User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Help me please...!!

Hi guys and girls...

Ok, I am looking at getting my first board and I am not sure what size. I am new to snowboarding but I want to eventually do more 'freestyle' stuff! So I know that a shorter board is better.

I am 6ft 4 and I am getting different board sizes from different websites, calculators and people! Ranging from 156cm to 164cm.

I've found a really nice board I like at 152cm, would this be too short or would I get away with it?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Hi guys and girls...

Ok, I am looking at getting my first board and I am not sure what size. I am new to snowboarding but I want to eventually do more 'freestyle' stuff! So I know that a shorter board is better.

I am 6ft 4 and I am getting different board sizes from different websites, calculators and people! Ranging from 156cm to 164cm.

I've found a really nice board I like at 152cm, would this be too short or would I get away with it?

Cheers

A snowboard doesn't care how tall you are. All it feels is how much you weigh.

Then from there, before we even talk boards, we need to talk boots. Read the forum thread on boots because it doesn't matter how good your board is, if your boots suck, you suck. Get with Wired if you can and get those right and spend the money there first and foremost. The board doesn't really matter as much. As most will tell you, freestyle riding is 90% rider, 10% board.

Moving from there, where do you ride? Are you talking mainly jib? Jumps? All-mountain +Freestyle? Have you ridden before? The more info you give us, the better your answer will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Days riding 16/17: 13
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cheers.

Well, boots wise I have got a pair of used deeluxe's, I read that they were decent, so got them - I'm new to snowboarding (used to skateboard) so at the minute, need to focus on the basics and then basic tricks... So for now, I think I just need equipment that will get me from A to B (with a few falls in there I'm sure!!)

I weigh around 100-110kg(ish) at the minute, but I am planning to lose weight so planning for that too!

If the board isn't that important then I should be ok (I think..?)

Thanks for the help to a newbie!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 03:49 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Hi Matt,

At 100 to 110 kg (220 to 240 lbs) you are big dude and you need a board that is designed for your specs. Choosing a board by cm size is not suggested...but even so, you will not want a 152 cm in any model. It will make learning very frustrating.

If you don't mind backtracking a step or two, let's get some basics.

Where do you ride?

Please measure your foot using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Here's my two cents. Listen to wired and hook yourself up with some boots that fit correctly. It will make a huge difference.

Secondly, get a board that's camber dominant, cheap, and used. Hit up TT. That man has more snowboards than anyone should have. Get a board that's a little bigger. Somewhere in the 162ish range. Beat the shit out of it, find out if snowboarding is your thing and you are going to fall in love with it, and then gear whore like the rest of us and buy about 6/7 more boards that you may ride only once or twice a year hahah

Days riding 16/17: 13
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Matt , what's up!

I've been down the same road years ago . I'm a big Man !! Over 300 but when I was riding hard I cut to about 240 years ago. And I'll have " 2" things to say about a board .
1) go camber first !! You can always fall back to RCR or Rocker board but at your size you will need to have enough edge to hold the weight and camber will keep it pushing down across tip to tail. YES you might take more of a beating at first but that's like a " wright of passage" us old guys had no other choice!! The camber will make you have tight turns without a lot of slop.
2) size) 152 oh no!! Even your smaller guys go up in a freeride and all mountain board! At the min a 164 for you I've had four boards the smallest was a super stiff 162 and as soon as I got on to Blues it wouldn't hold an edge and on ice it would shave the hell out of it but I would never stop. I was 280 back then. Been on a 168 Canyon / custom for ever!!
And just ordered a 172W Skunk Ape , got on a demo last year after some guys suggested it !! a bit more float and edge for my big ASS !! But it is a RCR board the demo was playful !

Good luck

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
a guy of your size on a 152cm board would be hiliarious to watch if you ever picked up any speed.

Camber boards are tough to learn on. I tried to learn on a full camber board and ended up just injuring myself a ton... those boards aren't very forgiving.

I'd go with a rocker camber rocker board that's at least 162 CM. Maybe something with some edge tech like Magnetraction or underbite to help keep your board from washing out. But a lot of those boards aren't meant for the park.

I have no good suggestions for you other than to maybe rethink your criteria and to be careful with full camber boards. They're difficult. Maybe a burton custom flying V that's 162+? Or an Arbor Element 162+?

newby / ski convert

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode