nitro team vs. ride dh vs. gnu rider's choice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2009, 10:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
dinger1911

Exclamation nitro team vs. ride dh vs. gnu rider's choice

hey guys i was wondering if you all could help me out. Im getting a new board but I am stuck between a few. I am 6 ft tall, weigh 210 lbs, and am mainly looking for an all-mountain board, but would like to be able to have some fun with it in the park as well. I've narrowed it down to the nitro team 159 wide, ride dh 159 wide, adn the gnu rider's choice 158.5 wide. I need a board thats a little stiffer since i am a little heavier than some riders, but i still need to get some flex out of it on rails and butters. I also need a wide board because i have size 12 feet. If you have ridden or know much about these boards please reply and let me kow what you think. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2009, 06:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Whatever board you get, make sure it's the Wide version.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

5'10, 180-185. I Spent the last weekend at Mammoth on the team gullwing 159, regular width. We got buried in snow. In that board, for your weight, I'd consider going up a size. I had a great time on it.
First off, it rides smaller than other boards out there due to the scoop in the nose and tail. This shortens your effective edge.
The Minus side is you ride a larger board than you would normally, but the plus side is that you have a long tip and tail for the pow. Also, the Tapered ends are light, so you don't really feel like your're riding a bigger board. I compared it to a K2 JibPan 158 (Last years, reg. camber) and the JibPan felt way longer. You could see it when you got on the board. So It doesn't feel as big as a board like the never summer SL-R.

It charges really well, I felt fast and stable the whole time. Butters, ollies nice. It took me about two runs to get used to the camber and then I was good to go.
Stability seemed good for me, I could really go fast on it and stay in control.

I like having the Camber at the tips for charging, it really feels good to get those tips pressing into the snow. Also the board had a good surfy feel in powder due to the natural rocker. You could lay a turn from a more centered stance, and the board would just bend from the middle and whip around.

Lastly, I'd have to comment on the base. I don't know if it was the wax or what (I used toko Cold/Warm 80/20, my buddy used Bluebird/Swix) but I was way faster than my buddy on the flats, runouts, etc all weekend.. He had a new Never Summer Evo-R with a fresh coat of wax on it.

To me the toss up would be between this board and a never summer . I could probably drop down a size in the NS if I wanted to, just because of the edge length. Haven't demoed one yet.
supercollider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
franchise9

i would go wit the GNU Riders Choice BTX personally.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tangoflaps

I had a Nitro team a few years back - I found it a bit too stiff and the asymetric side cut was awful (in my opinion) - when riding switch it kind of launch into every turn - I didn't like it at all. Although this was the team board from about 7 years ago maybe things have changed! But I wouldn't buy another one!

I am currently looking for a new board and am coming down on the side of the riders choice, hoping it isn't too stiff but really keen to try the new base tech!