new rider with question - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 07:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
escobar19

Thumbs up new rider with question

i looked around and couldnt seem to find anyone with questions exactly like mine...
im looking for a good beginner board, is there any brand specific to beginner? ive been looking for a used one on craigslist and there are some good deals.

first thing i wanted to get squared away is the board length
because i have seen sizing charts that set me at a 148
and then i have read elsewhere that i am to be looking for a board longer than that.

ALSO... i feel like some womens boots dont fit my ankle right because they are too tight. possibly i may just need to try more brands but the mens boot feels much better. i also understand that mens bindings fit mens boots and womens likewise. i know they say womens products are better for women but when you rent a board, do they give out rental products specific to gender? i dont feel like they did last time i went, i could be wrong.

with all that said, i hope i am making sense. its not like i just jumped onto this website without doing any research, i am just looking for more direction please. i plan on taking a lesson once i get up on the moutain in january.

Height: 5'7
Weight: 160ish, maybe a few more
Boot size: Mens 9, Womens 10.5
Riding style: beginner, freeride [only rode 1 time 2 yrs ago]
Location: i am going to be in lake tahoe, possibly Sierra ski resort
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2009, 07:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
oxi

148 would probably be a park board length for you. You'd probably wanna go with something 155-160, maybe even a bit more. What is your budget? Generally for a beginner, you're just looking for a softer board and most brands will make some sort of board that is good for beginners. Women boots are designed to fit the majority of women better through a bunch of research the company's done, but if a mens boot fits better for you I don't see why not.
oxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

hmm 155-160 sounds a little bit long to me? but yeah what's your budget - i like shopping
and with the boot thing it could be that the rentals you tried just suck... go try on some more. and snowboarding boots are supposed to fit snugger as long as they don't create pressure points or cut off circulation or aren't straining any part of your foot. men's boots could also be a solution though who knows
sumo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

At your weight and boot measurement, your range should be around 155-159. Remember, board sizing is very flexible depending on your preference. The shorter you go, the more control and less float. The longer you go, harder to control with more float. Float is important for powder days (natural, fresh fluffy snow = powder). Use this as a starting point. I would personally recommend you get a 156 or a 157. 148 is much too short for you for general riding in my opinion.

You have a bigger foot size so your choices will be limited with women's boots. I don't recommend you getting a men's boot because women have lower calves and the women's boots therefore have lower cuffs. Every boot is different though, so you might find a men's that suits you. Definitely search for a women's first though. The fit will be snug at first, but it will get better as you wear them. Every boot has this "break-in" period. Most liners in the boots will eventually mold to your feet. The best thing to do is go and try some on in a store. Keep them on as you shop around for at least 15 minutes. The longer, the better. Walk around and lean forward and back to get an idea of how it will feel when you do toe/heel side turns. Make sure that your heel does not lift off of the insole when you lean toe side. If it does and the boot fits great otherwise, ask the sales person if there are any additional padding available to keep your heel locked down. Some boots come with inserts already. If the boot is cutting off your circulation, then it is too small. If the boot is super comfortable from the moment you put it on, then it is probably too big. You will be a little uncomfortable for a few sessions until the boots break in so don't worry too much about that. Again, if it is tight to the point of your toes turning blue, it is bad. You're looking for a snug fit.

Bindings are not really different between men and women. In fact, a lot of women's bindings are exactly the same as the men's counterpart with different graphics. Some women's bindings are a little more flexible though because companies are sexist and assume you are weaker than us Herculean men You can go ahead and use a men's binding if needed, but there are lots of women's bindings that fit your size. You will generally be a large women's binding. Every brand is different so consult with their specific sizing charts.

As for the brand of your board, no there is no brand built specifically around a beginner. Brands generally have entry level boards that are meant for beginners, but I don't suggest you buy those. Get a mid-level board that isn't too stiff or too flexible.

Some pretty good boards for you

Rossignol Zena Womens Snowboard

Roxy Sugar Womens Snowboard 2009

Boots here, size 10 and 11.

Womens Snowboard Boots

Womens Snowboard Boots

Large bindings.

Womens Snowboard Bindings

Happy shreddin!
Old 12-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
escobar19

thanks for your help everyone