weight limits - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2009, 08:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
brown_boarder

Default weight limits

I am 5'10 and weigh 85-88kg (190lbs). I want to get a Burton Custom V Rocker but it is telling me because of my weight I would need a 163. I was thinking of getting a 156 or 159.

The question I have is what happens if you ride a board that is less than your weight limit?

Is it just so you dont break it? or does it affect the performance of the board??

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2009, 08:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

ignore those weight limits. you will do just fine on a 156. They put those up there cause for some reason they think that like height, your weight automatically determines your board size. The board will be nice and flexy too =)

Edit: Let me rephrase, YOU at your weight should ignore those limits, 190 is not really that heavy, however someone at 250 lbs prob should pay a little attention to the limits and not buy a 148 or something.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
brown_boarder

Thanks Twin.... I appreciate your response.... Looks like its the 156 then
Old 12-17-2009, 08:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm 205lbs. riding 155 boards.
laz167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

if all you ever want to ride is hard pack or pounded piste then sure a shorter than recommended board will work. in fact, a shorter board will allow you to spin and turn more quickly. i learnt on a plank that was about 8cm shorter than recommended.

if you want to savour some soft stuff tho, then you are likely to struggle on a shorty unless you maintain stupid speeds.

you will be hard pushed to damage even the shortest board, whatever your weight; they are strong things. length vs body weight is important due to the distribution of your mass thru the area of the board's surface and thus into the squishy snow you are floating on.

height has got nothing to do with anything.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Weight is the biggest factor when determining board size.

10/11 - 24, Smote on Feb 13
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

I am the same weight as you and 5-11 I have been riding a Custom 159 for years from ice to Utah Powder.
TMXMOTORSPORTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin89 View Post
ignore those weight limits. you will do just fine on a 156. They put those up there cause for some reason they think that like height, your weight automatically determines your board size. The board will be nice and flexy too =)

Edit: Let me rephrase, YOU at your weight should ignore those limits, 190 is not really that heavy, however someone at 250 lbs prob should pay a little attention to the limits and not buy a 148 or something.
I'm sorry, this is the single worst advice next to people sizing snowboarders based on height. Weight is the MAJOR determinant when choosing a board.

With that said, the weight limits are there for a very good reason. The intended flex of the board is designed for people within that weight range. However, what I think my good friend is trying to say is that you shouldn't take those weight suggestions as gospel. They are meant to give you a starting point. From a 163, you can go lower for more flex and control, or go higher for less flex and less control, but more float and speed. You also need to realize that some boards are inherently "flexy" or as people call them... Noodles. These are mainly park boards. You don't want to go too low if the board is already flexy for your suggested size.

Another factor you need to consider is your riding style. Are you in the park most? Then go with a smaller board for more control. Do you ride powder (fresh, natural, fluffy snow)? Then go with a longer board for better float. In the powder situation, a 190lb person on a 156 board is going to have his back leg burning like a mofo by the end of the run even if it is set-back. Do you ride all-mountain? Then the suggested weight is great for that type + or - 2cm.

Now, with a Rocker board, you can definitely go lower than normal and still have excellent powder performance. This is due to the shape of the board that naturally gives you more float and control.

I am 5'9 (height does not matter unless you are extremely abnormal like 7'5 100lbs), 175-180lbs, size 9.5 boots and I ride a 158. I am a freerider that likes to do flatland tricks. I don't do park. If I rode park, I'd hop on a 155 or 156.

I tried my friends Custom X (no rocker) 156cm, and I did not like it. I had a lot of control, but it was too slow for me. That's another factor with longer boards. You get more speed.

I'm not sure what size options are available to you, but I think a 157 or 158 would suit you really well.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
mjd

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_boarder View Post
I am 5'10 and weigh 85-88kg (190lbs). I want to get a Burton Custom V Rocker but it is telling me because of my weight I would need a 163. I was thinking of getting a 156 or 159.

The question I have is what happens if you ride a board that is less than your weight limit?

Is it just so you dont break it? or does it affect the performance of the board??

Thanks for your help!
You want the 56. If you're deep pow you can set it back all the way and it'll float you through anything.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

people put way too much into those things. I'm 270 and ride a 159 wide Rome Riff and I killed it in thigh deep pow at Northstar last weekend.

You can ride anything, it comes down to personal preference and what trade-offs you're willing to make.