Ride Machete or Burton Joystick - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2009, 01:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ride Machete or Burton Joystick

If you had your choice. I live in Michigan, generally hard packed snow. I don't do the park just screw around on the hill.

I'm 5' 10", 160 lbs, I guess advanced beginner? Don't need reasons as to why, just need a lil push in the right direction.

Thanks.
Odine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2009, 01:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odine View Post
If you had your choice. I live in Michigan, generally hard packed snow. I don't do the park just screw around on the hill.

I'm 5' 10", 160 lbs, I guess advanced beginner? Don't need reasons as to why, just need a lil push in the right direction.

Thanks.
I'd close my eyes and pick one lol. I live in Mi too and yea, snow sucks here. Been a really light season so far.

I do hear rave reviews of the Joystick though. Just remember, the Joystick is going to make you get EST bindings. Unless you want to do the conversion plate thing
Old 12-31-2009, 01:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:

Thanks.
I was considering on getting a Joystick myself, until the sales rep was pushing me to change out my bindings with an EST binding. That was pretty much the deal breaker on the Joystick. I personally don't have any experience with the conversion plate, but I'm not too excited about it. Plus the sales rep will never get me out of my Flow NXT's LOL
SnoRidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Go with the Machete between those two options.
AWNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

That's part of the reason I really wanted the Machete. Cause I LOVE Flow's. I was gonna get the NXT AT's (I think) and from what I know, they fit as is with the Machete. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If I got the Joystick, I'd get the corresponding bindings, not a big deal either way I guess.

I shoulda started a poll. I'm buying tomorrow tho, and rather than closing my eyes and throwing my CC at the rep, just gonna let you folks help me decide =).

Thanks for the responses thus far!
Old 12-31-2009, 02:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

I created a review on the 09 Flow NXT AT bindings. Feel free to check it out. Linky below.
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/bin...9-nxt-ats.html
Old 12-31-2009, 02:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoRidr View Post
I created a review on the 09 Flow NXT AT bindings. Feel free to check it out. Linky below.
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/bin...9-nxt-ats.html
Good read. Sound like they have the same issues of the m11's, basically with that high back or w/e needing to be all the way down to slide in. My only gripe with the m11's was that after it got real cold, it was near impossible to adjust the top band to fit my feet in. My own dumbass fault tho for not fine tuning before jumping on the hill this year. But killed my hand trying to release it for some give. Any idea what the major differences are between the m11's and the nxt at's? Besides weight (the NXT's look a lot lighter imo).
Old 12-31-2009, 02:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Good read. Sound like they have the same issues of the m11's, basically with that high back or w/e needing to be all the way down to slide in. My only gripe with the m11's was that after it got real cold, it was near impossible to adjust the top band to fit my feet in. My own dumbass fault tho for not fine tuning before jumping on the hill this year. But killed my hand trying to release it for some give. Any idea what the major differences are between the m11's and the nxt at's? Besides weight (the NXT's look a lot lighter imo).
The NXT's have all aluminum baseplates while the M11s are molded plastic. Other than that, I don't know if there is much of a difference between the two in terms of performance. Obviously aluminum is more durable. I also think the weight is about the same between the two (NXTs could be a tad heavier). The 2010 M11's would work well IMHO. I scored my 09 NXT AT's on sale so that's what I ended up with. I definitely recommend the NXT series if you have the funds, or you can find something on sale. If not, the M11 would work very nicely. After the M-11, Flow's line up starts to dwindle in performance IMHO. I have read posts on this forum that anything below the M11 in recent years turned out to be complete garbage. Stick with the NXT or M11 line up and you should be fine.

FWIW, the highback is not really an issue for me any more. I have adapted to it, and it is pretty simple to get out of. The binding has also molded very nicely to my boot as well.

My wife and I have really enjoyed the NXTs this year! She has the NXT Primas. I always smile when I am at the top of a run and people look at us when they here that "click" of the highback and see us cruising off.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

there are not many reviews on the joystick but from the ones that are out there it seems like it is a great all mountain board. The est system seems to be keeping many people from riding it since they don't want to buy the bindings too.
djsaad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

I guess what it comes down to is which board is going to handle the shitty Michigan icy slopes better lol. And I haven't been able to find ANYONE that has experience with both boards. Goin crazy! There's only so much information I can absorb here =).