Help me find what I should look for - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Srt-4life

Default Help me find what I should look for

I've decided to try some real snowboarding but need a little info from you guys
Im 5' 11" 170ish lbs.
Wear a 10 1/2 shoe

Live in SE Wisconsin. I will be using the board at Local parks. Probably (Sunburst) and/or around my house and a few local little parks. Im just getting into it so im not sure how much im going to like it but im almost sure I will like it. (I enjoyed the cheap boards and always wanted a real one so I could do tricks and hit some jumps and not crash and die when I land)

I've never tried a real snowboard before. I have ridden cheap fleet farm boards but just ended up getting frustrated.

I guess im on a budget because im a beginner. I'd like to buy used if possible just to save money. I don't know which brands are good or bad ect. I do understand it would be best to buy new boots though so I get a perfect fit for ME. I don't mind buying older models but I don't want something ancient I guess.

I can't say what I would really do most in a park or around my house. From what i've seen im sure im gonna be trying the jumps. I will probably be trying the rails and stuff too (Don't know all the names of things in the parks )

What kind of board should I be looking for? How long/wide ect.? Basically im just starting out and need advice from experienced snowboarders. Im going to try and go to the park soon and just rent a board to get a feel for everything.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2009, 05:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
kyouness

looks like you're gonna be a park rider mostly. also considering you're a beginner, i'd recommend a noodle for you. look at soft park boards in the 152-154 range.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

yeah that general range sounds about right.

Ride Kink 155 - $170
Omatic Awesome 153 - $189 (169 for 2008)

slim pickings right now but those are pretty decent. kink is soft and the awesome i think is medium stiffness. otherwise check craigslist for soft freestyle twin tip boards.
sumo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Srt-4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumo28 View Post
yeah that general range sounds about right.

Ride Kink 155 - $170
Omatic Awesome 153 - $189 (169 for 2008)

slim pickings right now but those are pretty decent. kink is soft and the awesome i think is medium stiffness. otherwise check craigslist for soft freestyle twin tip boards.
Will these boards all me to just carve down the hill without problems? Are these boards good quality brands?

The awesome board seems nice. Like a "do it all" board. I'd like that. I can try everything then and see what I like most.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Srt-4life

Give me some suggestions folks I like the idea of all mountain boards.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
kyouness

For the best bang for your buck, look for last season's capita stairmaster/scaremaster. You can probably find one for about 150-200 brand new.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

yeah all mountain boards are more versatile if you're unsure. you'll want a little big bigger size than what we recommended. personally i find smaller, softer boards to be more fun and maneuverable and are enough for any riding i want since my mountains are not that big.

check out Snowboard (155-159cm, Men's) | evo outlet
if you spend $350 (buy a board and pair of bindings or maybe boots too, after trying on of course) you get $100 off.

Last edited by sumo28; 12-09-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Srt-4life

So for a park board people usually go with smaller and all mountain larger? I'm probably gonna be riding on groomed hills in a park most of the time. Maybe a park board would be a better choice. I want to be able to try some jumps too though.... Can park boards handle jumps in the park?
Old 12-10-2009, 07:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srt-4life View Post
So for a park board people usually go with smaller and all mountain larger? I'm probably gonna be riding on groomed hills in a park most of the time. Maybe a park board would be a better choice. I want to be able to try some jumps too though.... Can park boards handle jumps in the park?
yeah if you buy a board intended for park you usually go smaller because you can maneuver and throw it easier since it's shorter and a tiny bit lighter. usually if you want a more versatile board it's because smaller boards sink easier in powder and lose some control/stability in choppy conditions + speed, and they'll be a little slower. personally i ride my park board 95% of the time and on heavy powder days i MIGHT bring out a longer board with a better shape to stay afloat or if i'm riding with the crazy reckless crowd i'll bring a longer, stiffer deck and give it a nice wax to help keep up.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
Srt-4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumo28 View Post
yeah if you buy a board intended for park you usually go smaller because you can maneuver and throw it easier since it's shorter and a tiny bit lighter. usually if you want a more versatile board it's because smaller boards sink easier in powder and lose some control/stability in choppy conditions + speed, and they'll be a little slower. personally i ride my park board 95% of the time and on heavy powder days i MIGHT bring out a longer board with a better shape to stay afloat or if i'm riding with the crazy reckless crowd i'll bring a longer, stiffer deck and give it a nice wax to help keep up.
Ok, seems understandable.

Are there any brands out there that I should watch out for when it comes to quality? Are any just really junk? What are some good brands out there that I could keep an eye on. It seems a lot of people have Never Summer boards....