Bataleon Jam/Goliath vs. Rome Anthem - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2009, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rocksvillebeer

Default Bataleon Jam/Goliath vs. Rome Anthem

I know I'm over analyzing this, but to ease my mind I need some oppinions.

I'm 6'2", about 185-190 lbs, size 10 boot, been riding for 17 years in Utah. I love to freeride--powder, steeps, trees, cliffs, jumps, groomers, natural features etc but don't spend much time in the park, and don't mess with rails. I would say 75% all mountain freeride, 15% backcountry (and backcountry kickers up to 40'), 10% park. I ride pretty hard, but I'm not what I used to be when I had the time to ride 75-100 days per year.

Last year I replaced an old K2 A-star 162 with a Rome Anthem 162. I put about 15 days on it last year and I'm still not 100% sold on it. It seems a little stiff and lifeless to me, and when bombing groomers it gets a little chattery (tried to de-tune, still does it). I like to play around a little bit on the flat land, and I really can't get the Anthem to do much for me--I was much more confortable on the A-star and the Burton Rippy 56 I had prior to that.

So, I have a chance to get a really good deal on a Bataleon board, but I'm back and forth between the Goliath and The Jam--161 in both. Same physical specs on both, but the Jam is stiffer (5 vs 7 on the Bataleon scale), is set back slightly futher, and has s sintered base.

Does anyone have any experience with an Anthem vs. either of these Bataleon boards? I like the sintered base on the Jam, but I'm worried it would still be stiffer than I want. I guess my biggest question is how stiff is The Jam compared to an Anthem?

Is the extruded/sintered base hybrid on the goliath really that much slower? It's been years since I've been on anything other than sintered.

Thanks for any help

Last edited by Rocksvillebeer; 12-23-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2009, 09:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

have u demo'd a bataleon board yet? I'm anxious to try one.

i guess the Jam is a stiffer board than the Goliath, at your weight maybe u'd like the Jam better?
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rocksvillebeer

I haven't tried one yet and believe me I would if I could. I've read a lot about it and have found very few bad reviews, but there aren't a ton of people riding them it seems. There is only one shop in Utah that carries them, and they don't have Demo's. But, to be honest, at the price I can get it at I could turn around and sell it pretty easily and no-harm no-foul. I can only snag one most likely so I want to be sure to get the one that suits me best.

I've read some reviews that the Jam is too stiff...and reviews both stiff and soft on the Goliath. This morning I was leaning towards the Goliath.....but tonight I'm leaning towards the Jam. The Jam sure is ugly though
Old 12-23-2009, 01:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I love my Jam. It has good pop, isn't overly stiff, but does a good job of killing chatter and just bombs through the moguls. If you want to add something to the quiver in addition to your Anthem, the Goliath will be more of a contrast. If you're looking to replace the Anthem, the Jam is the way to go. You'll want a 161 in either.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The 2010 Jam is a Cadillac.... It's so fast that it feels like it has a motor, you can run over a small child and not feel it, and you can get some nice pop when needed.

But Bataleon leaves something lacking IMO.... Edge hold can be an issue. With my style of riding I found the edge hold was insufficient and ultimately became my reason for selling my Jam besides the fact that I fell in love with another board and began cheating on The Jam.

If your a mild rider that doesn't power everything you do, then a Bataleon will be fine. And based upon the boards in question, the jam is the best pick. However I would suggest a Capita Black Death or Never Summer Premier for you.
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo303 View Post
Edge hold can be an issue. With my style of riding I found the edge hold was insufficient and ultimately became my reason for selling my Jam besides the fact that I fell in love with another board and began cheating on The Jam.

If your a mild rider that doesn't power everything you do, then a Bataleon will be fine.
I don't ever find any issue except in really icy conditions. In those instances I just have to be really quick side to side and not load up the turns as much. At those times I wish I had MTX again. Hopefully my new Never Summers (on the way) will work for those days. I keep saying that if Bataleon adds some sort of variable edge tech, I will be fully content. As long as there's some snow on the ground, be it pow or groomers, TBT shines.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rocksvillebeer

Good insite, thank you! This would replace the Anthem, but at some point I may try to get into a shorter, softer board for the spring. Just have to see how things work out.

I wish I could demo the thing, but it's not an option. I think I'll grab the Jam and see how it does.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ha, your situation sounds exactly like mine Rocksvillebeer, im also 185-190 lbs but a inch shorter, 15 yrs exp., riding style is about 70% speed on groomers and about 30% park and natural features, not to much powder or cliff drops out here tho. I also wanted to replace my hard charging board so My boy Milo just hooked me up with his 161 jam wide to fit my 11 boot. It was bit stiffer then I thought but nothing rediculous I strapped in and could definitly still flex it pretty smoothly, with some effort I could prob get the nose up about 17" or so but thats on my carpet lol. going to take it out this weekend for the first time so I will report back with details. but I know what you mean about the anthem, I felt it was lifeless also, and although I like Rome I felt it was just "cheaply" made. I'll tell you this if im really digging this TBT which im assuming I will then I will prob be picking up a Goliath asap for the same reason I want a playfull board (but not a noodle) aswell for days I just want to F&%K around.

Last edited by NYinfamous2k2; 12-23-2009 at 01:13 PM.
NYinfamous2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rocksvillebeer

Sweet, I'd really like to hear your feedback on this. Let me know how it goes for sure.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

another thing I might mention is the jam is stiffer then the anthem
NYinfamous2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote