Gear for $560? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2009, 04:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Gear for $560?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, feel free to move it.

So I'm looking for some gear to get me on the slopes this season, and my budget is about $560. It would be nice to be able to order it online, doesn't matter much if it's from different websites or anything, just online.
As far as I know (as I'm likely to forget something) the things I need now are:
A board
Boots
Bindings
And maybe pants.

Really the important thing is the board/boots/bindings (but having enough for pants would still be nice), so I ask, what do you all suggest for products in the price range? I'm about 5' 7" if that helps with the length of the board.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions
InsideTheCinema is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2009, 09:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Progress

Well, you are diffently looking at '09 boards then, maybe '08 bindings and or boots.

What exactly, are you looking to do on this setup?
Old 12-17-2009, 10:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mostly just casual riding down the slopes. Being able to hit the terrain park a bit would be nice, but it's not exactly my main focus. The conditions I'll be riding in will vary a lot from something more powdery to the spew from the snow makers.

The thing is I've been snowboarding a few times and taken a liking to it, but am tired of the rentals. I think my problem lies in the fact that I have no clue what I should be looking for/avoiding since all I ever did was rent.

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Progress

Haha alright well.

What size boot do you wear? Also it's not your height that matters for the length of the board as the kiddies behind the rental booth would make you believe it's actually your weight, so how much do you weight?

I'd say start off with some '09 Burton Missions for your bindings. Good solid over all binding I have them I think mine are '08s but they are still working perfectly no problems here. You can get them real cheap somewhere online right now probably. Most of last seasons gear will be on sale right now 40%+ off.

BUT, you want to pick out some comfortable boots first before anything else. If you know of a local shop go in with no thought or option of buying ANYTHING that day. Make sure you don't get suckered into buying anything. Just simply go in to try out some boot feels. Again look at last seasons stuff. Becareful they will be like sharks trying to get rid of their old stuff. Do not let them pressure you at all. If they ask if you want to buy it just say not today i'll be back another day. LEAVE NOW! (don't look around, just run for the nearest exit!) LOL

That will be a good start though.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks, I went to a little local place around here and tried on some of the boots. I found that 10's are pretty much a good size for me. They were past snug, not uncomfortably so, and I've been told they'll get a little bigger when the linings compress a bit.

I weigh a little under 140lbs so according to the-house.com's sizing chart I should be around a 154cm board. Does that sound about right?

Thanks again for the help.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
eL.Snow.Boarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideTheCinema View Post
Thanks, I went to a little local place around here and tried on some of the boots. I found that 10's are pretty much a good size for me. They were past snug, not uncomfortably so, and I've been told they'll get a little bigger when the linings compress a bit.

I weigh a little under 140lbs so according to the-house.com's sizing chart I should be around a 154cm board. Does that sound about right?

Thanks again for the help.
The thing about boots are, you really have to find a specific model that fits your foot perfectly. For me for instance, many of the size 12's didn't work except for some 32's that felt incredible.