quick question (semi-new guy) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2009, 09:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default quick question (semi-new guy)

alright,
i bought a K2 brigade 158 in october, last years model, got a sick deal.
shes got a 2000 extruded base and i had it waxed at sport check about 3 days before i went up to blue mountain.
this is my first snowboard, im not new to the sport, i just used to rent and not go very often, my last time snowboarding was about 3 years ago (im 17 now).
anyways, i knew what i was doing for the most part, i didnt fall too much hahahaha,
i rode for about 4-4.5 hours total
i went over some snow that was not looking very groomed a few times but didnt think much of it
today i got home and i look at my base, it seems that all the wax is gone (looked good when it was fresh from the store and before hitting the ''mountain'') and there are quite a few gashes in the base, like deep scratches, theres about 3-4 running about a 1.5-2+ feet lengthwise down the board and a few 5-6 inch long horizontal ones that are pretty deep

i was just wondering if this should happen, if its normal,will it affect my ride much, and if its not then how can i fix it/prevent it from happening again?
i rode before but never really payed much attention to the gear cuz it wasnt my personal gear.

sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for the help!

-mike
BrightEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2009, 09:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

1 Extruded bases don't hold wax well, wax should be reapplied frequently depending on the snow conditions. 1-3 times out is all you'll get out of it before it needs a fresh coat.

2 Shots to your base can be reduced by not riding over small shrubbery, sticks, rocks, or anything other than snow. If you are hitting features like rails or boxes this is par for the course. Gouges that are not deeper than 3mm can be repaired using P-Tex.

3 Blue Mountain sucks.
bakesale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakesale View Post
1 Extruded bases don't hold wax well, wax should be reapplied frequently depending on the snow conditions. 1-3 times out is all you'll get out of it before it needs a fresh coat.

2 Shots to your base can be reduced by not riding over small shrubbery, sticks, rocks, or anything other than snow. If you are hitting features like rails or boxes this is par for the course. Gouges that are not deeper than 3mm can be repaired using P-Tex.

3 Blue Mountain sucks.
alright thanks a lot, ill google p-tex and see what i gotta do haha,
i know blue mountain ain't great but its among the best here in ontario,
my cousins live in vancouver, we visited about a year and a half ago and went up to whistler and grouse mountain, thats was insane to see but we went during summer so no riding hahaa

thanks again
-mike
BrightEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Read this thread, it's a guide to Snowboard Maintenance and repair put together by a few of our outstanding members. It will teach you how to wax your base, repair your base, and keep your edges tuned.
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...rd-repair.html

Quote:
ontario
Wellll there's yer problem riaght thar.
bakesale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

if u notice white lines along the length of your board then that means that ur wax is gone and u should rewax.

Gouges and deep lines on ur base will only affect ur riding if ur a racer, but if ur just going side to side and just having fun then it shouldnt affect you. U might feel a lill bit slower though.

Those gouges can be easier repaired. They sell P-TEX CANDLES. u melt the candle end with a lighter and then simply drip it along the area of damage. after its cooled off, u file it down, brush it, buff, rewax it etc etc.
and i think they cost like 10 bucks