Just another n00b wanting help - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2007, 06:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lowell@ETW

Default Just another n00b wanting help

What up guys and gals. I lurked around for a while and realized it'd be easier to ask ya'll advice than peice bits together from everyone elses questions. This is my third season snowboarding and I can NOT get enough of it. I live in Houston so my trips to the mountains are limited but I'm at a point now where I can go a few times a year, so I want to make the investment for some good gear. I'm looking for boots, bindings, and the board.

Up til this point I've been riding rentals, mostly K2 stuff. I'm pretty general in my riding, I like carving the more aggressive blues, cutting through trees, a little bit of the parks/small jumps, and just cruisin down the mountains. I definately get better every season and want room to grow in all areas. That said,

Height: 5'10"(Closing in on 19yo, so that shouldnt change)
Weight: 190(Will be probably be upto 210ish)
Shoes: 10.5(I've got a wide foot though)

One thing I noticed last year after getting alot more aggressive on the slopes, and also just spending more time on them, was that my shins started to hurt BAD after a couple days. On my last day I really had to baby them, ride on my heels, take it easy, etc. That's without question something I need to address with my gear. Overall budget is 900-1000(boots, bindings, and board), so just by looking around here that should get me some pretty solid stuff. The boots I know I'll just have to go to the store and try stuff on, but if ya'll could help me narrow it down that'd be awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2007, 08:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
thebutress

wtftexas?!?
Old 12-04-2007, 08:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lowell@ETW

Thoughts on Rome? I've read a bunch of good things on the Targas. What about the Rome Anthem board? Also board length?
Old 12-05-2007, 12:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Freebird34

With a budget like that you can pick up some great gear...but just because it costs $600 doesnt mean its what you need. There are a lot of Burton haters around here but burton makes a great board. They're just over priced IMO. Rome makes great gear, I just ordered the 08 Rome Agent and some 08 390 bindings. Its more of a park board though, so I wouldnt suggest that since you're looking for more of an all mountain board. Look in to the Burton custom X or maybe the Capita Photo Fetish, those are great boards. I hear atomic makes great boards too but i have no experience with em, you'll have to ask snowolf about that.

As for sizing you could go from a 156-161 i think(for an all mountian board) and depending on personal preference...any where in there should be good. Someone else will correct me if i'm wrong i'm sure.

Binding...Union, Rome, Burton, Drake....all good bindings. Rome is more park oriented, look in to the Burton P1. But also remember that Burton has a different mounting system than other companies. Union makes a great binding too...lifetime warranty I think and I've never heard a bad thing about them. Dont know much about Drake but a lot of people ride em.

Boots...just try em on at a store. Whatever fits you best is going to be what you should get.

As for your shins, sounds like shin splints to me. I used to get them during football and track, and thats just something that happens. Not much you can do, stretch and take care of your legs. I'm sure it has something to do with your stance as well, snowboarding puts quite a strain on your legs.

Hope that helps a bit.