some questions on waxing - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2009, 08:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default some questions on waxing

sorry for another post about waxing but... I've searched and read (i think) all the posts on here about waxing and watched snowolfs instructional video (nice job by the way) and another video on youtube. I've got the basics but i still am a little confused. I've read posts that say NOT to use an iron that has holes and some that say holes are fine. I also read something about kerosine for a pre-cleaner on the base and was a little confused on how/why that was used and wondered if it is really worth it. I also couldn't tell what kinds of brushes were being used (steel wool, regular soft bristles,etc) and I'm not sure so correct me if I am wrong but the brushes are used before to get dirt/old wax off, and then after to channel the wax right? And do i need to loosen the bindings? I think snowolfs video did say that but the other one did. and Finally, what is the cheapest, most effective scraper? I've heard about plastic, plexi glass, and metal. Couldn't I just use something like a putty knife from a hardware store for like $2? I remember snowolf saying to use a plastic one first though so you don't eff up and gouge your base.

So right now I have a board that needs some wax before I finally get to start my season in a couple weeks, some wax from Dick's sporting goods (only carried one kind so it was easy to pick out), and an old iron (with holes). based on all my other previous questions please try to clear things up for me and tell me what I should get (cheap but effective please) Thanks.
jordan2734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2009, 07:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

hehe i have some of the same questions so i think its a nice post

i was thinking the brushes ... are they like regular kitchen brushes but just with shorter hears ? (english not my strongest language so some names don't mean much)
addon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

You can use an iron with holes but eventually wax will get inside and burn out the heating element. It is better to use an iron made for waxing. It will keep a much more consistent temperature. Do not use your mom's clothing iron (you'll ruin the iron and her clothes). A putty knife will not work. Just get a cheap plastic scraper. A smaller scraper is better (a little more than half board width). They sell little SWIX scrapers for about $7. I use a brush they had up near the front of Advance Auto parts for $2.

The iron should be at the lowest setting. If wax is smoking, it's too hot. Also, the burning wax vapor is highly toxic.

Last edited by baldylox; 12-21-2009 at 12:21 PM.
baldylox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan2734 View Post
sorry for another post about waxing but... I've searched and read (i think) all the posts on here about waxing and watched snowolfs instructional video (nice job by the way) and another video on youtube. I've got the basics but i still am a little confused. I've read posts that say NOT to use an iron that has holes and some that say holes are fine. I also read something about kerosine for a pre-cleaner on the base and was a little confused on how/why that was used and wondered if it is really worth it. I also couldn't tell what kinds of brushes were being used (steel wool, regular soft bristles,etc) and I'm not sure so correct me if I am wrong but the brushes are used before to get dirt/old wax off, and then after to channel the wax right? And do i need to loosen the bindings? I think snowolfs video did say that but the other one did. and Finally, what is the cheapest, most effective scraper? I've heard about plastic, plexi glass, and metal. Couldn't I just use something like a putty knife from a hardware store for like $2? I remember snowolf saying to use a plastic one first though so you don't eff up and gouge your base.

So right now I have a board that needs some wax before I finally get to start my season in a couple weeks, some wax from Dick's sporting goods (only carried one kind so it was easy to pick out), and an old iron (with holes). based on all my other previous questions please try to clear things up for me and tell me what I should get (cheap but effective please) Thanks.
alright heres the scoop... u asked so many questions and i hope i answer them all:

irons made specifically for waxing are dif in shape. they are flat, have no holes and arent as hot.
its safer to use them because of the temp adjustments. (some of them have a preset dial according to the wax u'll be using) u can use a reg iron but u have to be more careful with the temp settings and not to get mom upset if u clogged the steam holes.

the pre cleaner is basically used to remove all the wax from the base and to start from scratch. after the season is finished, the pores in the base may be polluted with dirt,grime, pebbles etc. so this is how to remove everything and start waxing on a nice and clean base.

as for the brushes...first use a brass hair brush before u lay ur wax down. this brush will basically sweep all dirt from the base so that u wouldnt wax over a dirty base.
after u laid down some wax and ironed it and let it cool... u scrape it all off and after u do that u can run a scotch-brite pad along the length of the board to get some remainder of the wax off that the scraper didnt get to..especially underneath the bindings.
that is why some people remove the bindings, because the screws actually SUCK in the board creating a dimple.But that isnt necessary, its based on ur preference.
after that u comb the length of ur board with a nylon brush. this pretty much is the buffing stage which really gets ur board smooth. And the last step is run a felt brush in the same lengthwise direction, until u really see the channels of ur base. All these brush steps should be done along the length of the board, and shouldnt take u more than 5-10 extra minutes.

u can start off with a plastic scraper like Snowolf said so that u will get the feel of scraping.
If ur gonna use a metal one, REMEMBER TO ALWAYS KEEP IT FLAT or else u will put gouges in ur base.
Some people also take a file on the corner of the metal scraper and round off the edges to prevent that.

I just use a plastic one from burton and i just use a file to sharpen the edges everytime i scrape.
i prefer to be safer.

hope this helped
Old 12-21-2009, 12:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

I usually hot scrape to remove old wax, dirt, etc. Some people use citrus based cleaners, but I find they leave a film on the board. The other thing you can use is mineral spirits (paint thinner), $5 a can at Home Depot. It evaporates quick too.
Psi-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

ok well for now i think i'm just gonna use my old, beaten up, iron and probably invest in a real waxing iron later. I'll have to go to my snowboard shop and pick up a plastic scraper too for now. Is cleaning the base out with something neccesary? or does brushing it down with a brass brush get the job done? (i remember all the dirt/dust from snowolf's video when he was brushing without a cleaner)
jordan2734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

actually if you go to 2nd hand stores you can sometimes find old old flat bottom irons with no holes....i have one that i love..very consistent heating and what i really like about it is that it has a good weight to it...makes spreading the wax very easy and the "feel" of it is really nice....sounds weird to say that...but i find the heaviness pleasing to me as i wax...cost me 3 bucks about 7 years ago...runs like a champ.
TheClash is offline   Reply With Quote