old snowboard - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 05:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
boardfan

Default old snowboard

Hi all,
Is good to buy old snowboard? It is maybe 7 - 10 years old, but its never used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2009, 08:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

some old boards were built and ride well, but some are complete garbage. Keep in mind that you can find a decent new board for $300 or less if you look around the interweb
Old 12-11-2009, 08:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
boardfan

i am talking about smting like this burton http://burton.emptybottleworks.com/2...d_149_1487.jpg year 2000
or this http://burton.emptybottleworks.com/2...ELGOOD_144.jpg year 2003
Old 12-11-2009, 09:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

get a new oe newer tech = better riding
picturethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Get a newer board you may still be able to pick one up from last season.
This may make an ok 2nd board for bad conditions, but you may not like it at all after riding a new one.

http://www.bukisa.com/people/G2309
G2309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rocketbass88

Neither one of those boards were anything special even when they were new, so I'd say check around online and look for a deal on something from last year.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
boardfan

but i can have these boards for price about 100 euro, what is best to do, buy one old burton or some new low price board
Old 12-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rocketbass88

Burton isn't anything special... they just market themselves well. There are much better board companies out there and if I were you I'd pick up almost anything from Rome, Lib Tech, GNU, Ride, K2, or Never Summer that you can find around your price range. I know Burton is a well-known name in snowboarding, but in all reality, there are better boards, for less money, with more tech than Burton. Of course, if you want to rock a Burton, I'm sure you can find one in your price range that is still a little newer.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default +1 New(er)

I agree with the other posts. With the tech and materials going into snowboards now, you'd be a fool to buy a 7-10 year old board (even if it's new). You'll spend a little more money on a 2009 but it'll have a better base, better edges, it'll be less weight, and it'll be more compatible with other things you'll need like bindings (unles you've been able to find a 10 year old set of bindings in the box as well).

And even then, I'd still buy newer. Especially if you want to get a few years out of your board. In 3 years from now guys around you will be rocking 2011's and 12's and you'll be on a 13 year old board trying to keep up. Not worth the $68 you might save by purchasing something that old.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketbass88 View Post
Burton isn't anything special... they just market themselves well. There are much better board companies out there and if I were you I'd pick up almost anything from Rome, Lib Tech, GNU, Ride, K2, or Never Summer that you can find around your price range. I know Burton is a well-known name in snowboarding, but in all reality, there are better boards, for less money, with more tech than Burton. Of course, if you want to rock a Burton, I'm sure you can find one in your price range that is still a little newer.
I have to agree with this. I ride Burton gear because the board I have right now is everything I've ever wanted from a snowboard and I love it, but f#ck did I pay for it. I find their prices are a good $100+ than the competition when compairing quality. Where A lower end beginner board from another company may cost you $300, A Burton Bullit will cost you $400 before taxes. Yes, Burton is making some sick sticks right now, but they'll cost you anywhere between $700 - $1000+ (not completely out of it, a CX costs $830 up here, but a Lib Tech dark Series will run you $799).

I won't shit on you like a handfull of others will on this forum if you want to ride Burton, just know Ride, NS, Rome, K2, Forum, Salomon, and Option (if you can find one) all make good boards and you won't be buying anything "lower" buy going with a different company.

Last edited by Dano; 12-11-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote