThugHunter View Post
Rome Targa bindings.
those r sick lookin bindings. i saw them the other day for the first time and they look bullet proof
Old 12-13-2009, 04:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
4drSupraT78

Thanks for all the advice. As far as price goes, I'm getting a sick deal on the Burton stuff so money really isn't the problem. I decided to go with the new Custom and Exile EST bindings. Let you know how it turns out!
Old 12-13-2009, 04:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4drSupraT78 View Post
Thanks for all the advice. As far as price goes, I'm getting a sick deal on the Burton stuff so money really isn't the problem. I decided to go with the new Custom and Exile EST bindings. Let you know how it turns out!
congrats. i feel like a proud dad seeing my son being bought by the Yankees