Burton Lux for a youth Boy? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2009, 11:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
corlay

Default Burton Lux for a youth Boy?

Hello.

Looking for opinions here.
I'm trying to buy an economical, probably used, setup for my Son.
He's a beginner rider, that will probably progress quickly to intermediate status this season.
I'd like to get a board that he can get more than one season out of.

He's 9yrs. old and 5'0"/5'-1" / 100#/105#, and growing.

I found a used Burton Lux 139cm board for sale locally, at a really great price.
Would this make a good choice? I know that it's designated as a Women's board,
but that graphics on this model are more uni-sex than "girly", IMO.
In Burton's "Board Finder" they list this as an advanced rider board,
which has me wondering if it'll be a difficult ride for him?
(too stiff, maybe?)
Can anyone comment on the Lux for this (unintended) purpose?

In looking for boards, it seems that there are a lot of choices 135cm and under in Boys/Youth boards, and then Men's sizes start around 144-ish. That's quite a large gap, that I believe my Son falls into. Any reason *not* to look at a 140cm Women's board? (as long as the graphics aren't overly feminine, of course!)

As far as Youth boards go, I'd love to find a (used) Capita Stairmaster Mini 138 at the right price, but so far I've come up empty. But would I be better off looking for boards >=140 just for longevity of use? Another viable option seems to be a Burton Punch? Just no a lot of choices out there in the 138-140 range...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2009, 11:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rockr

Burton is a great brand for everyone. But your son WILL grow and you will want to get him a board that wont last him just one season. The Lux probably would be great, but if you could find a stairmaster like you mentioned that should be your first choice. Also, how many times a year does he board? that could help with your decision.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Using a girl's snowboard won't really affect your son other than it will be softer than it was intended for. They build girl's/women's boards to have more flex because boys/men are naturally stronger. The core is also constructed differently to compensate for our differences in center of gravity.

That is all of the technicality of boards. With that said, your boy can learn on it just fine. If you do question the graphics at all, you can just plaster it with stickers. Try to do a 140. That size is just fine for him and it will stretch out your budget as well. What is your budget anyway?

I have a brand new 09 Burton Custom Smalls 140. My girlfriend bought it for herself, but I went and bought her a Women's Burton Lux from the same year so she never used the Custom. I just never got around to posting it on Ebay LOL. PM me if you are interested.