help me find the right board.. Im a beginner - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2009, 06:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default help me find the right board.. Im a beginner

I went to Hidden Valley this weekend. First time i have ever snowboarded. I was riding a Burton Clash 161. Which was way to big for me. It felt very unstable for me as i could not turn on it without falling down.. ha but it was still alot of fun. Anyways I am wanting to buy a board now.. So give me some options..

I will probabably want an all around board.. As i improve i might start hitting some small jumps but nothing to crazy.

My Height: 5'6" - 5'7"
Weight: 120-125 lbs
Shoe Size: 9

from reading up on websites i would probably need a 148-149.

Im looking to spend about 400 or less on a board.. Id like the best buy for my budget anyways...

As far as bindings im not sure on those either.. but ill spend bwetween 100-150 on them..

So let me know what you can suggest for me..
jon o is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2009, 07:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Ohh yeah.. I am a male and I am 29 years old.. So as far as growing any more.. i dont see that happening.. maybe a little weight but ive been the same weight for the past 10 years...
Old 12-21-2009, 09:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

This board in a 151. It's excellent for beginners because of the reverse camber, and excellent for intermediate up to pro as well.

It's a soft board with the FK tech which makes the board so cool imo. Being soft allows for easier carving, playfulness, and park stuff if you want that.

I ride mine all over the mountain though

Horrorscope FK | CAPiTA Super Corporation

You would probably like a pair of Rome 390 or Union Forces on this board for bindings, but may have to buy used or last seasons if you want to stay in your price range. Both bindings are good for park and all mountain riding.
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The 161 is too big for your height and weight, but as far as first time riding goes most boards will seem unstable, however it is probably harder due to the length vs your weight.

Doesnt look like you'll need a wide board based on your shoe size but you didnt say anything about buying boots in your post either. Please please please dont ride in boots bought from a store, I'm talking about work boots or "duck boots", snowboard boots will help alot, probably the most important part in your gear.

Ok it's sorta up to you on the brand here, you'll want a softer flexing board to start on, it is more forgiving and will make turning a bit easier when you get to that point. Most, if not all, board companies have entry level type boards. Since you dont have any gear I'd recommend going to a shop and looking at what they have and talking to the staff there. Make sure when you get boots they fit properly, boots that look good but fit bad aren't going to do you any good, that's why I'm saying go to a shop rather than buying online. However, I went to a local shop (which I hate the people there) tried on boots and then bought them online cheaper once I found my size. Same goes for boards and bindings.

To sum it up, you're looking for an all mountain, soft flexing board, and any shop should be able to guide you to the right board for you. If you can rent a smaller board you may want to try that. I'm not brand-pushing but I have a buddy who has only been riding a couple years,he is on a burton blunt and is totally happy with it (also burt freestyle boots and bindings) but again, the brand is really up to you at this point. Have fun out there!
Deviant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

the OP is a friend of mine. good suggestion but we dont have shops ANYWHERE to look at gear, it all comes from online so we heavily appreciate yalls recommendations. im glad you reccomended the horrorscope because i just ordered the sierrascope for myself as im in a similiar boat as jono.
c_mack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Any more opinions from anyone else? like cmack9 said. We dont have any stores around here to go into to look and try on gear. pretty much. i just have to go by reviews and what you people have to say.. Im open to all options though.. So any other suggestions you all have let me know.. thanks
Old 12-23-2009, 10:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

would a Never Summer SL-R (151) be a good baord too?
Old 12-23-2009, 10:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The SL-R is an awesome board, but as a beginner get a circuit-r for the softer flex. Find a pair of 390's and you will have a setup that you cab learn on without outgrowing in one season.

The Never Summer SL-R is the best all mountain board I have been on... Ever.
Buy it... Ride it... Love it...
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Progress

Any N-S board is good, but if you want something to learn on, and is a cheaper budget, but absolutely amazing for the price. Check out Sierrasnowboards Sierrascope.

Capita Sierrascope FK - Snowboards Reviews & Sale | SierraSnowboard.com

It's basically a Capita Indoor fk in the shape of a Capita Horrorscope fk.
$349 but with the coupon insidescope entered in it brings the price down to $299.

Throw some 390's or Titans on it and you are ready to hit what ever you want to hit.

I'm picking up the 152 Sierrascope next week probably and I am your weight and a few inches taller then you.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

A 151 SL-R would fit you perfectly honestly.

A Circuit-R would as well but its more of a soft flexy board, which while good for some things can bite you a bit if you ever want to get going fast...
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote