Advanced Edge Tuning Question - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2009, 06:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Advanced Edge Tuning Question

Im gonna be riding my 2010 lib skate banana 156 for everything...and i mean EVERYTHING. Park, Pow, Groomers and (exclusive to this season and maybe future seasons) some racing. Yet theres a little problem hidden in this all mountain riding that i need to combat.

I detune my edge for my park needs. But for racing, i'm going to need to keep my blades in tact.

Would a 3 degree base bevel, and a 2 degree sidewall bevel provide the best of both worlds?

The 3 degree base bevel will strong enough to allow my edge to rise a little bit. It shouldnt make my edge catch on rails or even catch at all because it's at quite a harsh angle. And steel doesn't slide well against snow anyways, so when flat basing while racing would be even faster. Correct?

The 2 degree would just be that extra sharpness to have my edge at an overall 91 degree's. Only considering the racing.

On top of these extreeme angles, i have magnetraction. Which In my opinion rapes anyways.

For anybody who is an expert with this stuff, criticize me on this idea. For I feel that it is a good idea, but I feel as though I might get a little ahead of myself if i make this decision.

Thanks Ahead,
Matt

Last edited by xxfinnellxx; 12-28-2009 at 02:34 AM.
xxfinnellxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2009, 06:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

actually if your going to do a 3 degree base bevel your going to have to go with a 4 degree side bevel to get a 89 degree angle, if you only go 2 degrees on the side your gunna end up with 91 degrees
slanteye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 01:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

oh duh, stupid math problem... sorry. Still, 1 degree duller from 90 is still do able
Old 12-25-2009, 01:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you're racing don't bother with a fucking banana.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

i heard you can totally detune magnetraction boards and still get good edge hold, but for me, on a regular edged board, i use a 2 degree base and side, and it works ok for rails and stuff, but i still can manage in races, which i also do. its not the best for either but it does both good enough
jtchompy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 03:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Resident poet

what kind of racing, boarder, banked, gated slalom, speed bombing, what conditions, terrain, snow anticipated?...I'd imagine a hard boot alpine would blow any banana out for speed.

just get a board for racing

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 12-25-2009 at 08:17 AM.
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 03:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtchompy View Post
i heard you can totally detune magnetraction boards and still get good edge hold, but for me, on a regular edged board, i use a 2 degree base and side, and it works ok for rails and stuff, but i still can manage in races, which i also do. its not the best for either but it does both good enough
that might be true, i just detuned my GNU chb btx and it has magna as well. it felt too catchy the last time i took it out so we'll see how it does next time i take it out.
rjattack19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
If you're racing don't bother with a fucking banana.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
what kind of racing, boarder, banked, gated slalom, speed bombing, what conditions, terrain, snow anticipated?...I'd imagine a hard boot alpine would blow any banana out for speed.

just get a board for racing
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtchompy View Post
To: BurtonAvenger
Thanks for convincing me

To: WrathfulDiety
Dominantly Boardercross I believe, my coaches are slolom, Boarderx and Banked. And under all conditions. Ill try out a few of my coaches setups and see how they work. But for now its going to be my banana

To: jtchompy
hmm. I might just have to experiment with that. I have a few test boards i can get my hands on
Old 12-28-2009, 12:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i totally agree with burtonavenger...u will get smoked by everyone if u ride on a banana.
u also dont want to be flat basing when ur going to be racing. U will wash out in no time. Those guys are always on there edges. Most of those boarder cross parks are icey and hard packed so u do want hard sharp edges.

Kepp the banana for ur park and for boarder cross get urself a regular camber board that u will treat only for race days. no point of constantly fucking around with your edges and bevels etc