Perfect first board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2009, 09:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Laguna

Post Perfect first board

I know my long post may be too much to read so my questions are:
* What should I look for in a board if I want something long term, all mountain, and also good for learning jumps in a couple years?
* How long does one keep a board? I’m thinking 5 years but I could be wrong.
* My budget is around $200 for my first board. Would it be smarter to pay more for a board that will grow and stay with me longer?
* I’m rather small (and haven’t grown in 6 years) so I could probably use a youth board but I should avoid them right?
* What does it mean to have Cap in the name?
* Are Avalanche or Siren boards any good? I can’t seem to find information on these manufacturers anywhere.
* Is it stupid to get matching bindings for the board I get?

Height: 5'2"
Weight: approx. 105 lbs
Boot Size: 7

I'm new to the boarding scene so I'm looking for input from experienced riders. I took a lesson at Waterville Valley (in NH) this past weekend and I'm addicted to the sport... borderline obsessive really. I've spent the past 5 days researching snowboards (including visiting a few shops) but I'm not really sure what to look for.

I rented some type of Burton 134 (I think LTR?). The guy gave me 134 based on my height though so this doesn't help me pick a size. The problem is I have it ingrained in my head that I can't ride anything longer. I hear it's harder to control and I'm having trouble doing hook/J turns with a 134. I end up switching stance/feet instead of turning (meaning I start going down right foot first then switch to left foot first).

Since I'm just starting, I think what I want is a board that is really versatile. An all mountain board that is also a good freestyle starter board something like the Burton Lux but not as pricey. How long does a board usually last anyways? I'm torn between investing in a pricey board that will last awhile or a beginner board that I'll need to replace. I would like a board I can learn the basics with and hopefully advance to simple jumps/tricks (not this season but perhaps the next).

I’m looking to spend no more than $200 for my first board. From what I've read so far it seems I want a board with a soft to medium flex. The size should be between 138 and 146 but I think I’ll feel more comfortable in the shorter range. I’ve only ridden a 134 so I think 140 is like the max length for me.

Girl's (youth) vs Women's boards… I saw the K2 Kandi in a store but just figured out that it's a youth board. Aside from smaller widths, what is the disadvantage of using youth boards if I fit into the weight category?

I’m really interested in the Atomic Tuesday but can't find it on the manufacturers’ website. I’ve only seen it online… can anyone tell me what the difference between having Cap in the name and not? i.e. Atomic Tuesday Cap (Best Prices On Atomic Tuesday Cap Snowboard 135 - Womens) and the Atomic Tuesday (Best Prices On Atomic Tuesday Snowboard 144 - Womens)

I’ve looked mostly at K2 and Burton boards but those are pretty much out of my budget. I’m interested in a few lesser known boards but can’t find information on the manufacturers or the boards. Does anyone know about the Avalanche Bliss or Siren Sola boards?

Lastly, I know boots and bindings are important so is it a bad idea to get matching bindings for the board? Another board I think might work for me is the Atomic Tika (www.atomicsnowboarding.com). I can’t find this exact model online but I did see it in a store with the Atomic Vanity bindings for $350. The board by itself is $300 in the store (i think).

Thanks for reading this!

Last edited by Laguna; 12-24-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2009, 10:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Is that 200.00 for the board only or is it supposed to include bindings?

Live Hard

"When the Government fears the People there is Liberty, When the People fear the Government, there is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
m60g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Laguna

Quote:
Originally Posted by m60g View Post
Is that 200.00 for the board only or is it supposed to include bindings?
200 for the board only.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

You can use a youth board or a women's board as long as the weight is within spec

Finding a descent board for 200.00 will be tough, unless you wait until the end of the year.

I got my Arbor Element for 257.00 from REI after the season.

Live Hard

"When the Government fears the People there is Liberty, When the People fear the Government, there is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-24-2009, 10:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Check out Ebay

Rossignol Circuit Snowboard 145 mens - eBay (item 400090579490 end time Jan-07-10 06:53:01 PST)

http://sporting-goods.shop.ebay.com/...252D145%2520cm

Live Hard

Old 12-24-2009, 11:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

First of all, you are almost my exact size. I started on a 143 and my current freestyle board is a 141 and my freeride/powder board is a 145. I prefer the 141 for general all-mountain shredding. I find it to be playful and easy to turn, yet long enough to be stable at higher speeds. For you, I wouldn't recommend going any lower than 139 because it won't be very stable once you start cruising. With that being said, you are big enough to ride women's gear. Stay away from youth gear - I have found that it isn't made as well.

How long a board lasts really depends on many factors. How hard will you be shredding? How many days a year do you plan on going? Will you be riding mainly on groomers, or will you be exploring the park/trees? Do you like having the newest equipment? I rode my first board for one season (about 20 days), then put it aside because I wanted a more responsive board. I could easily have used it for at least one more season, but I also like new gear and really wanted to try out something better.

For a board: look for something that comes in your size, since not all boards are made that small. Definitely look for something that can handle all-mountain, but you might want to try an all-mountain freestyle board, which would be a bit softer and thus easier to learn on.

It isn't necessarily stupid to get matching bindings, but it isn't necessary either. Just don't tie yourself down - look for the best binding for the best price and you'll be happy.

Since you're in NH, you'll be riding a lot of ice. Consider getting a board with magnetraction or Vario Grip, which will help you hold an edge in icy conditions.

Boards from M3, 5150, Lamar, LTD, and Avalanche are lower quality than boards from Ride, Rome, K2, Burton, Never Summer, Gnu, Roxy, etc. They won't last as long and won't grow with you, but if money is tight they would be okay to learn on. For me, finding the right board was a trial and error process. My very first board was an Arbor Eden, which I found very hard to turn. In a panic after days and days of constant falling-leaf, I bought a second board: Ride Rapture. I was linking turns easily the first day I took it out. Then this summer I decided I wanted (didn't need, but really wanted ) a better board, so I bought a Never Summer Infinity-R. Love the board, but it's just a tad too long, so I also bought a Gnu B-street. Now I'm happy. But it took me a while to figure out what kind of equipment best suits me. I guess the moral of the story is this: buy a decent board if you know you'll be committed to learning, but don't worry about buying the very best board out there. Eventually you'll be ready for an upgrade and at that time you can demo boards and find one that suits you best.

Some boards that are very popular with beginners because they are quality boards that will allow you to progress for several seasons are:
Atomic Fallen Angel (the Tika might also be a good option, I just don't hear much about it)
Burton Lux
Ride Rapture or Solace
Rome Vinyl
K2 Luna
Never Summer Pandora
Bataleon Distortia
Gnu B-nice

Look around on websites like eBay, Sierrasnowboard.com, usoutdoorstore.com, dogfunk.com, rei.com, and evogear.com to find last year's gear on sale for 50% off. You should be able to get a nice board for a decent price, but you'll have to do some searching. That, or you can wait for another month or so when some of this year's gear will begin to go on sale.

Good luck and have fun finding your board!
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

This is a great deal! Burton GTwin Snowboard - Women's from Dogfunk.com
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Laguna

Wow... thanks for all this information/advice. I really wish I tried snowboarding earlier but I'm looking forward to a great season!

Last edited by Laguna; 12-25-2009 at 12:23 AM.