Camrock vs camber in powder, 157 or 160 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Camrock vs camber in powder, 157 or 160

How much better in powder is a 157 camrock board (Slash Brainstorm) vs a 158 camber board (sierra crew / custom from 2010)?

I'm trying to decide between a 157 or 160 Slash Brainstorm to pair with my 158 camber board from 2010. I don't have a chance to test riding a camrock board unfortunately. I see Brainstorm has 'great' rating for powder and 1.25" setback, so wondering if I can get away with the 157.

I'm solid intermediate, still looking to progress in switch, jumps, trees, moguls in addition to having a board with better float in powder.

~180lb without gear, 10.5 boot, 6'1 height. Coming from old 158 camber board from 2010 (249cm waist width), how much difference do the new camrock profiles make in powder?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
A camrock board will likely float better than the same board in traditional camber, but there's a lot more to powder performance than just camber profile. There are plenty of great traditional camber powder decks.
deagol likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Camber is just not the best profile in pow....

2015/16 -3- Kirkwood days
Arbor A-Frame 158 2009-10
Jeremy Jones Hovercraft 156, 2011/12
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
In order to have powder float, you want a big nose that gently curves upward. This helps the board plane.

You can also taper the board (wide nose/narrow tail) and play other tricks with the tail shape to help the rear end sink in powder. Large waist width also helps give more surface area for floatation. Unfortunately these things tend to limit the versatility of the board particularly when it comes to things like freestyle and switch riding.

Camrock is just about the best profile in my mind for an all mountain board. You get most of the edge hold and power of camber, much better float in powder and a ride that is a bit more forgiving without feeling really loose and slidy on steep stuff like a rocker board.

If you are looking for a board to ride everywhere that will perform decently in powder, camrock is a super good choice. If you are looking for something powder specific, a directional board with taper and a big old rockered nose is the ticket. Board like the Flight Attendent and PYL still do very well on hard park and others are designed basically completely for powder riding.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 07:32 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Some traditional camber boards will float well in powder, but it will have a lot to do with how you ride the board. Both the Arbor A-Frame and the Arbor Steepwater will be excellent in powder as they have huge setbacks, but they have to be ridden hard and fast, which is what they are meant for. Camber boards that float well in pow are few and far between these days, but the ones that do....kick some serious ass!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
157 camrock.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks, that helps. So any thoughts on 157 or 160 Brainstorm to pair with old camber 158 (e.g burton custom) ?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
not a pairing, it's a replacement. there is no condition or terrain where you would be reaching for an old camber deck that's essentially the same length. 157 if you ride tight trees, bumps, gnar, etc. more, 160 if you stick to the more wide open pow,trails and such, only you can answer that.

in my opinion
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Assuming two boards are the same except their camber profiles camrock will greatly reduce the rear leg burn you get with camber, and you will not need to set your stance back like people do with camber to help the nose float better. Just think of the shape of camber; when the pow is hitting the tail end it naturally pushes the nose down and the rider needs to lean back to compensate and their back leg has to deal with all that force. That little bit of rocker in the camrock helps so much, it kind of gives a pivot point where you can shift your weight back instead of having to lean back hard.
deagol likes this.

I don't believe in signatures
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmeirense1099 View Post
Thanks, that helps. So any thoughts on 157 or 160 Brainstorm to pair with old camber 158 (e.g burton custom) ?
More than likely the old one would become a rock board, or one you lend out to your friends, or a good dust collector. Realistically 3 cm aint gonna make much of a difference, and it would be wiser to look at things like waist width, effective edge and sidecut radius. I would personally go for the 60 because I like to ride fast and I can still throw a board like that around well enough in the trees, a 57 would feel kind of squirlly to me when I'm bombing flat out and thats not a trade off I would want to make for the extra nimbleness.

I don't believe in signatures

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode