what board should i get? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2009, 06:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default what board should i get?

i grew up in the midwest, so i got into snowboarding pretty late. i've gone about a dozen times over the past 3 years. but i've never lived close enough to the mountains to go on a regular basis. i'm about to move to new mexico, so i want to get a board. i have a piece of crap now and hate it. i really like the design on the burton custom x. so i'm thinking about buying that. my concern is that it might be beyond my skill level. i can make it down greens fine without falling. i tried a blue last winter (the only trip i made last season) and ended up scraping down most of the way. will a better board like that be too fast and make things even harder? if so, i'll just stick with what i have for another season until i get better. but i really hate my board. so i want to get something i like.
vote4pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2009, 06:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Progress

The Custom X would be fine for you, I don't think the board really will effect you at all. A better board would probably be easier to learn on I think.

I would highly recommend you take a look at the Sierrascope FK Snowboard, Snowboards, Burton Snowboards, Burton Bindings, Burton Boots, and snowboard reviews - Free Shipping - US Orders Over $100
Never Summer SL-R
Never Summer Evo-R
Capita Indoor Survival FK
Lib Tech Skate Banana BTX.

Last edited by Progress; 12-28-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

thanks. i'll look into those. what would you recommend for normal cruising? i'll probably never get into the halfpipe or anything like that. maybe a few jumps at most.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Progress

For Freeriding? I would say any Never Summer Board(They aren't super flex), Burton Custom X, Capita Indoor Survival FK.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

is there much difference in the ride? or should i just pick the prettiest piece of wood at that point?
Old 12-28-2009, 07:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Progress

Absolutely there is! NEVER EVER buy a board on just looks. What kind of boards have you ridden do you know?

You need to really research the board you want, read reviews, look at the specs, everything. If you get a board just on looks and don't know anything about it you will just end up looking like another poser on the hill.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

my current board is an LTD team board. i got it cheap. about $100. what i hate about it is the looks. it's camouflage, which is not me at all. i only got it because it was cheap and i didn't know if i would like snowboarding. i didn't want to buy an expensive board just to let it sit in my garage. as far as buying it for looks, i work in design so it's important to me. not to impress anyone else. i could care less what anyone else thinks. but i like designs that are clean, elegant and simple. i hate boards (or anything else) that scream "hey look at me." that said, looks aren't the most important thing. which is why i asked

so anyway, i just want a nice smooth ride. i'm not overly aggressive. i like to relax and enjoy the scenery. i'm typically drinking hefeweizen and smoking a little green if that gives you any idea.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

im gonna say your a poser if you buy a snowboard based on the graphics... but check out never summer
avenged1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

I would have to say dont get the custom x as a new snowboarder. The board isnt very forgiving to new riders. It is a soft ride, but it has a lot of feel to the board, creating a nice speed and response, but a somewhat bumpy ride.

Look at some ride boards if you are new, something liek the ride agenda which as the slimewalls, The slimewalls help absorb feel on turns. You can go over bumpier terrain without bouncing as much.

If you arent going to do park, and for a new boarder this is what I would get

Ride Agenda- 319
Ride Bindings- (any one that is made of aircraft metal- increases response)

always buy a board that isnt to advance, boards to advanced can be way to responsive, and is much easier to fall...

If you are looking at a Burton, I would get something like the Blunt or the Hero...
kquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by vote4pedro View Post
my current board is an LTD team board. i got it cheap. about $100. what i hate about it is the looks. it's camouflage, which is not me at all. i only got it because it was cheap and i didn't know if i would like snowboarding. i didn't want to buy an expensive board just to let it sit in my garage. as far as buying it for looks, i work in design so it's important to me. not to impress anyone else. i could care less what anyone else thinks. but i like designs that are clean, elegant and simple. i hate boards (or anything else) that scream "hey look at me." that said, looks aren't the most important thing. which is why i asked

so anyway, i just want a nice smooth ride. i'm not overly aggressive. i like to relax and enjoy the scenery. i'm typically drinking hefeweizen and smoking a little green if that gives you any idea.
There is nothing wrong with wanting an attractive looking board to YOUR eye, I to like the board to be pleasing to my eye, but that's not what I buy the board for.

Taking into consideration more of what you will be doing. (lol)

Here are some boards.

'10 Never Summer SL-R
'10 Never Summer Legacy-R
'10 Never Summer Revolver-R
'10 Ride Society
'10 K2 Slayblade
'09 Burton Custom X
'09 Forum Symbol