Need help picking a board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2009, 03:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need help picking a board

Hey, for this christmas, my parents are going to buy my a board but I don't know what to choose. This is going to be my first board but i have been snowboarding for four years but have just been renting.

I usually free-ride but I want to start getting into jibs, rails, and all that. I am 5'4'' and 145lbs. I was looking at the GNU Carbon Credit or the Lib Tech Skate Banana but I don't know if i would just waste it by not being good enough with it. So can you guys help me out?

Also, can you guys suggest me some binding also?
MoNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 04:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

im almost in the same boat as u...i just got my board a few months ago and i got a rome graft 155..im 5'10"...this board for jibs n park is prob one of the best i hear n read in reviews..im not that great so i was afraid i wouldnt be able to handle it..turns out this board made me better..such good stability and flex..i really suggest u get a rome..just look up some reviews on the graft..everyone loves this damn thing..its perfect!!

Last edited by bxnykbridge; 12-15-2009 at 04:11 PM.
bxnykbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Is there a budget that your parents are going to spend for your board? What size do you ride as a rental? For free-ride, I'm thinking roughly 153-157cm. You have to consider the what kind of board and technology you want for your board. You said free-ride, so you would want to look for a stiffer longer board for free-riding. Then in the recent years, many companies are making and jumping in the bandwagon of reversed cambers (bananas, rockers, anti-/negative- cambers), so you have to consider that; versus traditional or positive camber (which you should had been riding in all your years of rental riding).

If you are unsure about rev-camber, go do some research on it, search on this forum, go demo a rocker board; and then if you still have questions, come back and ask again.

I think the Libtech Banana is meant more for park, and is a soft board. Check out the Libtech T. Rice C2 btx, Dark, TRS. I'm not too sure about which Libtechs are meant for free-ride though.

Rome Agent, Agent 1985. Consider the Postermania, if you like the sound of the Graft. K2 Believer, Darkstar, Turbo Dream, Jibpan... just to name a few.
gamer539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Also, my shoe size is 7-8. I forget what my snowboard shoe size was. What size board do you guys think i should get if im doing all mountain and do i need a narrow board?
Old 12-16-2009, 05:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

Bump.... I need your opinions!!!!
Old 12-16-2009, 10:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
usmc2010ad

Look it depends on your skill level when picking a board. I have been snowboarding for years and recently bought a 158 forum destroyer. This is apparently an all mountain board, but I found that it was long and stiff and tough to do tricks on.

If you are comfortable free riding any size mountain then you can afford to buy a board a little small for you. If your 5'4'' I would recommend a board of 149 or 151 cm. This is because I ride a 151 and I am 5'11''. Because I can ride tough terrain with a small and light board it works out that the smaller and lighter board is easier to do jumps, rails etc.

So I am not too knowledgable about specific boards but keep in mind your skill level in free riding before you go out and buy a small park board. If you cant handle double blacks or so with a small board, it might not be a good choice to buy one.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Progress

What kind of price range are we talking here?

I would say a 148 or a 151 would be good for you.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Helikaon34

dude, I'd say go with a 150-152 range. If you go below a 150 you may find its a bit short for if you leave the PA area. You say free-ride, but in truth, I don't think you need a true free-ride board being in PA and with you wanting to hit the park.

Agree with Gamer that if you want to stick with Libtech, the TRS and T.Rice are good options. If your parents have the cash, the Never Summer Evo-R would be sweet too and would keep you happy for a few years. Also consider the GNU Riders Choice BTX; its a bit stiffer but still have the magnatrac and RC. Also, you don't need a "narrow" board, just don't buy wide.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Alright, for Progress, I dont really have a price range but i dont want to be spending too much.

Yea since I like in PA, theres alot of Ice and machinemade snow and I heard that the magne-traction will help with the icey spots.

SO would the skate banana be good for me or no?

And as far as my skill level, I usually ride down double blacks and terain park, but i heard that PA double blacks aren't as difficult as other places so i dont know what level I would be somehwere else.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Progress

If you are looking at under or around 500$ I would look into;
K2 SlayBlade
K2 Jibpan
NS SL-R (of course)
LT Skate Banana

There are many other more budget jib boards you can look into such as the;
K2 WWW
Capita Stairmaster
DC PBJ
Ride Kink

A little online research should narrow those down to your needs and wants.