Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Need help with choosing first board (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/2180-need-help-choosing-first-board.html)

NoSoOp4U 12-04-2007 10:58 PM

Need help with choosing first board

Rome Manual (wide version of crail, same as the flag to anthem i think) or a GNU CHB

paired with either ride Spi (not sure if its too stiff but can get last years for $200CAD off)

or Rome 390 (not sure if these are too stiff either, cost $265CAD probly can get deal 10%off with rome board)

boarderaholic 12-04-2007 11:08 PM

What's your riding style?

NoSoOp4U 12-04-2007 11:12 PM

freeride but i may decide to try freestyle.... who knows...

oh does anyone have a west49 all access pass that i could use to get free shipping on a site :)

lisevolution 12-05-2007 11:10 AM

The Manual is the wide version of the Artifact...it's a jib board more than anything. I'd look at the Slash if I were you... the SPi's are definitely a stiff, very quick responding free-riding binding, not very good for freestyle though as the flexibility isn't there in the high back...if you were only riding the mountain and doing some jumps then the SPi's are great, if you're looking to seriously focus on freestyle I'd avoid them and look at their mvmnt series of bindings

NoSoOp4U 12-05-2007 07:07 PM

ummm, r u sure the manual compares to the artifact because the stats on romes site say the that the manual is a all mountain board. same price as crail. same stats as crail and similar description.

im am looking into my first board as in i am a beginner. thats what i mean is the Spi too stiff, i know its a freeride binding but is it too stiff to learn on. i can get the rx and ex pretty cheap.

Height- 6"
Weight- 220bs (im big :))
Boot- Size 13 (have forum teams :) and you know what they say.... big feet means you have big hands... big hands mean you have .....LOL)

the slash is too much. this is going to be a christmas present... so ya. so lets say $600CADmax on setup

what i meant by "try" freestyle is after ive learnt to ride mountains (good form and stuff) although i think i see myself doing jumps and cruising down the mountain.

any ideas about the GNU CHB tho

jru1 12-05-2007 08:15 PM

Rome machine, 161, if you decide to do freestyle. It is a great freestyle board for big feet.

lisevolution 12-06-2007 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoSoOp4U
ummm, r u sure the manual compares to the artifact because the stats on romes site say the that the manual is a all mountain board. same price as crail. same stats as crail and similar description.

im am looking into my first board as in i am a beginner. thats what i mean is the Spi too stiff, i know its a freeride binding but is it too stiff to learn on. i can get the rx and ex pretty cheap.

Height- 6"
Weight- 220bs (im big :))
Boot- Size 13 (have forum teams :) and you know what they say.... big feet means you have big hands... big hands mean you have .....LOL)

the slash is too much. this is going to be a christmas present... so ya. so lets say $600CADmax on setup

what i meant by "try" freestyle is after ive learnt to ride mountains (good form and stuff) although i think i see myself doing jumps and cruising down the mountain.

any ideas about the GNU CHB tho

Sorry you're right the Manual is the wide Crail, I was confusing it with the Machine...

The GNU CHB is a great board also in terms of learning... you won't be upset with either board. The CHB is a bit flexy with a more freestyle oriented nature but it'll do fine on the regular slopes as well. I like Rome, I ride a Flag 168 myself so I have tendency to lean in the Rome direction but GNU is a great company also.

In terms of the bindings I'd look into the Rome Arsenals or 390's. Since you are new I'm concerned the SPi's will be a bit too touchy while you're learning. The RX is essentially the same binding but has less bells and whistles and a slightly softer high back. You may want to look at the Delta MVMNT from Ride for something with a little less sensitivity...

NoSoOp4U 12-06-2007 08:50 PM

i dont understand what u mean by too touchy. as in u do slightest wrong movement u fall?

do i need to see the board and bindings before i buy.

sooo... if u guys were in my feet, what would you buy out of that list above for a setup????? i was thinking of a maunal 162 and i believe my size 13 forum teams will fit on the 390 or arsenal. my boot is a bit bulky. although when i rented it was different bindings and they fit.

do i get wax, stickers ect with rome if i buy from online store or local store

once again does any1 have a west49 all access pass so i can get free shipping or know of a coupon for Snowboarding with Boardzone

NoSoOp4U 12-08-2007 02:24 AM

i was nice enough to retype it to shorten it :P SO READ IT !!!!!!!!!!!

lisevolution 12-10-2007 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoSoOp4U
i dont understand what u mean by too touchy. as in u do slightest wrong movement u fall?

do i need to see the board and bindings before i buy.

sooo... if u guys were in my feet, what would you buy out of that list above for a setup????? i was thinking of a maunal 162 and i believe my size 13 forum teams will fit on the 390 or arsenal. my boot is a bit bulky. although when i rented it was different bindings and they fit.

do i get wax, stickers ect with rome if i buy from online store or local store

once again does any1 have a west49 all access pass so i can get free shipping or know of a coupon for Snowboarding with Boardzone

What I mean by touchy is that the bindings respond almost instantly to your bodies movements so it's less forgiving of human input errors associated with learning. When first starting out your body isn't always going to do the right thing and with a very sensitive binding you will pay more by catching edges and getting yourself more out of control easier than with a less touchy more forgiving binding like the Arsenal or 390.

If i'm you I go for the arsenal and then next year when you feel more confident with my skills go for a more sensitive set up. Another binding brand you may want to look into is Union. You may be able to find a good deal still on last years from them and they make awesome equipment as well.