Help point a noob in the right direction - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 07:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 20
Default Help point a noob in the right direction

Ok, so I have been snowboarding once so far with lessons and I think I am hooked, I am going to rent one more time before putting down some cash. But I want to make sure I have my research and all my bases covered. So if you could help point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

I was looking at these but I think the board might be too short. Ride Control 158, Ride RX bindings

Weight: 200 lbs(and trying to lose more)
Boot size: 10.5(van skate shoes) unfortunately I have Flintstone feet so I need wide boots.
Riding style: Freeride
Age: 25
Budget: ~$400-$500(EDIT: preferably for everything if possible, but I could spend a LITTLE bit more)
Your location of riding: Southern California, Mt. High, Snow Summit, Snow Valley

Thanks

Last edited by Frozen208; 12-29-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Frozen208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-29-2009, 07:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jimster716's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 416
Default

If you're going to be at Mt. High or Snow Summit, the 158 should be fine. You won't have to worry about sinking in powder at those places since there is none. LOL

If you want to stay with Ride, maybe the DH2 or Machete. I don't know if your budget is for board, bindings and boots.
__________________
2011 Never Summer Heritage 158 :: 2011 Rome Targa :: 2012 Bataleon Disaster :: 2012 Flux RK30 :: 2011 Nike Kaiju
jimster716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Milo303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,954
Default

Capita Indoor Survival in a 158-160 would likely be an amazing first board for you considering your budget.

It's got the FK tech which has awesome grip and reverse camber which makes learning a lot easier. Reverse Camber raises your contact points and allows less edge catches while learning, you will learn that's one of the biggest hurdles while learning. The RC also pre shapes the board into the way it bends when carving, making learning to carve easier. And the FK tech is super playful while handling extremely well at high speeds.

May check into a used pair of Union Force or Rome 390's for your bindings.

Be sure to try on a bajillion pairs of boots to allow for a proper find.

Good boot companies are Nike, Vans, and 32 for fatter feets. Supposedly New Balance has a bad ass boot also but I'm not sure if it's a wider boot or not as I havn't tried it on. I personally own the Vans Cirro boots and love em along with the dual boa system. If your gonna go with Boa, make sure to get dual boa....

Good luck and stay away from low end Burton stuff as has a very high chance of prematurely detonating on you. And high end Burton is overpriced, you get the picture ( =
__________________
"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. Thatís my religion." - Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedition View Post
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimster716 View Post
If you're going to be at Mt. High or Snow Summit, the 158 should be fine. You won't have to worry about sinking in powder at those places since there is none. LOL

If you want to stay with Ride, maybe the DH2 or Machete. I don't know if your budget is for board, bindings and boots.
Yeah my tailbone can attest to the over abundance of ice/hardpacked snow at Snow Summit .


$400-500 is preferably for everything, I might get some hookups on a Burton setup(don't know if it will happen or what it would be) but I want something to compare it to, so I am not married to any brand.
Frozen208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Milo303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,954
Default

Oh and make sure to invest in impact shorts. It will shorten your learning curve substantially.

Hrmm if your budget is that low.... You should be able to find decent bindings for $100 or less, but boots will be an issue.... Boots aren't cheap and that's the absolutely last item you want to skimp on. But beware that a big price tag doesn't mean good boot.

Also Fluid on this forum has a Never Summer Evo for sale pretty cheap that would be excellent for you....
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...-r-rocker.html

He may have bindings for sale also if you ask nicely
__________________
"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. Thatís my religion." - Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedition View Post
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 51
Default

If you buy '09 gear, $500 should be plenty boots/boards/bindings. Plenty of good buys out there if you check the various sites.

And for a 10.5 boot, you don't need a wide board.

Last edited by CornedBeef; 01-06-2010 at 05:05 AM.
CornedBeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornedBeef View Post
And for a 10.5 boot, you don't need a wide board.
It would be best to compare the boot size to the board width in order to determine if you need a wide board.
Tarzanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
seant46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Winterpeg
Posts: 758
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo303 View Post
Capita Indoor Survival in a 158-160 would likely be an amazing first board for you considering your budget.

It's got the FK tech which has awesome grip and reverse camber which makes learning a lot easier. Reverse Camber raises your contact points and allows less edge catches while learning, you will learn that's one of the biggest hurdles while learning. The RC also pre shapes the board into the way it bends when carving, making learning to carve easier. And the FK tech is super playful while handling extremely well at high speeds.

May check into a used pair of Union Force or Rome 390's for your bindings.

Be sure to try on a bajillion pairs of boots to allow for a proper find.

Good boot companies are Nike, Vans, and 32 for fatter feets. Supposedly New Balance has a bad ass boot also but I'm not sure if it's a wider boot or not as I havn't tried it on. I personally own the Vans Cirro boots and love em along with the dual boa system. If your gonna go with Boa, make sure to get dual boa....

Good luck and stay away from low end Burton stuff as has a very high chance of prematurely detonating on you. And high end Burton is overpriced, you get the picture ( =
you REALLY like to recommend capita to everyone don't you?
seant46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Milo303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,954
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seant46 View Post
you REALLY like to recommend capita to everyone don't you?
It's all I currently ride.

Go hop on an FK board and you will see why I recommend them to everyone.
__________________
"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. Thatís my religion." - Abraham Lincoln
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedition View Post
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
seant46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Winterpeg
Posts: 758
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo303 View Post
It's all I currently ride.

Go hop on an FK board and you will see why I recommend them to everyone.
I know just observing. I love my ultrafear so i know what you mean.
seant46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums